Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 02:27:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to start out with no Bitcoins  (Read 1178 times)
Gambl0r (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:50:47 PM

Hey all,

I've been wondering for a while - all the sites I look at for buying mining hardware seem to only accept payment in bitcoins. I don't particularly want to buy bitcoins to then go and buy hardware and then spend an age mining just to get a bitcoin back - if I wanted to go down that route then why not just speculate by buying and selling bitcoins and skip the whole mining side of things?!

So - How do most people start out mining when they don't have any bitcoins to buy any (decent) hardware to start with?! I have found some sites that accept "normal" currency payments but they all seem to be pre-order only or MUCH more expensive than buying in bitcoins directly?!

Thanks for any info/advice
gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 11:29:07 PM

Why do you want to mine? Why do all newbs want to mine? Its for pros now.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 11:47:43 PM

I don't think it's for pros. It's for people who are willing to invest and not to expect anything back for a long time.
bumpk1nK

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:04:44 AM

So - How do most people start out mining when they don't have any bitcoins to buy any (decent) hardware to start with?! I have found some sites that accept "normal" currency payments but they all seem to be pre-order only or MUCH more expensive than buying in bitcoins directly?!

If you have cheap electricity you may buy GPU rig and mine Scrypt coins and exchange to Bitcoin.

dc98wdHhcjkwleHUnBce8gd87teibN9ys38y3uTgsHG02e9-ok my keyboard works!
Insurance is a ripoff.
mindfulmojo

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:14:39 AM

Hey all,

I've been wondering for a while - all the sites I look at for buying mining hardware seem to only accept payment in bitcoins. I don't particularly want to buy bitcoins to then go and buy hardware and then spend an age mining just to get a bitcoin back - if I wanted to go down that route then why not just speculate by buying and selling bitcoins and skip the whole mining side of things?!

Do NOT buy a from a site that only takes bitcoin for payment for a miner.

This is an almost 100% surefire way to lose what bitcoin you have,

and not get a bitcoin miner too...

vv7

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:16:18 AM

Hey all,

That is what the large majority opt to do.
Gambl0r (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:19:09 AM

To be honest I want to mine because the whole thing is of interest and I can afford to give it a try and see what happens. However just because I can afford to risk it doesn't mean I want to spend twice as much on hardware just because I am using a regular currency.

In relation to a GPU rig, it seems like a waste of time - I'm ideally looking to start out with a 10Gh blade but as it stands can only find them for currency purchase on sites like eBay at a stupidly inflated price so I may end up having to go with a few of the new ant miner 1.6 GH usb keys till I mine enough Bitcoins to use for trade on sites like this one.

RE: speculating on currency,  that doesn't interest me to be honest. The majority may opt to do that but it's just not something that interests me tbh
gambit1

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:20:07 AM

Yep, just buy and trade.
tondaS

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:39:18 AM

The mining devices cost a lot now, I guess later next year the prices will be much more affordable.
gambit1

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:44:11 AM

The interest in mining can surely only be understood from a psychological perspective (Imma get something for nothing!). Its not rational. The difficulty is 1.1 million now. Just forget about it.

"I don't think it's for pros. It's for people who are willing to invest and not to expect anything back for a long time."

Nope its for pros. 1.1 million.
cardcomm

Activity: 294

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:56:26 AM

I agree, it's gotten to the point where mining is for pros. With that said, if you're determined to mine you pretty much have to face the fact that you're going to have to buy BTC to get the hardware. Unfortunately that's the current reality.

Or as you said you could choose to "pay too much" on ebay...

Easily see your cgminer status with my cgminerLCDStats app:  http://cardcomm.github.io/cgminerLCDStats/
Did my post help you or make you laugh? Let me know with Bitcoins at: 1CQfpMHQ5zVuZ5i9uxSHSSx4J8ZhehSjn3  Smiley
gambit1

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:06:55 AM

I feel like an evangelist on the pointlessness of mining.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:51:40 AM

KNC accept bank drafts as payment for their mining equipment, check link in my sig.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
jonanon

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:55:41 AM

I would advise simply investing in BTC - mining Bitcoins is very hard now.

Alternatively mine and alt currency and convert to BTC.

Wink
WorldWideBTC

Activity: 140

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 10:05:11 AM

Buy low, sell high.

You could try begging or getting a loan for your first BTC, but I advise buying some. I'm already in negotiations with another user to buy via Western Union. Hopefully I don't get scammed.

I intend to just stick to trading and loans. It's how I've made the BTC I have now. So buy from people wanting to unload, and go at about -15%. Sell to people willing to buy at about +15%.

Long term you probably want to wait to ride the BTC wave until it "peaks", then unload. Of course then you'll have some dead zone time where you wait for the wave to collapse again.
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 10:09:45 AM

Yep, just buy and trade.

It's not a good idea for newbies to trade these days...
cerleo

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 10:11:06 AM

Yes,maybe it's not so good idea to start trading.Try with something else,it could turn out to be better.
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 10:13:08 AM

You could buy and hodl... That works out for everyone Wink
cerleo

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 10:16:21 AM

Yes,this is a good option too.It seems like a good choice for now.
Wolf Rainer
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1022

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 10:49:22 AM

I had never buyed a single bitcoin... Never, even 0.1. I never spend my money in cryptocurrencies... But, i maded money from there, in the last 6 or 7 months i maded more than 3.000 USD just with the alternate cryptocurrencies giveaways, and holding they till hit exchanges...

I know, for some of you 3.000 its not much money, but in my country the salary per month its like 300 USD, so i maded a year money in 6 months without invert a single dollar and just for 1 or 2 hours per day.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: