I saw one try to make easy wallet backup on the forums, but it lacked one thing - offsite backups.
Would there be a need for a service that backuped your wallet on the cloud? Before you scream "SCAM" and "FRAUD", read on:
- the app would be a complete package, wrapped around current Bitcoin client (-server option for communicating with it), so you wouldn't have to download two apps for one thing to do
- the app would make backups of your wallet every time it does change, so it would be always fresh
- then it would encrypt it on your computer with a strong algo and passphrase that you choose (it would enforce strong passphrases so newbies won't use "12345" or "password")
- then it would send the encrypted backup to the cloud (either on my server - with full backup history and easy reverting, or some public storage server, or to a FTP server you choose, or maybe somewhere else)
- it would allow you to quickly revert to a backup you choose
- it would work on major OSes (Windows, Linux, Mac)
- finally, it would be open source of course for full transparency of what it's doing.
What would you say about that?
Edit: Also, my rationale for this project is like this: I believe that Bitcoin has some chance to take off and be used by average Joe Smith. But the wallet backup is a problem that's above average Joe. Especially understanding that you need back it up every 100 transactions or less. So "normal" people would be confused about it and probably feel unsafe about the whole proccess, thus choosing to not use Bitcoin. The service I'm talking about is all about simplifying the backup for average Joe to make it fully transparent for him, still providing decent security for him and for power users.
Edit 2: Codename: EasyBitcoin