Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:46:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Backing-up Multibit Wallet Question  (Read 597 times)
currencydebt (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 09:11:37 PM

In my bitcoin wallet - multibit - I set up the other day, I moved the downloaded folder to my desktop.  I was seeing if it worked so I transferred .01 btc and it worked. I closed the multi-bit client and today I reopened it today, and my wallet wasn't automatically listed so I did a file open wallet, and went to my app data folder and found the multi-bit folder and tried opening the .wallet file from there and nothing happened, I tried opening the .wallet file from the backup in that folder and nothing happened.

When I tried the .wallet file in the folder on my desktop, it worked and I could see the .01 btc in there.  What is the connection between the .wallet files in the app data folder and the .wallet file on my desktop? -- when I copy the folder to a backup device, I would only need the one on my desktop or the app data folder one or both?
currencydebt (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:19:55 PM

This is the problem with the newbie section, I have a real question but posting it here is out of place and it will be more luck than anything else that someone who knows the answer will find it in the newbie section. Soon enough it will be off the newbie section front page and will never get answered.
msc

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:36:37 PM

Multibit is a little buggy when it comes to opening wallet files.  For example, when I hit Open Wallet and then click on a folder, I've had it try to open that folder as if it was a file.  And sometimes when there are no wallets open, it has trouble opening one.  In the title bar it should tell you which file it's using, so I would keep trying until it opens the wallet and shows the correct path.  I just tried it in Windows 7 and it worked, but if you use your desktop, it'll create a data folder and an info file there too.

Also, just fyi, although you only need the .wallet file to have access to your balance, the .info file stores the labels attached to your addresses. 

As for the Newbie section, I use "Show unread posts since last visit", so I see all posts that are new enough, regardless of the section.
currencydebt (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:51:59 PM

msc, thanks for taking the time to explain that to me.

I got the multibit from the bitcoin.org site, now I just went back there and see there are several wallet options they recommend like the Bitcoin-QT and the Armory. Which out of these three do you recommend for setting up cold storage, backup and occasional transactions that I can just go with with ease and feel confident with.
msc

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 11:12:14 PM

I do recommend Multibit because it's fast and easy, and I use it primarily.  It doesn't do watch addresses, which would be good for cold storage.  But you can set a strong password and export the private keys to a USB stick.  Unencrypted private keys can be imported to Blockchain.info or other clients in the event that Multibit stops working in the future.

I use Eset Antivirus and Malwarebytes, but I still unplug from the Internet when I'm handling unencrypted keys, and reboot afterwards, just to be safe.

I tried Armory, and it looked fine, but it runs on top of Bitcoin-QT, which requires downloading the Blockchain.  So I don't think it's the best for casual use. 

I have Mycelium on Android, and it's excellent for a mobile wallet.  I wouldn't trust all of my coins to a smartphone, but I have a separate wallet that's shared between Mycelium and Multibit so that I can access that balance from both places.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:00:57 AM

This is the problem with the newbie section, I have a real question but posting it here is out of place and it will be more luck than anything else that someone who knows the answer will find it in the newbie section. Soon enough it will be off the newbie section front page and will never get answered.

There are several experience and knowledgeable people who monitor the Newbie section.

If you are wanting an instant answer, then a discussion forum is likely to be frustrating no matter what section you post in.

If you have some patience, your questions will almost certainly be noticed and eventually answered.  If it has been more than 48 hours and there is no activity on a legitimate question, then it is possible that it was overlooked.  This will most often happen with generic subject lines such as "I'm frustrated" (since scanning through subject lines is the fastest and easiest way to filter out all the spam and other wastes of time).

You can try changing the subject line to better indicate what the thread is about and then bumping it.  If it's been 96 hours and there is still no activity on a legitimate question, then either you are very unlucky and nobody has noticed the question, or you have phrased your question in a way that doesn't make any sense to the readers and they have opted to move on to help others.
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:23:57 PM

@Currencydebt To get back to the point that's important to secure the wallet anyways sure you only need to move your .wallet copies into the app data.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: