Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:55:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why It Doesn't Matter If Rich Douches Are Scared  (Read 1952 times)
midnightmagic (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 37

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 11:35:14 PM

Business professionals -- the people we are trying to convince to accept bitcoins -- are very turned off by the forums.

We are hoping to swap this forum with weusecoins, prefer a "professional code of conduct" and make that the primary forum.

There is nothing better that can be done to attract business professionals. Even the most cleanly accurate IRC chatter is still a huge turn-off to the large majority of business professionals that come there to get accuracy about Bitcoins. This forum's divergence from the main bitcoin.org site is in name only, and everyone already knows that. It's too late to do anything but employ the ban-hammers with fascist-like authoritah and eliminate future trollery.

The reason why business people are turned of too quickly may in part be the crushing unprofessionalism of the large majority of forum troll douches; but the bigger reason is that Bitcoin itself is a turn-off to traditional money-making people. It scares them. Worse, people without a clean comprehension of what money is and how it spontaneously arises, nor how special the crypto that backs Bitcoin is, nor that virtual goods without the backing of strong crypto are traded every day on eBay, see Bitcoin as a sort of virtual nothing that can crash to nothing, is held up by greedy speculators only, has no inherent value, and otherwise is a scam that enriches the first-movers.

These facts are half-truths, which makes them perniciously hard to stamp out.

Forbes is viewed as some kind of holy-word by people with large sums of money who can't be arsed to actually look into it themselves, so when even Forbes is incapable of comprehending even the simplest details of how gold spontaneously becomes money, or when the last Bitcoin will be mined, the misinformation spreads.

Come to think of it, I've never seen any widely-read article that actually states the truth about when the last Bitcoins will be mined. They all think it's somewhere around 2033, probably because they zoomed into that irritating graph and eyeballed it.

The imperfect comprehension of even the most erudite forum/IRC-goer also gets in the way of spreading the accurate word of Bitcoin to those who would be capable of understanding what Bitcoin is but don't have the time to learn the entire system on their own. Highly technical questions have worn out the old IRC-goers (like ArtForZz for example) because of their incessant years-long repetition.

But this is the main point of my post here: The project has already reached the open-source equivalent of project immortality. There is an immortal set of developers capable of working on the source (many who are not currently doing so but are maintaining private patchsets and watching development very closely.) The use of Bitcoins has reached a critical mass: the continuation of the project no longer relies on getting enough of the word out as fast as possible.

And therefore its longevity and first-mover advantage will, in the end, crush all misinformation and all direct opposition. This is the reason why I no longer bother to correct anybody about their mind-bogglingly ignorant misconceptions. It.. doesn't.. matter. At all. Bitcoin doesn't need a PR rep who can do damage control. MtGox passwords get released? Doesn't matter. Bitcoin trojans appear? Doesn't matter. Silk Road attracts the attention of senators and law enforcement? Doesn't matter. The project is immortal. Cat's out of the bag. The only question that remains is how long it will take to swallow up enough economic activity to attain true general-use status amongst the public at-large who truly don't care how or why Bitcoins work.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 11:44:32 PM

... It's too late to do anything but employ the ban-hammers with fascist-like authoritah and eliminate future trollery...

... the crushing unprofessionalism of the large majority of forum troll douches...

... Forbes is viewed as some kind of holy-word by people with large sums of money who can't be arsed to actually look into it themselves, so when even Forbes is incapable of comprehending even the simplest details of how gold spontaneously becomes money, or when the last Bitcoin will be mined, the misinformation spreads...

...And therefore its longevity and first-mover advantage will, in the end, crush all misinformation and all direct opposition. This is the reason why I no longer bother to correct anybody about their mind-bogglingly ignorant misconceptions. It.. doesn't.. matter....

I think I have a man-crush on you.   Grin

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
midnightmagic (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 37

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 12:00:19 AM

... the crushing unprofessionalism of the large majority of forum troll douches...

... crush all misinformation ...
I think I have a man-crush on you.   Grin

;-) I am of the opinion Bitcoin was designed to tear down, long-term, the old financial regimes that hold us all prisoner. Let the history of those casualties be well-known, I say, and that we foresaw them, and hope to hasten them. The people have a right to their money, in whatever form it might end up taking, be it Bitcoin or something else.

Yes, I'm now looking at you, future casualty. I will welcome you to the future with open arms and sharpened teeth. (Not you, geek-trader. :-)
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 12:05:45 AM

I totally agree with you OP. In the words of Doug stanhope: "If you got a good product, you don't need advertising. People come around." (talking about drugs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Rm87cqnUI
Electrongolf

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

What's Your Gig?

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 12:16:03 AM

the continuation of the project no longer relies on getting enough of the word out as fast as possible.

I agree. I have found that regular people are not interested in digital money. In fact, people have told me it is suspicious to be so enthusiastic over money. This view is completely valid.

Imagine if you met a Facebook Credits fanboy. This guy is totally involved in promoting Facebook's money. He's not promoting games or applications that use credits. He's rabidly preaching how great the money is. Personally, I would think the guy was crazy. But that's just me.

Bitcoins are great, but there needs to be awareness of the reality of the situation. We should be promoting products and services that need BTC to function. There is really no need to mention BTC at all.

If a product or service is valuable enough, people will use it regardless of what currency it supports.

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:53:37 AM

Forbes is viewed as some kind of holy-word by people with large sums of money who can't be arsed to actually look into it themselves, so when even Forbes is incapable of comprehending even the simplest details of how gold spontaneously becomes money, or when the last Bitcoin will be mined, the misinformation spreads.

Reporters are busy. They don't have the time to truly learn how a cryptocurrency like bitcoin works.
The only media rep. that came even close to understanding the fundamental ideas behind bitcoin was in the CNN money interview before the bitcoin conference.

Also, 'people in general' are too ignorant to understand bitcoin, which is why it will always stay a niche.

People respond to logical fallacies, arguments from authority and vain assurements.
People in general do not want to use their brain to decide whether something is safe nor do they possess the abilities to make such an assessment.

They will think it can be hacked and a malicious nerd in Russia can create a zillion bitcoins because 5 years ago 'technical expert x' said anything can be broken into. It was on TV so it must be biblical truth.
They will think it's illegal and too difficult to use.

Can those things be prevented? Yes. Making bitcoin 'idiot proof' will make even casual internet users adapt it. The mobile client is a good start & an example of something concrete which is already making BTC more accessible to Joe Public.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:07:45 AM

... crush all misinformation ...
I think I have a man-crush on you.   Grin

;-) I am of the opinion Bitcoin was designed to tear down, long-term, the old financial regimes that hold us all prisoner. Let the history of those casualties be well-known, I say, and that we foresaw them, and hope to hasten them. The people have a right to their money, in whatever form it might end up taking, be it Bitcoin or something else.

Yes, I'm now looking at you, future casualty. I will welcome you to the future with open arms and sharpened teeth. (Not you, geek-trader. :-)

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women. " Conan the Bitbarian

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 05:01:18 AM

I am of the opinion Bitcoin was designed to tear down, long-term, the old financial regimes that hold us all prisoner.

Great post OP.  Whether designed for this purpose or not, I think this is the likely result =)
Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 12:21:39 PM

Also, 'people in general' are too ignorant to understand bitcoin, which is why it will always stay a niche.

'People in general' are too ignorant to understand how economies work, but they're perfectly happy to participate in them as employees, consumers, investors, etc. 'People in general' know nothing about internet protocols but they still use their browsers. "It's a new currency, you can buy stuff with it here, here and here" is all the understanding that you really need to be able to use Bitcoin. The whole technical/political/philosophical discussion can stay in the background - people won't care if it has "no intrinsic value" or "is evil and satanic" if it clearly works.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
garyrowe

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 12:46:24 PM

Once this project goes live (StackExchange Bitcoin) then you'll see the quality of information surrounding Bitcoin improve. Speaking as a regular contributor to various StackExchange sites, I can tell you that trolls get killed off real quick, and good answers bubble up just as fast. All being well it should become one of the definitive resource sites for info about Bitcoin. It's exceptionally well integrated with Google and SEO in general so even the laziests journo hack idling through is bound to encounter an SE link in preference to other less informed articles.

The problem then becomes finding a good story.

stryker

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:11:25 PM

bitcoin is kind of a mechanism to a fair distribution of wealth, so any big money maker would kinda feel like a capitalist playing in a communist's playground.... as in uneasy :-)
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:20:47 PM

The only question that remains is how long it will take to swallow up enough economic activity to attain true general-use status amongst the public at-large who truly don't care how or why Bitcoins work.
Right, the "general public" simply wants something they can use. Then can care less how it works internally. They just want to send money to each other without hassle. I hear complaints about payments services all the time, how they have strange country restrictions or require a creditcard, or require giving out all kinds of personal information. Bitcoin could easily offer a hassle-free digital payment solution.

This is why I think improving the user perspective is important, hence my focus on improving the UI. Also very important are the projects that integrate bitcoin payments into merchant site software, and of course the mobile clients.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 04:08:18 PM

bitcoin is kind of a mechanism to a fair distribution of wealth, so any big money maker would kinda feel like a capitalist playing in a communist's playground.... as in uneasy :-)

Irony: me quoting misinformation about bitcoin in a thread about how misinformation about bitcoin doesn't matter.

I now proceed to not care!  Cheesy

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: