Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:38:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Bounty] New GPU Miner - Scrypter  (Read 3683 times)
barruka

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:23:10 PM

when you want someone makes something for you... you must pay, that's it my friend, the world works this way

but I don't care if anyone wants to make it by free, not my problem Wink

maardein

Activity: 420

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:37:29 PM

I completely agree with you that it would be great to have a dedicated gpu scrypt miner! Cudaminer/cpuminer are constantly making updates with small improvements, and it is really sad that the biggest group, the ati miners, are not getting any updated client anymore Sad

@barruka: I think you should see the bounty as a nice incentive, not as a full payment for all your hours. If you manage to make a better performing gpu miner, you will probably get a lot of recognition and tips afterwards on this forum.

BTC: 1788UegKXGXXicfPcbZ1bmSUJ99ZWRCF7p
LTC: LZ2rCcoxK4X8wRRynqdxoimd4d3TDNk7Lk
PMP: PApSSdorQds5tQysymwDXPAN3viJLFTUs8
DarkKnight (OP)

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:38:39 PM

I completely agree with you that it would be great to have a dedicated gpu scrypt miner! Cudaminer/cpuminer are constantly making updates with small improvements, and it is really sad that the biggest group, the ati miners, are not getting any updated client anymore Sad

Agreed. Altcoins are here to stay and are in the golden age of GPU mining. Some coins will undoubtedly last longer (LTC) than others (barrukacoin comes to mind Roll Eyes). Meanwhile, Luke-jr would have you believe improving his BFGMiner is the path to take, all the while removing GPU support piece by piece, further specializing his software toward ASICs. If I read his change log right, he hasn't made a single improvement to GPU mining since July, and in November removed OpenCL from compiling by default. It's okay though, because "Support will remain".

No, It's time GPUs had their own dedicated mining tool, and a development community to keep improving it.
efx

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:43:35 PM

Luke Jr. is almost completely delusional. His belief that scrypt is an invalid PoW algorithm is the least insane of his beliefs. Strange how he has enough time on his hands to concern himself with this 'invalid' PoW and related 'scam' coins...

Keeping away from his hostile little cgminer fork is best for basically everyone except his BFL buddies.
efx

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:49:25 PM

What about your VRMs? Motherboard temps? Mining with that system is most likely going to considerably shorten the life of your intel laptop mobile formfactor desktop.

That said, osx support wouldn't be all that difficult, though I think donations would be in order if you don't want to use the windows version for whatever reason.  Wink

The various Linux flavors have a decently sized and technically-inclined mining userbase, that would be another good one to include.
efx

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:58:37 PM

What do you mean nonexistent in bootcamp? The opencl version you require should be installed by the AMD drivers automatically (AMD APP).

Anyways, I have heard of some issues arising with the osx versions of the luxmark slg rendering engine, though I think amd and apple have either resolved or will resolve all of them shortly since they are preparing for the new AMD gpu powered workstations.

I didn't mean you specifically, more those that have an interest in mining within OSX in general. Seems to be a decent amount of people who would probably take interest and hopefully expedite development for all the operating systems.  Smiley
efx

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:05:37 PM

Did you receive an error when trying to install the drivers?

Apparently, only the beta drivers can be installed without the common bootcamp driver error popping up. I would suggest something like 12.6 beta for a test, I don't think there's much reason to run anything more current for the 6xxx series.

*** can't remember if that includes AMD APP...Hmmm. I'll do some digging.
DarkKnight (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:07:02 PM

Guys, please use a dedicated topic for OSX troubleshooting.  Wink
efx

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:10:04 PM

Guys, please use a dedicated topic for OSX troubleshooting.  Wink

But then I would never see it since I never go to osx threads  Cheesy

However, you are completely correct.

Please send me a PM sibilant_doge and I might be able to get you running.
DarkKnight (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:10:46 PM

One thing I would love to see added to this is OSX support.

Everyone would love to see their favorite platform/GPU/coin supported. That said, I have yet to receive a single donation to the bounty. Lots hands out asking for things, no hands out offering help.

Maybe the issue is people are worried their donation will be lost if the bounty isn't met. To that end, if you want to donate, but want a refund if the bounty terms aren't met, PM me your donation amount and a refund address *before* you send your donation.

To be clear, you will only receive a refund on your donation if the bounty is closed without having been fulfilled.
kovand11

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:13:35 PM

I think its better to wait for OpenCL 2.0
DarkKnight (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:18:26 PM

I think its better to wait for OpenCL 2.0

Development can start with existing software and build out from there, including adding OpenCL support 2.0 at a later time. There is no reason not to start today.
efx

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:21:49 PM

No, 'waiting for opencl 2.0' would be a complete waste of time. Khronos group released the preliminary specs (still under review and discussion) less than 6 months ago iirc and we have no opencl 2.0 devices in the wild, except for the ps4 which might theoretically support some of it...

Anyways, a decent scrypt specific miner is something I've wanted for a very long time so I will definitely donate ASAP.
Palmdetroit
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:41:51 PM

Curious.... Cheesy

Which miner is considered superior by miners, bfgminer or cgminer?

DarkKnight (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:50:10 AM

Curious.... Cheesy

Which miner is considered superior by miners, bfgminer or cgminer?

I use CGMiner 3.7.2, the last version to support GPUs. I had been considering trying BFGMiner, but seeing the developer's attitude towards Scrypt, altcoins, and GPU mining, it can rot as far as I'm concerned. At least CG had the decency to admit they weren't supporting GPUs anymore and move on. Luke's attitude is to claim support for it, put zero development into it, turn it off by default, then attack others for trying to start their own program.
bitmaster222

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:05:02 PM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 06:04:42 AM by bitmaster222

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=229060.msg2411598#msg24115

Looks like linux (SMOS) is an OS dedicated to scrypt mining. I think this might be a good place to start, at least everyone collaborating in the right place will push development of better mining software. [Death to Microsoft]
bitwho
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:37:20 PM

good topic. you should find a a trusted person and have people send donation there. that why if no one comes forth we could get or money back
DarkKnight (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 02:11:59 PM

Looks like linux (SMOS) is an OS dedicated to scrypt mining. I think this might be a good place to start, at least everyone collaborating in the right place will push development of better mining software. [Death to Microsoft]

SMOS is built with old drivers on a PITA to use platform. I tried SMOS 3 times, it hashed slower, I had more problems remote viewing the machine unless I wanted just SSH, but wtf this isn't 1996 anymore. The only advantage in using linux over Win 8 was being able to use more than 5 cards, and possible the cost. For the trouble, I'll stick with 5 cards per machine (some have gotten 6), and pay the price for the O/S. It's so much less of a headache, and my control over the cards and the machine is much more refined.

good topic. you should find a a trusted person and have people send donation there. that why if no one comes forth we could get or money back

I've had two people express serious interest, but in over a month nothing has come of this. Like most people, I have my own problems to deal with outside the forum, and chasing this down isn't at the top of my list. I put up some money, and went to the community for help, an nobody, not one person actually offered a damn dime to help support it. Bunch of greedy bastards. All the money that's being made using CGMiner for Scrypt, and not one of you has actually sent a donation, or even pledged $1 to a project that aims improve your software and your income. I wonder how many of you would be happy to test it out and then use it for free though?

With that said, the deadline is now 2/11. If I don't get a serious submission within a week, I'm withdrawing my bounty.
Gazza1

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:39:37 PM

Voltage locked cards must be volt modded through bios editing.

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
bitmaster222

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:43:53 PM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 10:08:28 PM by bitmaster222

SMOS is built with old drivers on a PITA to use platform. I tried SMOS 3 times, it hashed slower, I had more problems remote viewing the machine unless I wanted just SSH, but wtf this isn't 1996 anymore. The only advantage in using linux over Win 8 was being able to use more than 5 cards, and possible the cost. For the trouble, I'll stick with 5 cards per machine (some have gotten 6), and pay the price for the O/S. It's so much less of a headache, and my control over the cards and the machine is much more refined.

This is a new OS and of course it will not be perfect right out of the box. If people like you tried helping the opensource community maybe the OS would have more features you want. Instead of trying to use a bounty that is really not a lot and wasting time taking on a Project by your self. How is working by your self more efficient than a open source team? Hello World, Linux is by far an easier system to use once you know how, not to mention is less destructive on your HDD. Some of you hacks would know that if you would break the Microsoft umbilical and learn how to use a computer. Please go on telling me more about how you use Windows 8 an OS for touch devices not geared at all for mining and how this is better than a OS that is always being developed for for mining only? Start emailing the team developing the OS and tell them what you want, hell give them your donation!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: