Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:42:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will people be selling after the 1st of the year for tax benefits?  (Read 4300 times)
btcprice (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:16:52 PM

A lot of bitcoiners and altcoiners made a lot of money this year with the runup. If they cash out their profit before the end of the calendar year they (theoretically) have to pay taxes on their gains.

I'm guessing a lot of people are waiting until after the 1st of the year to sell their coins in order to cash out and realize a profit. Cashing out after the 1st of the year allows them one whole year to find tax havens such as mortgage interest and Roth IRAs.

Will people be selling a lot after the 1st of the year?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:16:29 PM

Yes everyone will cash out at once  Roll Eyes

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:56:15 PM

Cashing out after the 1st of the year allows them one whole year to find tax havens such as mortgage interest and Roth IRAs.
...While not cashing out saves them this headache altogether... hmmm.
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:29:11 PM

hodl instead of sodl until 2016???
Joe200

Activity: 317

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:34:30 PM

I'm guessing a lot of people are waiting until after the 1st of the year to sell their coins in order to cash out and realize a profit. Cashing out after the 1st of the year allows them one whole year to find tax havens such as mortgage interest and Roth IRAs.

My understanding of tax law in the US is that, for forex (and bitcoin), you pay taxes on a marked to market basis. You calculate dollars out (or dollar value of bitcoins) minus dollars in, and pay taxes on that. It does not matter whether you "cash out" or not -- the tax is the same.
Soopaman

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:37:02 PM

My understanding of tax law in the US is that, for forex (and bitcoin), you pay taxes on a marked to market basis. You calculate dollars out (or dollar value of bitcoins) minus dollars in, and pay taxes on that. It does not matter whether you "cash out" or not -- the tax is the same.

If you've been hodling since the beginning of the year and haven't done any day trading, you don't have any taxes since you haven't realized profits. I think the idea here is that some of these long term hodlers may be waiting for the beginning of the year to realize their profits so the income isn't factored into their 2013 taxes when they file them in April.
virtualfaqs

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 09:39:13 PM

If you've been hodling since the beginning of the year and haven't done any day trading, you don't have any taxes since you haven't realized profits. I think the idea here is that some of these long term hodlers may be waiting for the beginning of the year to realize their profits so the income isn't factored into their 2013 taxes when they file them in April.

That's what I was thinking. Also another strategy is if you sold during the year and rebought. If the price drops significantly, you can resell and rebuy to offset capital losses, but with slippage that might not work at all.

https://twitter.com/virtualfaqs
Looking for altcoin pump advice? Then follow me.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:53:33 PM

I sold ~$50k this year (Novemberish) to see what will happen with my taxes. I should know by April 15th if I'm going to continue to live in the US or not as I still own coin. If you guys want, I can start a blog about it or something. Right now I'm just doing as many home improvements and charity donations as I feasibly can.
nastybit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:59:36 PM

A lot of bitcoiners and altcoiners made a lot of money this year with the runup. If they cash out their profit before the end of the calendar year they (theoretically) have to pay taxes on their gains.

There will be no major cash out, US citizens only hold a small part of the BTC in circulation
And you forget that holders are greedy, we are all waiting for the next bubble aren't we
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:03:06 AM

I was wondering the same thing.

neordicICE

Activity: 505

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:19:23 AM

There will be no major cash out, US citizens only hold a small part of the BTC in circulation
And you forget that holders are greedy, we are all waiting for the next bubble aren't we

This applies to most countries I guess, I mean paying taxes from income in previous year  Smiley
And I dont plan to sell, because the right time to sell is when you dont need to sell anymore
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:32:23 AM

Do bitcoin profits count for taxes if you only have usd on an exchange but haven't withdrawn?  Bitcoin is very risky - I could make another trade tomorrow and lose it all or the exchanges could shut down and run away with the funds, get seized, or get hacked, and I could lose everything that way. This type of exchange risk isn't there in the stock market. The money I have on exchange is like imaginary cloud money goxbux disneydollars etc that could all be lost - I don't see it as real money that I've actually made yet. So I don't think taxes should need to be paid anyway until you actually withdraw USD back to a bank. What do you guys think?

In fact I lost money from BitFloor - can I deduct that?
freethink2013

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:35:29 AM

I presume we can deduct silk road loses?
btcprice (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:55:03 AM

I sold ~$50k this year (Novemberish) to see what will happen with my taxes. I should know by April 15th if I'm going to continue to live in the US or not as I still own coin. If you guys want, I can start a blog about it or something. Right now I'm just doing as many home improvements and charity donations as I feasibly can.

Or if you could post in this thread. I think I will do the same.

The problem is how many accountants are well-versed in bitcoin, not to mention altcoin transactions? Would your local CPA know how the IRS considers these investment vehicles? Or am I going to have to find a bitcoin accountant online?

I'll try doing Google searches to find out.
btcprice (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:55:55 AM

Do bitcoin profits count for taxes if you only have usd on an exchange but haven't withdrawn?  Bitcoin is very risky - I could make another trade tomorrow and lose it all or the exchanges could shut down and run away with the funds, get seized, or get hacked, and I could lose everything that way. This type of exchange risk isn't there in the stock market. The money I have on exchange is like imaginary cloud money goxbux disneydollars etc that could all be lost - I don't see it as real money that I've actually made yet. So I don't think taxes should need to be paid anyway until you actually withdraw USD back to a bank. What do you guys think?

All good questions. I'll try to find out by finding an accountant who has experience with these things.
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:19:21 AM

Do bitcoin profits count for taxes if you only have usd on an exchange but haven't withdrawn?  Bitcoin is very risky - I could make another trade tomorrow and lose it all or the exchanges could shut down and run away with the funds, get seized, or get hacked, and I could lose everything that way. This type of exchange risk isn't there in the stock market. The money I have on exchange is like imaginary cloud money goxbux disneydollars etc that could all be lost - I don't see it as real money that I've actually made yet. So I don't think taxes should need to be paid anyway until you actually withdraw USD back to a bank. What do you guys think?

Many people think this but it is wrong per US law.  Any transactions are considered taxable, it doesn't matter if you withdrawal the funds or not.  Poker players on Stars or Tilt asked many of the same questions who were in a very similar situation. 

Think of it as day trading.  You add funds to ETrade.  You buy and sell Tesla stock.  You make money on some trades, you lose some.  You never withdrawal funds.  You still owe taxes on all the trades. Smiley

Now of course how does the IRS track offshore trading platforms...that should be the next question...ie, they can't.  The US tax system is mainly based on the honor system.  Until you get audited of course!
the_sunship

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:37:30 AM

Or if you could post in this thread. I think I will do the same.

The problem is how many accountants are well-versed in bitcoin, not to mention altcoin transactions? Would your local CPA know how the IRS considers these investment vehicles? Or am I going to have to find a bitcoin accountant online?

I'll try doing Google searches to find out.

I'd also like to find an accountant who understands bitcoin as mine is considering it currency trading ala Forex. I don't know if that is correct or not. I'd be happy to go to someone else who is an expert in this. There were a lot of losses and even more wins.

If names come up, please let us know. I'll also look....
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:38:42 AM

Do bitcoin profits count for taxes if you only have usd on an exchange but haven't withdrawn?  
Yes. But without that USD entering your bank account, how will IRS know?

Question is, will you report each trade?  Wink

Hell, BTC-E doesn't even require dox.....

(ahem, I mean, pay your taxes......)

Cheesy
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 01:41:58 AM

It would be more wise for those who are taking earnings out throughout 2014 to take it out steadily throughout the year.

To take it out on January 1 when the price could jump 10x (as it has done most years) by 2015 would be foolish.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:50:50 AM

Do bitcoin profits count for taxes if you only have usd on an exchange but haven't withdrawn?  
Yes. But without that USD entering your bank account, how will IRS know?

Question is, will you report each trade?  Wink

Hell, BTC-E doesn't even require dox.....

(ahem, I mean, pay your taxes......)

Cheesy
This is pretty tricky because I've sent lots of coin between exchanges and arbitraged btc and alt coins. So I'll try telling my accountant "I bought some btc at btce and sent it to mcxnow where I traded worldcoin. Then I bought litecoin and sent to cryptsy where I bought ppc and sent it back to btce. I now have a portfolio of usd, btc, ltc, ftc, and xpm which have weekly fluctations inbetween some value and no value."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: