Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:01:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips For Launching a New Coin  (Read 2371 times)
BitcoinTate (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:25:47 PM

After watching several new alt coins launch and die over the past year I thought I would offer some suggestions & insights to future developers.

1) Be Innovative
There are 10,00 Litecoin & Bitcoin clones out there, or at least is seems like it. If you are not bringing something new to the table then why even bother? This doesn't always have to be a technical innovation as I would argue Doge brought to us a lesson in crypto mass psychology. People don't like looking in their BTC wallet and seeing they have  0.000189 BTC. They want to see they have 189,000 Doge, Litecoin, Bitcoin or whatever it may be. Our brains are not used to calculating monetary transactions to 6 decimal places. This is why I think coins with billions of coins could surpass Bitcoin one day. The other lesson to be learned by Doge is to have some emotional appeal. This will help bring large amounts of new people in just as Doge has. (FYI I really don't like Doge, but I see the positives in it.)

2) Pre-Mine No More Than 1%
I think every new coin I have seen besides Digitalcoin has been accused of being a scam pre-mine coin. While I understand the need for development and giveaways etc. a dev doesn't need to pre-mine 25% of all coins. I would also have a ledger recording where and how the 1% was spent. This should be publicly available on the coins website. By being open and transparent much more trust can be placed in a coin. Given the way the block chain works this would not be a hard thing to do.

3) Announce The Coin Launch 2 Days Ahead of Time
This will give ample time for people to hear of the new coin so they can start mining at zero hour. While Earthcoin was only pre-announced by a few hours I feel this helped with the coins current success. By allowing as many people as possible to become invested in the coin from the beginning you are allowing for a few things. First, you will have a larger distribution of coins from the beginning.

Second, with more hash and more people you are less likely to experience a 51% attack that often kills a new coin within hours of launch. Finally, you will build a solid foundation of a community as people often like to say "I was there from the beginning" and become much more psychology invested in that particular coin.

4) Good Name & Logo
While you would think this should be obvious, most often it seems devs neglect this in their rush to pump & dump. I would say as of right now if you don't have a good name & logo even in the pre-announce thread your coin is dead on arrival. There are to many options out there right now to waste you time on a crap coin.

I have one simple name & logo test. Could I one day see my grandmother going into the store and purchasing something with her [insert coin name here]. I do not ever see my grandmother buying stuff with her BBQcoin, Hamstercoin, Hobo Nickels etc. I could one day see her using Digitalcoin, Stablecoin, Earthcoin etc.

5) Bitcoin Won't Be The Top Coin Forever
Technologically speaking over the last twenty years being the first of its kinds doesn't mean a new tech will last forever on top. In fact more often than not a new tech is often surpassed within a few years. Think of Netscape as a browser... where is it today? What about Lycos as a search engine? Google came along and did things better. What about Myspace being overcome by Facebook? Or even Napster? 

There are some serious issues arising with Bitcoin. The main being the centralization of hash power with the emergence of ASIC mining companies. This goes against why Bitcoin was founded. When the common person cannot mine and secure a coin I feel a coin will enter into a slow decline & death.

6) There Is Room For More Than 1 Coin
We have Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari & Opera. We have Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express. We have Chase, Bank of America, HSBC, Wells Fargo etc. Why does there have to be one coin that's on top? It makes no sense to embraces this winner take all mentality in the alt community. By having several choices based on different technologies we are making cryptos more secure. If one dies or is compromised there are ten more to take its place.

To help people understand the importance of Bitcoin I often tell them the last time we saw a major monetary innovation like this is when the Bank of England first started printing paper bank notes in 1694. Crypto is here to stay. Power to the people!

- aka The "DigiMan"
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:33:17 PM

Any thoughts, opinions, criticisms are welcome  Grin

- aka The "DigiMan"
Mooshi

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:42:17 PM

I think the simple rule of thumb is to try to show at least /some/ bit of professionalism. Many alt coins are flat out cancer to alt currency in my eyes. People will see all the stupid ones and think that's all alt coins are, a huge joke ran by little children. I scroll down the topics and see a Dubstep coin..which is utterly absurd in every single way. A try-hard cat version of Dogecoin launching that takes the worst of lolcats and vomits it all over the place. Even the ones that try to be taken seriously, I just can't...like how Earthcoin literally looks like someone lifted the "e" from Internet Explorer.

Of the many alt coins out, only a small handful feel legit. BBQcoin..Anoncoin..Sexcoin..the whole lot needs to go away and make room for people who take this seriously.

I believe the free market will take its course and the absurd alt coins will die from lack of interest. I'm not going to nag on people for mining what they do even if I'm against it, that's for the market to decide. I'm simply stating my opinion. Of the newer alt coins out there, Mastercoin feels the most professional. People need to remember that presentation is everything.
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:43:12 PM

I think the simple rule of thumb is to try to show at least /some/ bit of professionalism. Many alt coins are flat out cancer to alt currency in my eyes. People will see all the stupid ones and think that's all alt coins are, a huge joke ran by little children. I scroll down the topics and see a Dubstep coin..which is utterly absurd in every single way. A try-hard cat version of Dogecoin launching that takes the worst of lolcats and vomits it all over the place. Even the ones that try to be taken seriously, I just can't...like how Earthcoin literally looks like someone lifted the "e" from Internet Explorer.

Of the many alt coins out, only a small handful feel legit. BBQcoin..Anoncoin..Sexcoin..the whole lot needs to go away and make room for people who take this seriously.
+1

- aka The "DigiMan"
Raist

Activity: 490
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:47:33 PM

In fact I think (sorry to be so old style and primitive) that the first thing the new coin issuer must think about is: why people do need my coin? How can they use it? In what segment of the market? Generally speaking there are tons, I want to repeat -- tonnnnns -- of places where new coins can make people life easier as time goes by. And all of them are different - from the coins for gambling to the special coins for buying tickets... well it is unnecessary to itemize. But the point is - why people needs me, that's the question. And as for the point that this begun with some wild speculation and humster^s coins that^s a human nature. BitcoinTate mention the BoE but before that were Bardi and co and different Orders holding drug traffic. Long before that was Aristotle with his 5 rules... no matter - do your best and hope to see some interesting projects in future.
Mooshi

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:50:00 PM

After watching several new alt coins launch and die over the past year I thought I would offer some suggestions & insights to future developers.

1) Be Innovative
There are 10,00 Litecoin & Bitcoin clones out there, or at least is seems like it. If you are not bringing something new to the table then why even bother? This doesn't always have to be a technical innovation as I would argue Doge brought to us a lesson in crypto mass psychology. People don't like looking in their BTC wallet and seeing they have  0.000189 BTC. They want to see they have 189,000 Doge, Litecoin, Bitcoin or whatever it may be. Our brains are not used to calculating monetary transactions to 6 decimal places. This is why I think coins with billions of coins could surpass Bitcoin one day. The other lesson to be learned by Doge is to have some emotional appeal. This will help bring large amounts of new people in just as Doge has. (FYI I really don't like Doge, but I see the positives in it.)

2) Pre-Mine No More Than 1%
I think every new coin I have seen besides Digitalcoin has been accused of being a scam pre-mine coin. While I understand the need for development and giveaways etc. a dev doesn't need to pre-mine 25% of all coins. I would also have a ledger recording where and how the 1% was spent. This should be publicly available on the coins website. By being open and transparent much more trust can be placed in a coin. Given the way the block chain works this would not be a hard thing to do.

3) Announce The Coin Launch 2 Days Ahead of Time
This will give ample time for people to hear of the new coin so they can start mining at zero hour. While Earthcoin was only pre-announced by a few hours I feel this helped with the coins current success. By allowing as many people as possible to become invested in the coin from the beginning you are allowing for a few things. First, you will have a larger distribution of coins from the beginning.

Second, with more hash and more people you are less likely to experience a 51% attack that often kills a new coin within hours of launch. Finally, you will build a solid foundation of a community as people often like to say "I was there from the beginning" and become much more psychology invested in that particular coin.

4) Good Name & Logo
While you would think this should be obvious, most often it seems devs neglect this in their rush to pump & dump. I would say as of right now if you don't have a good name & logo even in the pre-announce thread your coin is dead on arrival. There are to many options out there right now to waste you time on a crap coin.

I have one simple name & logo test. Could I one day see my grandmother going into the store and purchasing something with her [insert coin name here]. I do not ever see my grandmother buying stuff with her BBQcoin, Hamstercoin, Hobo Nickels etc. I could one day see her using Digitalcoin, Stablecoin, Earthcoin etc.

5) Bitcoin Won't Be The Top Coin Forever
Technologically speaking over the last twenty years being the first of its kinds doesn't mean a new tech will last forever on top. In fact more often than not a new tech is often surpassed within a few years. Think of Netscape as a browser... where is it today? What about Lycos as a search engine? Google came along and did things better. What about Myspace being overcome by Facebook? Or even Napster? 

There are some serious issues arising with Bitcoin. The main being the centralization of hash power with the emergence of ASIC mining companies. This goes against why Bitcoin was founded. When the common person cannot mine and secure a coin I feel a coin will enter into a slow decline & death.

6) There Is Room For More Than 1 Coin
We have Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari & Opera. We have Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express. We have Chase, Bank of America, HSBC, Wells Fargo etc. Why does there have to be one coin that's on top? It makes no sense to embraces this winner take all mentality in the alt community. By having several choices based on different technologies we are making cryptos more secure. If one dies or is compromised there are ten more to take its place.

To help people understand the importance of Bitcoin I often tell them the last time we saw a major monetary innovation like this is when the Bank of England first started printing paper bank notes in 1694. Crypto is here to stay. Power to the people!

Just felt like saying thank you. You sum up how I feel about the whole scene in better words than I could. I don't mind coins not called Bitcoin or Litecoin. I even mined Catcoin because it could have potential being the scrypt version of Bitcoin. If pushed right, people could take it more seriously. There are a few alt coins out that have my respect..and a whole lot that are clutter. More quality and less throwing random and seeing what sticks.
Nanolucas

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 03:55:12 PM

I think this is well thought out and is the sort of thing that really needs to be strongly considered by anyone looking to launch a coin.

It's still amateur hour for most of these coins and it seems like there would be a very large amount of money to be made for an actual company to come in with developers, designers, PR and advertising and just blow all these other ones out of the water. As has been said, it doesn't have to be technical innovation, but it certainly needs to get people's attention.

The issue with a lot of the alts is that it's just one guy and "his developer" aka one guy that is around some of the time to make some quick and dodgy changes to the coin. How much work would it really be for a company to create a coin, launch it with windows, mac and linux clients and have a block explorer ready to go?

The current coins all seem like a case of 'lets put whatever we've got live now and deal with the rest later'.

One thing I've been thinking about recently is how you could have the fairest possible launch. As already mentioned in this thread: a pre-announcement and either zero premine or a small premine with a public ledger are certainly good starting points. On top of that though, most coin launches greatly benefit those who adopt in the first day, why not have a launch period where the block rewards start low and then ramp up to the full [regular] reward size over the course of a week or two.

This way those getting on board right at the start still get a decent head start, but they're not earning considerably more than they will be once the coin has settled into regular mining.

What do you guys think?
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:00:04 PM

I think this is well thought out and is the sort of thing that really needs to be strongly considered by anyone looking to launch a coin.

It's still amateur hour for most of these coins and it seems like there would be a very large amount of money to be made for an actual company to come in with developers, designers, PR and advertising and just blow all these other ones out of the water. As has been said, it doesn't have to be technical innovation, but it certainly needs to get people's attention.

The issue with a lot of the alts is that it's just one guy and "his developer" aka one guy that is around some of the time to make some quick and dodgy changes to the coin. How much work would it really be for a company to create a coin, launch it with windows, mac and linux clients and have a block explorer ready to go?

The current coins all seem like a case of 'lets put whatever we've got live now and deal with the rest later'.

One thing I've been thinking about recently is how you could have the fairest possible launch. As already mentioned in this thread: a pre-announcement and either zero premine or a small premine with a public ledger. On top of that though, most coin launches greatly benefit those who adopt in the first day, why not have a launch period where the block rewards start low and then ramp up to the full [regular] reward size over the course of a week or two.

This way those getting on board right at the start still get a decent head start, but they're not earning considerably more than they will be once the coin has settled into regular mining.

What do you guys think?
Having a 1 or 2 week long initial miner adoption incentive is a great Idea. I agree 1 or 2 days is too small of window. This would bring more early adopters in. Having a professionally done coin does take more than one person. I myself have been thinking of getting together with some people and launching a coin. Just haven't thought of a good name yet.

- aka The "DigiMan"
nocoin

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:00:29 PM

We have Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari & Opera. We have Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express. We have Chase, Bank of America, HSBC, Wells Fargo etc.
We have Bitcoin, Litecoin, PeerCoin, NameCoin, PrimeCoin. No room for shitcoins.
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:02:36 PM

Just felt like saying thank you. You sum up how I feel about the whole scene in better words than I could. I don't mind coins not called Bitcoin or Litecoin. I even mined Catcoin because it could have potential being the scrypt version of Bitcoin. If pushed right, people could take it more seriously. There are a few alt coins out that have my respect..and a whole lot that are clutter. More quality and less throwing random and seeing what sticks.
Thank you for that. It is good to see a honest discussion taking place about this issue. One of the issues that needs to be addressed soon is the growing size of the alt coin thread. We need sub topics now. We need a place to discuss development of alternate cryptos.

- aka The "DigiMan"
lasciv

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:02:57 PM

This should always be on top!
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:18:37 PM

This should always be on top!
Bump

- aka The "DigiMan"
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:20:19 PM

finally someone that thinks the same as me Smiley

FranceGuy1

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:20:51 PM

Honestly although this is good advice it doesn't matter anymore. People are jumping on every coin regardless of how horrible they are.
myhoho
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:21:49 PM

NXT Wink

██████▄  ▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄         
██████████████████████████▄▄     
█████████████████████████████▄   
▄███████████████████████████████ 
▄▄███▄     ▄██████████  ████████▀▀▀██████████
▄██████   ████████████  ████████   ███████████
▄████████▀   █████████    ██    ████████▀▀▀███████
▀████▄  ▄   ████████████  ████████████   ███████
▀████▀     ▀██████████  █████████████████████
▀███████████████████████████████ 
█████████████████████████████▀   
██████████████████████████▀▀     
██████▀  ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀         
ROCKET

▄▄    ▄▄

▄▄    ▄▄

ENTHRALLING GRAPHICS
● NEW TYPE OF GAMES
100% REFERRAL BONUS
((       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄████████ ██ █████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀████████▄
▄███████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀███████▄
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████▀▀██
█████████   ████    ███▄▄██
▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄██▀  █▀
 ▀█████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄███▀  █▀
  ▀████████ ██ ████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███▄
▄████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄████▄
█████▀               ██████
█████▄              ███▀▀██
██████▄            ████▄▄██
▀██████▄▄        ▄████▀  █▀
 ▀████▄       ▄██████▀  █▀
  ▀████████████████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████████▀     ████████▄
▄██████████   ████████████▄
█████████        ██████████
█████████▄▄   ▄▄███████▀▀██
███████████   █████████▄▄██
▀██████████   ████████▀  █▀
 ▀█████████   ███████▀  █▀
  ▀████████▄▄▄█████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
))
bct-lurch

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:24:30 PM

Based on some of the releases I have seen..

Make sure a windows client is listed.
Include a link to the source code.
Include a virus total report of the wallet, everyone seems to panic.
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 07:33:07 PM

I am working with some talented people on a new coin that will be incorporating these principles and a few more. Stay tuned for details in the coming week. Smiley

- aka The "DigiMan"
Scooby903

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:04:31 PM

Very good points..."devs" should take heed
burnum

Activity: 322

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:16:38 PM

I hope some of the new devs take some of your advice, bitcoin may have the most support now but your right, in time something may rise to take its place, it might just be a meme who is to say? Always room for competition, take Bing Search for example=way late to the game but seems to be gaining some traction.

Sub boards for alternatives might be a lost cause, i would suggest a sticky with links to other forums, most serious coins develop their own community.

Bitshares (Protoshares) announced launch months in advance, seemed to be a very successful approach, i would suggest giving as much notice as possible, I might also suggest that in advance of launch it be posted to as many possible crypto forums that someone could reach,QRK Forums, SBC, FTC, LTC, etc.

Lets be realistic with premine, if it is supported by the developers they essentially deserve some type of compensation, nobody is paying them to help them setup in windows etc.

Support 24/7, from my short period of time here I have developed the idea that support needs to be 24/7 to really boost adoption, not just a supporting community but the team of developers needs to be hands on to encourage others that the coin will succeed.

I would like to mine a new coin with a good future before its ripped away from my grasp by the experienced well setup miners, so good luck to your team.

Send me a message if you need me to respond to a post, or just send me some  $ADA in an amount that will get my attention = addr1qx7g7vzjtk9mcljxjy0vnewaljk33m67d227d95rsak8mmjdq5erwjygc05l6vftwdzy9qd3t4 9spl5kw5k6684gfawqw9r87w
Nanolucas

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 02:10:31 AM

Honestly although this is good advice it doesn't matter anymore. People are jumping on every coin regardless of how horrible they are.

That certainly doesn't mean they'll be successful in the long term though. Most of them will fizzle after a short run.

We want to help guide someone to making a coin that will actually succeed.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: