Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:21:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ColdPi - Offline bitcoin wallet on a Raspberry Pi  (Read 9344 times)
xabbix (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 11:15:21 PM

We took the Raspberry Pi and made it into an offline Bitcoin wallet.

It's powered by Raspbian and has Bitcoin Armory pre-installed which allows you to manage your offline wallet, receive coins, print paper wallets and more..

Using the Cold Pi is easy, just plug it in to an HDMI source, wait for it to boot and you're good to go.

We've started taking orders today via BitPay.

For more info please visit the Cold Pi website: http://coldpi.com (Still missing some manuals and FAQs, for any questions please ask here or email info@coldpi.com)

If you have any suggestions or ideas on how to improve Cold Pi we will be more than happy to hear.

Thanks.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pening

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:19:52 AM

Obvious suggestion is to just sell a suitably configured SD card on its own.  

You've also got a typo, you've accidentally put a 1 in front of $65 Wink
xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:21:30 AM

Obvious suggestion is to just sell a suitably configured SD card on its own.  

You've also got a typo, you've accidentally put a 1 in front of $65 Wink

Yes, we're planning on selling the SDHC card alone. Regarding the price, we're selling the Model B Raspberry Pi which is $50 alone. Add the Case, power cable, sdhc card, shipping and installation time and you'll find that we're actually selling it for quite cheap.
BitJock-e

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:09:35 AM

Looks great!

Nice job!
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:24:38 AM

$165? this is a joke right?

Greedy much?
BitJock-e

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:27:51 AM

Greedy much?

Im guessing they will adjust prices depending on demand.

xabbix, If I could make a suggestion, can you pre-load with a little btc in there?

If somebody is paying $165, how about giving $5-$20 worth of btc as a little promotional give away.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:15:47 AM

Where are the other manual on your site? There's only one available.
xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:05:29 AM

Greedy much?

No I'm actually not greedy, if you take all costs into account you will see so yourself.
xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:11:42 AM

Where are the other manual on your site? There's only one available.

We're currently working on more manuals, we will release a few today and some more tomorrow.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:19:49 AM

Regarding the price, we're selling the Model B Raspberry Pi which is $50 alone. Add the Case, power cable, sdhc card, shipping and installation time and you'll find that we're actually selling it for quite cheap.

You can buy the complete kit on amazon for $65
http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Original-Preloaded/dp/B008XVAVAW

Charging $100 to image an SD card is not quite cheap IMO. THough the idea is cool.
xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:28:52 AM

Regarding the price, we're selling the Model B Raspberry Pi which is $50 alone. Add the Case, power cable, sdhc card, shipping and installation time and you'll find that we're actually selling it for quite cheap.

You can buy the complete kit on amazon for $65
http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Original-Preloaded/dp/B008XVAVAW

Charging $100 to image an SD card is not quite cheap IMO. THough the idea is cool.

Wow that's pretty cool, I have to say I can't buy these where I live for that price. It's kind of weird since the Raspberry Pi B model price is fixed pretty much worldwide on $50, so he has to fit in an SD card, HDMI, power cable and case for 15 which is impossible, so maybe it's refurbished or something?

One more thing about the SDHC card, the one you're seeing on the picture is a Class 4 SDHC card, I'm providing a class 10 card which read/writes much faster.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:39:20 AM

Just how much do you think those plastic cases or cables cost in volume? Its not impossible, nor used. Its from quite a reputable seller.
RS/allied also sells Model B's for $35
http://www.alliedelec.com/lp/120626rasomodelb/

$37 with 8GB card
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=70313519
xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:40:42 AM

Just how much do you think those plastic cases or cables cost in volume? Its not impossible, nor used. Its from quite a reputable seller.
RS/allied also sells Model B's for $35
http://www.alliedelec.com/lp/120626rasomodelb/

$37 with 8GB card
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=70313519

OK, note taken. I will do some more research and see if I can purchase it cheaper and will definitely alter the price accordingly.

Thanks for your help!
xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:00:10 PM

I have added the option to buy the SDHC card alone without the Pi.

I'm still looking into getting Raspberry Pis for a better price so the price for the whole kit has not changed drastically yet.

Please let me know of any issues.
MWNinja

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 03:56:41 PM

This smells like a GPL violation. You need to post the binary and all the build scripts to create the binary distribution in order to comply with the GPLv3.
xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:07:15 PM

This smells like a GPL violation. You need to post the binary and all the build scripts to create the binary distribution in order to comply with the GPLv3.

I was under the impression that if I do not modify the source code and keep the open sourced copy on the device I'm selling that I am not violating GPLv3, am I wrong to think that?
Renrub

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:25:37 PM

What is Coldpi recommended back up procedure for the SD card?
xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:34:08 PM

What is Coldpi recommended back up procedure for the SD card?

I'm writing this exact tutorial at the moment, you could use Win32 Disk Imager (also available for linux).
MWNinja

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 04:39:09 PM

I was under the impression that if I do not modify the source code and keep the open sourced copy on the device I'm selling that I am not violating GPLv3, am I wrong to think that?

Since you are selling a binary, you also need to make the source required (and build scripts) to recreate the binary available.  You can also sell this, but only at the same price you are selling your binary. Anyone that buys your overpriced shit is also free to distribute both the binary and source for free (so don't expect to sell more than a half dozen copies before it gets posted publicly).

xabbix (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:40:43 PM

Since you are selling a binary, you also need to make the source required (and build scripts) to recreate the binary available.  You can also sell this, but only at the same price you are selling your binary. Anyone that buys your overpriced shit is also free to distribute both the binary and source for free (so don't expect to sell more than a half dozen copies before it gets posted publicly).

The source code is included within the SDHC card. If you feel this is overpriced shit you don't have to buy it.. People are free to compile it on their own as I did.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: