Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:28:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meze Grill not actually an exchange  (Read 1743 times)
oneforall (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:09:37 AM
Merited by hdfxst (5), critmass (4)

I just left the Meze Grill in NYC after finding out that they knew nothing of Bruce's post(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32162.0) claiming that they are now a bitcoin/usd exchange. the employee i spoke with told me that all they do is sell food for bitcoins and sell bitcoins for usd, they wont buy bitcoins for usd.

So Bruce, if you could go ahead and fix your post that would be great and would save other people from wasting an afternoon of their lives. thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:39:14 AM

Bruce, aloof... again....   Roll Eyes

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 02:49:00 AM

You could have used a phone to call meze grill to verify.

Don't blame your wasted day on Bruce. Bruce is just trying to help and a technicality is an understandable mistake for a hardworking individual broadcasting information.

Be humble!
oneforall (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:01:57 AM

Don't blame your wasted day on Bruce. Bruce is just trying to help and a technicality is an understandable mistake for a hardworking individual broadcasting information.

Trust me, from now on I will verify EVERYTHING I hear from bruce before acting on it.

There is nobody to blame here but bruce, he told a lie. silence is better than falsities, if you don't know something, and dont want to to the research on it, then simply dont claim it. it really is that simple.

how is saying things that are not true "trying to help"?  maybe he should just start prefacing everything he says with "wouldn't it be nice if.." instead of making his hopes and dreams sound like they are realities. i appreciate that he is trying to help, but more and more it seems like he is trying to help his own investment by hyping bitcoin up with lies to make it sound like the community is more advanced than it is.  his constant exaggeration is truly a shame. there is enough happening that news does not need to be made up.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:06:01 AM

Trust me, from now on I will verify EVERYTHING I hear from bruce before acting on it.

There is nobody to blame here but bruce, he told a lie. silence is better than falsities, if you don't know something, and dont want to to the research on it, then simply dont claim it. it really is that simple.

how is saying things that are not true "trying to help"?  maybe he should just start prefacing everything he says with "wouldn't it be nice if.." instead of making his hopes and dreams sound like they are realities. i appreciate that he is trying to help, but more and more it seems like he is trying to help his own investment by hyping bitcoin up with lies to make it sound like the community is more advanced than it is.  his constant exaggeration is truly a shame. there is enough happening that news does not need to be made up.

Maybe they stopped after the MyBitcoin Debacle.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:07:27 AM

I just left the Meze Grill in NYC after finding out that they knew nothing of Bruce's post(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32162.0) claiming that they are now a bitcoin/usd exchange. the employee i spoke with told me that all they do is sell food for bitcoins and sell bitcoins for usd, they wont buy bitcoins for usd.

So Bruce, if you could go ahead and fix your post that would be great and would save other people from wasting an afternoon of their lives. thanks!

Are you in reference to this post, onward?: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5952.msg401402#msg401402
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:11:05 AM

Just want to point out that not every instance of saying something false is also an instance of lying.  Often people make false statements which they sincerely believe to be true.  When that happens it's just called "being mistaken".

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
oneforall (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:26:12 AM

Just want to point out that not every instance of saying something false is also an instance of lying.  Often people make false statements which they sincerely believe to be true.  When that happens it's just called "being mistaken".

if a person habitually makes false statements, eventually it shifts from innocent accidental mispeaks to lies. you can cry wolf, and say you thought you saw a wolf only so many times until eventually people start to doubt that you really did see a wolf in the first place. Bruce has put himself in a position of reporter, if he wants to be trusted than he should take the time to verify what he is reporting.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:29:40 AM

if a person habitually makes false statements, eventually it shifts from innocent accidental mispeaks to lies. you can cry wolf, and say you thought you saw a wolf only so many times until eventually people start to doubt that you really did see a wolf in the first place. Bruce has put himself in a position of reporter, if he wants to be trusted than he should take the time to verify what he is reporting.
What does he lie about on a continual bases?  Regardless, why are you going to a restaurant to sell Bitcoins anyways? Sounds stupid as hell, just sit down (PAY WITH BITCOINS) and enjoy your meal...
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:38:24 AM

Why can't you sell bitcoins for USD on MTGOX, tradehill, etc?

Be humble!
Disposition

Activity: 121

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:42:34 AM

for the record in a later post with more detail it says to make appointments first. we really need better ways to aggregate information. I'll call the owner of Meze Grill tomorrow and get a detail info regarding this and post an update on Bitcoin Navigator since it's a physical bitcoin matter.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:47:28 AM

Regardless, why are you going to a restaurant to sell Bitcoins anyways? Sounds stupid as hell, just sit down (PAY WITH BITCOINS) and enjoy your meal...

When you go to various shops here in Australia and pay electronically - you often get the option to withdraw a bit of cash at the same time. It's convenient.

It would make sense for a merchant such as Meze grill to have a fairly small limit on the amount of funds you can exchange - and also to require a purchase along with any 'exchange' transaction.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
FlipPro
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:54:46 AM

Regardless, why are you going to a restaurant to sell Bitcoins anyways? Sounds stupid as hell, just sit down (PAY WITH BITCOINS) and enjoy your meal...

When you go to various shops here in Australia and pay electronically - you often get the option to withdraw a bit of cash at the same time. It's convenient.

It would make sense for a merchant such as Meze grill to have a fairly small limit on the amount of funds you can exchange - and also to require a purchase along with any 'exchange' transaction.

Cash-back is irrelevant with Bitcoin. Not even close to the same thing...
julz
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:21:52 AM

FFS. Does *everything* have to be explained to you?  If you think the idea of getting cash for some bitcoins while at a shop which also accepts bitcoins sounds 'stupid as hell' and if you can't see the parallel to using some other electronic payment system in a traditional shop and getting goods plus cash.. there really is no hope for you.
Stay out of threads you don't understand.

bittersweet

Activity: 222

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:34:43 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2011, 08:43:00 AM by bittersweet

Word of an advice, take everything what BW says with a grain of salt.
BW isn't lying but often he is overzealous spin doctor and so isn't really the best source of reliable information.

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
FlipPro
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 04:52:25 AM

FFS. Does *everything* have to be explained to you?  If you think the idea of getting cash for some bitcoins while at a shop which also accepts bitcoins sounds 'stupid as hell' and if you can't see the parallel to using some other electronic payment system in a traditional shop and getting goods plus cash.. there really is no hope for you.
Stay out of threads you don't understand.

Whats the point of cash-back if Bitcoin IS cash Julz?
julz
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:04:56 AM

The point is it's not the *only* cash.
In an economy where both are accepted it makes sense for people
a)  to pay local currency - get goods/services + BTC
b) pay BTC - get goods/services + local currency.
Think especially tourists/backpackers!

Sorry for being snarky with you..  you sometimes manage to push my buttons as much as the SA crowd seem to irk you Wink

FlipPro
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 05:17:50 AM

Sorry for being snarky with you..  you sometimes manage to push my buttons as much as the SA crowd seem to irk you Wink

Better me than them lol Smiley. I think they lost their funny at about page 200. The more the Bitcoin economy grows/stabilizes the stupider they look.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 06:03:39 AM

MG: That comes to $7.93.
Me: Here's a $10. May I have the change back in BTC?
MG:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: