Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:09:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie been hacked BTC E  (Read 2260 times)
tryingmining (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:06:05 PM

HI peeps
well as the title says im a noob to the community but not 100 % new to mining and crypto.....been at it about 6 months now on and off,anyway thought i would do a little trading with some of my coins,,,,,,i basically had 50 LTC cleared out of my account on BTC E on the 23 rd december,,,,i had initially deposited the ltc after doing a few little trades etc on btc e to find my way around,,,,,it was only in my btc e account for about an hour and then instantly robbed and sold for dollars then dollars for btc then everything cleared out of the account,,,,,i posted this message to let other noobs and longstanding members know to be very careful using btc e
i have opened up a support ticket with btc e and to date all ive had is a reply to say my account has been blocked whilst the investigation takes place,,,,,,im deseperate to get my hard earnt ltc back and hopefully btc e will get it sorted,,,,,,apart from that all is good with my crypto adventures Smiley
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:09:32 PM

That's unusual, do you also have an account at vircurex that you used the same login info for? Because they got hacked a while back.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:10:22 PM

Sorry to hear about that!

Really hope BTC-e get this resolved for you!

Best of luck!
tryingmining (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:17:58 PM

That's unusual, do you also have an account at vircurex that you used the same login info for? Because they got hacked a while back.
hi,no account at vicurex,just btc e
i had the account for a little while but only doing very small trades,all was ok so thought i would do a little more,and that was when i got hacked,hopefully btc e will get this resolved for me,,,i just read a post in the main forum of another person being hacked in december on btc e,seems like im not alone
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:20:11 PM

Another thing to watch out for is fake apps, a bitcoinwisdom fake app is doing the rounds at the moment, that are trojans that will try to steal all your logins and wallets.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
tryingmining (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:43:03 PM

strange post above.....
whats all that about ??
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:57:30 PM

Was 2 FA enabled on your BTC-E account? If so, was your email account hacked too?
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:04:12 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of scam coins
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 02:06:01 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of scam coins

99% of the people here have been scammed at least once. I myself lost half of my coins in BTCT.
nongdanvoz

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 02:52:40 PM

Oh my god  Cry
El

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 02:55:23 PM

Meh.  Banks are hacked all the time.  Bitcoin helps you realize it.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:25:39 PM

Meh.  Banks are hacked all the time.  Bitcoin helps you realize it.

Well, the difference is that if your bank account is hacked then the Bank will reimburse the money. However, if you lose your BTCs, then that's it. They are lost for ever.
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:27:02 PM

@Tryingmining This story deserves to be spread because now we all are aware about this sad news.
bjowic2

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:44:53 PM

I have an account with an exchange that send out a "please confirm" when I perform a sending request. And then i have google authenticator set up with that e-mail account. Rather nice and easy exchange security I think. I guess they might hack my computer and get into the exchange that way, perhaps my e-mail adress as well and maybe goole authenticator as well. But hopefully not all three, I hope!

I wish you the best of luck in getting them back, but I guess the chances are quite limited.

I haven't tried sending things out from BTC-E, but can't one add a google authenticator safety before sending anything out form the account there?

Br,
Bjowic2
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:13:30 PM

I have an account with an exchange that send out a "please confirm" when I perform a sending request. And then i have google authenticator set up with that e-mail account.

The OP didn't activated 2FA, I believe. Also, your account can be hacked even if you activate it. The hacker just have to hack your email account as well.  Normally, Gmail is quite difficult to crack. But the same can't be said about other mail providers.
El

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 05:06:07 PM

@bry

Yeah, but...it's giving up the control of said valuable thing to someone else, when you can do it yourself.  You just have to learn the process in which the evil bastards have used to defraud us.  Basically, we give up our privacy for security, but they can't provide security. And we have our private info out there in the wind to boot.....
mbenga

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 07:53:26 PM

My god, 99% hacked at least once, sad to read that
vampirelord

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:03:50 PM

did it bypass 2FA activatation on your btc-e login??
tryingmining (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:46:18 PM

hello again,,,after the robbing bast....s stole my coins i quickly changed all my passwords etc etc and in the process forgot one or two of them,my new email being one of them which i now have sorted out,i also forgot my password on here which i needed access to my new gmail to reset,been a busy week for me as you can imagine
to answer a few questions,no i did not have 2fa set up on the account,i can see people shaking there heads in disbelief as i write this,anyway i now have it set up just a pity it took this episode to get me to sort it out.(lesson for EVERYONE enable 2FA from the start)
to date (7days) ive had no response whatsoever from btc e,just one automated msg saying account frozen for withdrawals,which is not much help as theres nothing to withdraw, its all been robbed and cleared out.
customer service is totally dire and non existant,im putting it down to the fact its christmas so im still holding out for some kind of resolution,i hold btc e responsible regardless of whether i had 2fa set up
i have online bank accounts and a stock trading account neither of which i need any additional security measures to stop from getting hacked to the ones i set up on registration,if any of those accounts are hacked they are personally responsible and will always reimburse if there site is hacked
btc e are making plenty of money from the site and should have stringent security measures in place to stop them being hacked,they obviously havent which is why they promote 2fa
i dont think i will use the site again due to the obvious lack of security on there behalf,and would warn anyone who is using btc e to at least set up 2fa as another means of stopping intruders
will keep this post up dated as and when i here from the so far non existent btc e customer services
hope everyone had a nice crimbo
tryingmining (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:53:22 PM

Another thing to watch out for is fake apps, a bitcoinwisdom fake app is doing the rounds at the moment, that are trojans that will try to steal all your logins and wallets.
is this bundled in with something else ?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: