Bitcoin Forum
August 16, 2024, 09:41:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NixZiZ's mining rigs  (Read 4930 times)
leewilson

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:16:21 PM

GOD thats neat.. what cards are those? and whats the PSU watts?

I don't know what the cards are. I think it's a 1200 watt psu.

The image came from google.

My rigs have 4 7950 cards per rig in a plastic crate with 8 gb ram and a quad core cpu (yes i cpu mine cpu only coins) and a 1250 watt Seasonic psu.

You are right on with the posted photo's psu wattage.  It is a Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State BlockNet can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State BlockNet to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State BlockNet.” - Joseph Goebbels
NixZiZ (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:22:53 PM

http://www.uline.ca/BL_7652/Anti-Static-Air
http://www.uline.ca/Product/ProductDetailRootItem.Aspx?modelnumber=S-16317

Welp, there's your case and packing material.

Time to buy some milk crates Smiley

http://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-4318/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/15-x-15-x-15-Corrugated-Boxes

The box.

Ok, so I think I'll knock $100 off the base price Smiley

EDIT: Reduction made!
leewilson

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:35:22 PM

For some inspiration.

GOD thats neat.. what cards are those? and whats the PSU watts?

Those cards/gpus are 5870's.  I found the original thread that the photo came from.  I will post it momentarily.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State BlockNet can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State BlockNet to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State BlockNet.” - Joseph Goebbels
leewilson

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:42:32 PM

http://www.uline.ca/BL_7652/Anti-Static-Air
http://www.uline.ca/Product/ProductDetailRootItem.Aspx?modelnumber=S-16317

Welp, there's your case and packing material.

Time to buy some milk crates Smiley

http://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-4318/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/15-x-15-x-15-Corrugated-Boxes

The box.

Ok, so I think I'll knock $100 off the base price Smiley

EDIT: Reduction made!

Hey NixZiZ,

If you want to ever try the open air build as pictured (not the milk crates) then here is the original thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=29729.0
It is originally from 2011 and at that time the price was ~$100.00.  And it looks to involve a bit more work than the milk crates unless you are setting up jigs and assembly lining it.

Good luck with your venture.

Mortimer452

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:13:34 PM

I'm not sure what the BFD is with using open cases versus a normal chassis for GPU mining rigs.

With proper airflow front to back, I'm sure they would stay plenty cool.  *WITH* proper airflow.

I used to work in a data center and we put together servers all the time.  Most of the time, an open case was actually worse for cooling, because it disrupts the front-to-back airflow the chassis is designed for. 

Closed case: Cool air gets sucked through the front, channeled over components and hot air shoots out the back, 100% of moving air comes directly in contact with components and cools them down

Open case:  Cool air gets sucked in through the front, but most of it ends up shooting out the sides instead of being funneled directly over the components as it is with a closed chassis
NixZiZ (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:35:18 PM

I'm not sure what the BFD is with using open cases versus a normal chassis for GPU mining rigs.

With proper airflow front to back, I'm sure they would stay plenty cool.  *WITH* proper airflow.

I used to work in a data center and we put together servers all the time.  Most of the time, an open case was actually worse for cooling, because it disrupts the front-to-back airflow the chassis is designed for. 

Closed case: Cool air gets sucked through the front, channeled over components and hot air shoots out the back, 100% of moving air comes directly in contact with components and cools them down

Open case:  Cool air gets sucked in through the front, but most of it ends up shooting out the sides instead of being funneled directly over the components as it is with a closed chassis

Yeah, I agree fully. People want the crates though... so the crates they get. Although the risers are expensive ($20?! WOW) and take forever to ship (Over a week shipping). So I'll probably have to raise my prices a little bit anyways.

So I ordered a milk crate, a riser cable... and a mechanical keyboard. I'll need it with all the typing I'm doing. I'm wearing out me lycosa! (Protip: Those keyboards are not all that good. They feel like my cheap OEM keyboard. Do not buy those!)
Mortimer452

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:57:16 PM

Yeah, I agree fully. People want the crates though... so the crates they get. Although the risers are expensive ($20?! WOW) and take forever to ship (Over a week shipping). So I'll probably have to raise my prices a little bit anyways.

So I ordered a milk crate, a riser cable... and a mechanical keyboard. I'll need it with all the typing I'm doing. I'm wearing out me lycosa! (Protip: Those keyboards are not all that good. They feel like my cheap OEM keyboard. Do not buy those!)

I suppose most of it probably has to do with cost.  Crates are cheap and give you enough room to install 4-5 cards on a single mobo with the riser cables.  Plus, they help eliminate the need to buy a few 80mm fans to get the airflow going right.
NixZiZ (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:16:17 AM

I suppose most of it probably has to do with cost.  Crates are cheap and give you enough room to install 4-5 cards on a single mobo with the riser cables.  Plus, they help eliminate the need to buy a few 80mm fans to get the airflow going right.

True. Although to be honest a crate costs nearly as much as a proper case... but again, the density you can get with the crates is far better.

Hooray for anti-static bubble wrap... it makes it possible for me to ship the crates.

I will take pictures of the crate box once the riser cables arrive. For now, just take my word that I can build crate systems too.
NixZiZ (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:20:31 AM

I can do some quad card systems in the HAF case for $3200 or so.

Please remember that I am shoving lots of air through these cards. I will be using corsair SP fans for static pressure.

You will not have any issues with cooling, 85 degrees is fine with these cards.
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:21:29 AM

Have you actually run a "miner" for any extended period of time with 2+ cards inside a computer case? Even with 120mm fans going full speed, I'm willing to bet that temps will be over 80*C on each card.  With any amount of overclocking, the cards simply will not be stable.  

I'm all for people trying to make a buck, but you're simply not offering anything the majority of people on here can't do themselves (and worse actually).

I will be extremely surprised if you get your 10 preorders.

EDIT: Bfljosh, I was going to suggest something like that as well.

OP, if you want to make some money selling digital shovels, do some research on what's actually selling first.

As for the stress testing, all you're really doing is generating an alternative income stream for yourself.  

Finally, I saw in one of your other threads, you posted an invoice from Tigerdirect w/ your parts costs, you're asking for way too much of a mark up on something that requires no special skills.
that, and the milk crate idea and photos are documented on cryptobadger.com  that guy was selling that type of rig a year ago, so this effort is a bit late to the party.  

http://www.cryptobadger.com/2013/04/build-a-litecoin-mining-rig-hardware/

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
NixZiZ (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:43:44 AM

Have you actually run a "miner" for any extended period of time with 2+ cards inside a computer case? Even with 120mm fans going full speed, I'm willing to bet that temps will be over 80*C on each card.  With any amount of overclocking, the cards simply will not be stable.  

I'm all for people trying to make a buck, but you're simply not offering anything the majority of people on here can't do themselves (and worse actually).

OP, if you want to make some money selling digital shovels, do some research on what's actually selling first.

As for the stress testing, all you're really doing is generating an alternative income stream for yourself.  

Finally, I saw in one of your other threads, you posted an invoice from Tigerdirect w/ your parts costs, you're asking for way too much of a mark up on something that requires no special skills.
that, and the milk crate idea and photos are documented on cryptobadger.com  that guy was selling that type of rig a year ago, so this effort is a bit late to the party.  

The invoice etc changed... and a $100 mark up after my expenses is a lot?
Sure, I make some coin for 48 hours... but that means a dead box does not arrive at your house. Would you rather me use a synthetic which is not a mining workload?
I got the milk crate idea from a picture in this thread, so yes it has already been done. Although it seems that some people want the milk crates, but I would be glad (Happier even) to just build it into a case. Over 80 degree temps are FINE if the cards are rated for 95.
NixZiZ (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 02:05:57 PM

The invoice etc changed... and a $100 mark up after my expenses is a lot?
Sure, I make some coin for 48 hours... but that means a dead box does not arrive at your house. Would you rather me use a synthetic which is not a mining workload?
I got the milk crate idea from a picture in this thread, so yes it has already been done. Although it seems that some people want the milk crates, but I would be glad (Happier even) to just build it into a case. Over 80 degree temps are FINE if the cards are rated for 95.

One of the reasons the mark-up is perceived as high is because we actually order extra parts when I build these machines. I order extra parts so a failed part during testing does not hold up the receiving of the product to the person who bought it.
kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:27:20 PM

One of the reasons the mark-up is perceived as high is because we actually order extra parts when I build these machines. I order extra parts so a failed part during testing does not hold up the receiving of the product to the person who bought it.
so the markup is due to your high component failure rate? that's what your mfg. warranty is for; you're not out of pocket if you do the RMA instead of throwing the part in the trash can.

i've never heard of a computer assembler that passes this expense to their customers.  that's a really odd way of building computers.

NixZiZ (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 07:23:46 PM

so the markup is due to your high component failure rate? that's what your mfg. warranty is for; you're not out of pocket if you do the RMA instead of throwing the part in the trash can.

i've never heard of a computer assembler that passes this expense to their customers.  that's a really odd way of building computers.

There you go. I now make only around $20 per computer at 1350.
475 per added GPU... yeah I don't make much money at all off this, after the risers etc.

These are pretty much the lowest prices I can do. I really cannot do better than this without pretty much giving them away for less than cost.
Nullu

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 07:26:25 PM

I could probably put together some decent quotes for some great mining rigs. I have some good experience in Watercooling also, so could spec up some nice overclocking rigs.

I have no interest in selling them, though, so if I did a thread on some fully specced rig designs I'd probably just appreciate the odd donations for my time.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
NixZiZ (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:11:38 PM

I could probably put together some decent quotes for some great mining rigs. I have some good experience in Watercooling also, so could spec up some nice overclocking rigs.

I have no interest in selling them, though, so if I did a thread on some fully specced rig designs I'd probably just appreciate the odd donations for my time.

I may actually be doing a custom watercooled rig for a miner here. I also have some watercooling experience.

Quad 7990, quick disconnect fittings, corsair 900D, etc. If anyone else wants me to do a fully custom rig, I do them.
kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:27:52 PM

i've never heard of a computer assembler that passes this expense to their customers.  that's a really odd way of building computers.

475 per added GPU... yeah I don't make much money at all off this, after the risers etc.

These are pretty much the lowest prices I can do. I really cannot do better than this without pretty much giving them away for less than cost.
what i mean is, i have run computer businesses before in canada.  the margins aren't great, so i've never ordered 'extra parts'.  you're not handling your DOA and defective inventory properly.  passing MFG defect cost to the end user makes your pricing uncompetitive.  nobody else in the industry does this.

if you get a defective video card or ram, why on earth are you charging your customer for the parts that 'fail during testing'?  why don't you get a refund from the manufacturer because it was a DEFECTIVE product?  that's what a warranty is for.  when you get an account with a supplier (i.e. not tigerdirect), they give you RMA numbers to expedite the process.

NixZiZ (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:33:34 PM

i've never heard of a computer assembler that passes this expense to their customers.  that's a really odd way of building computers.

what i mean is, i have run computer businesses before in canada.  the margins aren't great.  you're not handling your DOA and defective inventory properly.  passing MFG defect cost to the end user makes your pricing uncompetitive.  nobody else in the industry does this.

if you get a defective video card or ram, why on earth are you charging your customer for the parts that 'fail during testing'?  why don't you get a refund from the manufacturer because it was a DEFECTIVE product?  that's what a warranty is for.  that's what RMA forms are for. 

Please be aware that I am a VERY VERY low volume computer seller. Ok, sure, I can RMA defective parts, which I will do after I have to drop my prices to 1350 as I make, again, almost no money.

The thing is that a RMA often takes weeks, and some people would be mighty pissed if I had to hold their product for a few weeks because I have to RMA a bad part etc etc. Well, that's where I am coming from.
kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:39:04 PM

Please be aware that I am a VERY VERY low volume computer seller. Ok, sure, I can RMA defective parts, which I will do after I have to drop my prices to 1350 as I make, again, almost no money.

The thing is that a RMA often takes weeks, and some people would be mighty pissed if I had to hold their product for a few weeks because I have to RMA a bad part etc etc. Well, that's where I am coming from.
the margins are too small for you to make a profit - why do it if you're not making any money?

if you have an account with a supplier, your RMA gets processed according to the terms of the contract.  You can't compete on price and turnaround if your supplier is tigerdirect.

you must differentiate your product to justify asking for a higher price.  you can set whatever price you want, if you can show the customer value for money.  Apple does it, Lenovo does it, Asus, ATI, and nVidia do it too.

kalnas

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:45:09 PM

Thats when you need some mobo shit to be cooled passivelly by airflow, like chipset, ram ,hdd, etc.  For mining rig this doesn't matter and GPU has active coooling system, so it sucks air itself and don't care about air flow inside case.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: