Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:55:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin for a game - A young students view on his life (and bitcoin)  (Read 1443 times)
whitebird (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 10:25:20 PM

Hello there! And thank you for the time you are taking to read this.

My name is Whitebird, I've been using this name since the beginning I started programming.
In the beginning it became clear I wanted dedicate my life to programming.
Now After some years of experience (mostly learning bits 'n pieces here and there) I became an experienced web developer.
And now I want to shift my abilities to game programming.

The reason for this change is ; I turned 18 last week (yaay!) and that got me thinking, How far I am with my life, what I want to do, how will I make money, ...
You know what I mean Smiley

What I want to say is: I want to devote my life to programming, starting from now on. In the past I tried and do a bit, but now I want to go for it.
This school year I start at the High school studying applied computer science (not sure if that's the correct translation).

And now for the real deal  Cheesy

Almost half a year ago I stumbled across a curious thing called "Bitcoin", tech savvy as I was, I tried mining in Slush's pool for a month, but I got an Nvidia card, so it was really, really slow, and did not have a good income. So I quit that and Bitcoin was on the back of my mind.
But today I started thinking, I want to make games, and I love the idea of Bitcoin. (I see a connection there)

So I start a little project I call "Bitcoin for a game". (also, if you want it, it can be "Bitcoin for a program")
Basically it means you support a young student eager to learn informatics making programs; and you help (a little) financially.
By financially, I don't mean heaps of money, I mean a symbolic coin, for the effort.

So you want a program, I make it. That's it!
You contact me and we'll have a chat (no beer, sorry Sad )

As an example of my experience I made game called "molenspel", It's Dutch at the moment, but it's really simple in use, so that doesn't really matter. It's a javascript game.
This I made together with a dear friend.

I'll let you play that for half a coin. (screen coming soon)

What do you guys think about all this? Do you think I'm mad for thinking someone will support me, think this is a stupid idea?
Hate it or love it, I'd love to hear your thoughts Smiley

With kind greetings from the rainy Belgium,

-Whitebird
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
silverchair

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 01:12:38 AM

Cool, Good Luck buddy  Smiley

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:23:51 AM

Sounds great! Do you know Actionscript or have any experience with HTML5?
whitebird (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 11:19:08 AM

Sounds great! Do you know Actionscript or have any experience with HTML5?

Actionscript 2 or 3?

And yes, I have experience with HTML5  Smiley
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:28:01 PM

What level games are you programming?  Are they 3D or 2D?  Who does your graphics?  Can we see a free example of your code?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but I'm always information hungry. Wink

I can't wait to see how this project of yours turns out.  Maybe I can join you if you don't mind. I'm less than 25 myself.

P.S. I'd love to code some AI for you or anything else you have but I'm not sure If I'm experienced enough compared to you to really help.

P.P.S. If you want to do this on your own I understand, I just thought I'd offer my humble services.

whitebird (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 10:43:28 PM

What level games are you programming?  Are they 3D or 2D?  Who does your graphics?  Can we see a free example of your code?

I can't wait to see how this project of yours turns out.  Maybe I can join you if you don't mind. I'm less than 25 myself.

P.S. I'd love to code some AI for you or anything else you have but I'm not sure If I'm experienced enough compared to you to really help.

P.P.S. If you want to do this on your own I understand, I just thought I'd offer my humble services.

haha, no worries  Cheesy

Atm I want to start with 2D, since javascript was also 2D. I do the graphics myself, since I'm a graphical designer for websites for quite a few years now  Grin
Ofcourse I can show you an example of my code, but the only code I can show you at the moment is the javascript game with my bud, and I ask half a bitcoin for access to it  Undecided

I'll dig arround and maybe find some C# projects with Microsoft XNA developer  Smiley

Also, it'll be nice to be in touch with someone with the same area of interest, PM your skype or msn  Smiley
JDBound

Activity: 150
Merit: 108

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 11:41:18 PM

Best of luck  Wink
Electrongolf

Activity: 139

What's Your Gig?

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 11:53:25 PM

Good Luck! It would also be cool if you figured out how to use Bitcoin inside a game. I would definitely support that.

whitebird (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 11:58:33 PM

Good Luck! It would also be cool if you figured out how to use Bitcoin inside a game. I would definitely support that.
Since I love bitcoin, I'll think about it :p
Any idea how I could use bitcoin in a game?
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 12:18:02 AM

haha, no worries  Cheesy

Atm I want to start with 2D, since javascript was also 2D. I do the graphics myself, since I'm a graphical designer for websites for quite a few years now  Grin
Ofcourse I can show you an example of my code, but the only code I can show you at the moment is the javascript game with my bud, and I ask half a bitcoin for access to it  Undecided

I'll dig arround and maybe find some C# projects with Microsoft XNA developer  Smiley

Also, it'll be nice to be in touch with someone with the same area of interest, PM your skype or msn  Smiley

I don't do skype or msn.

I just meant a small sample not the whole thing.

I mainly do C# but from what I've seen and head javascript is a whole lot more forgiving.

P.S. I really only expected to be PMed with request to help code a section of your game or search for bugs(assuming you did want my help)

P.P.S I hate to sound picky, lazy, or obnoxious. Embarrassed  I want to be as helpful as possible(I'm in it for the fun not any possible payments for my services) Smiley I'm just restrained because I don't want to offer something and end up not really helping and becoming a bother. Cool

Can't wait to see how this turns out whether I'm part of it or just a spectator. Grin

whitebird (OP)

View Profile
A
August 25, 2011, 12:54:55 AM

I don't do skype or msn.

I just meant a small sample not the whole thing.

I mainly do C# but from what I've seen and head javascript is a whole lot more forgiving.

P.S. I really only expected to be PMed with request to help code a section of your game or search for bugs(assuming you did want my help)

P.P.S I hate to sound picky, lazy, or obnoxious. Embarrassed  I want to be as helpful as possible(I'm in it for the fun not any possible payments for my services) Smiley I'm just restrained because I don't want to offer something and end up not really helping and becoming a bother. Cool

Can't wait to see how this turns out whether I'm part of it or just a spectator. Grin
javascript isn't exactly the easiest language to make a game in :p
I'll keep everyone updated in this thread.
Electrongolf

Activity: 139

What's Your Gig?

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 04:09:09 AM

I don't have any specific ideas. But, if I could earn BTC in a game of skill, or competing against other players for a reward, seems fun.

sparge

Activity: 5

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 04:15:43 AM

I don't have any specific ideas. But, if I could earn BTC in a game of skill, or competing against other players for a reward, seems fun.

Agreed. Mostly there are just games of chance out there.
KomodoRogue

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 04:57:39 AM

Oh, darn.  I just wrote like the longest post ever, and apparently I was logged out in the process, and when I clicked submit it just said "login to post," I hit back, and my post was gone.  Now I'm logged in and too annoyed to write all that again, but I will later.  The main points:

- Can you make Android or webOS games?

- I work in the field of early childhood education (not a computer background at all) but I'm interested in making apps/games on a hobbyist/enthusiast level for Android or maybe webOS.  Can you suggest a starting point (what programming language(s) to learn, any useful links/etc) if you know anything about that stuff?  I obviously don't need to know anything incredibly in depth, just simple coding stuff so that I can use the android SDK and free APIs.

- Have YOU ever thought about making apps/games for iOS/Android/webOS/wp7/blackberry/etc?  I think you'd make more money doing that than selling games to individuals for a bitcoin?

Thanks!  I'll remember this once I actually *have* a bitcoin, haha.

whitebird (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 09:49:28 AM

Oh, darn.  I just wrote like the longest post ever, and apparently I was logged out in the process, and when I clicked submit it just said "login to post," I hit back, and my post was gone.  Now I'm logged in and too annoyed to write all that again, but I will later.  The main points:

- Can you make Android or webOS games?

- I work in the field of early childhood education (not a computer background at all) but I'm interested in making apps/games on a hobbyist/enthusiast level for Android or maybe webOS.  Can you suggest a starting point (what programming language(s) to learn, any useful links/etc) if you know anything about that stuff?  I obviously don't need to know anything incredibly in depth, just simple coding stuff so that I can use the android SDK and free APIs.

- Have YOU ever thought about making apps/games for iOS/Android/webOS/wp7/blackberry/etc?  I think you'd make more money doing that than selling games to individuals for a bitcoin?

Thanks!  I'll remember this once I actually *have* a bitcoin, haha.
I'll get you started, the android platform is really REALLY well documented  Smiley
But for iOS you have to have a mac. (for so far as I know of)

Here's your address : http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
The language you use for Android is Java, and the best IDE for java (and android) is eclipse, you can download it here: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
(i think i have eclipse classic, not sure)
Install the plugin as said here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Then you can follow the following tutorials: http://developer.android.com/resources/tutorials/hello-world.html

And then you're off to go Cheesy
helloworld

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:25:42 AM

I've seen an ad on TV where you can 'bump' iphones together to share pictures... is there any way you could do that for spending bitcoins?

I'm guessing it's some kind of bluetooth thing?

Anyway, it would be great if you could spend bitcoins from one phone to another via bluetooth, instead of QR display and scan.
AssemblY

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:35:50 AM

Congratulations for the initiative! Very interesting!

Have you thought about creating a game like simcity? Where you out instead of building houses, you could create structures for mining and ore could turn bitcoin.

Or a game like tibia, where the currency could be bitcoins.
I have so many ideas...  Grin

Good luck!
helloworld

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:42:18 AM

Likewise, I feel like listing many things... here's one more:

A 'dig-dug' clone where instead of searching for diamonds/rubies, etc you pay a certain amount to play and then search for bitcoins which you can then actually withdraw.
jacubo

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 11:43:15 AM

Nice idea! Good luck!
AssemblY

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 06:08:05 PM

Likewise, I feel like listing many things... here's one more:

A 'dig-dug' clone where instead of searching for diamonds/rubies, etc you pay a certain amount to play and then search for bitcoins which you can then actually withdraw.

Haha, very good!

Was a great idea too!

Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: