Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:17:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advising the NXT newbie in line...  (Read 717 times)
cameronjmcphail (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:43:45 AM

Hey all.

So I've been swayed by NXT. Really interesting coin which seem, as a nonClone, to compliment the current BTC and altcoin market rather than compete. I like this.

Getting in late and currently being broke I'm wondering whether I should even be running a node however. Any advice. Installed today and managed to score 8 NXT from the two faucets but what I'm reading suggests the 8 NXT is no where near enough to have a shit-chance in hell of scoring a block in the future. Unless I'm crazy lucky which I'm lead to believe I am not (This was proven to me by a week of MemoryCoin2.0 mining straight after launch haha).

So can anyone clarify what the minimum NXT would be to have to make POS 'forging' worth persisting with? I'll likely keep a node running anyway since I believe this coin has a future and any help I can give has it's own reward but it would be nice to know if I will earn anything tangible from it.

Cheers, and thanks for all the wonderful threads. Awesome community here.

...Oh and mandatory begging...PLEASE... I can pay in respect and admiration:

If I was a dev I would create the RAT. Rice Analogue Trader.  I would be combined Pow/Pos and Pow would be CPU only in a way similar to XPM, as in it would contribute to the scientific community. Preferably running some genetic algorithms or some such fancy talk.  A tiny fraction of every transaction would become part of a fund which automatically and securely distributed it's RATs to a series of charities which worked towards creating food security in area's affected by climate change and what not.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
k33k

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:49:42 AM

Getting in late and currently being broke I'm wondering whether I should even be running a node however.

Luckily for you, getting in late doesn't matter much when the coin is 100% premined.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 06:52:46 AM

The coin isn't important, the technology is.

Once the technology works presumably many many coins will be able to migrate to it, such as all the coins currently using blockchains that they are unable to secure.

Maybe even also some of those that already moved away from un-secure-able blockchains to Open Transactions.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
cameronjmcphail (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 07:07:14 AM

Thanks MarkM. I have so much to learn about Cryptos in general yet, let alone NXT's technology.

So it sounds like I'm right to be interested in what's being developed here but not necessarily this first iteration of it.

Much study to do... Wish I could contribute in some real way.

If I was a dev I would create the RAT. Rice Analogue Trader.  I would be combined Pow/Pos and Pow would be CPU only in a way similar to XPM, as in it would contribute to the scientific community. Preferably running some genetic algorithms or some such fancy talk.  A tiny fraction of every transaction would become part of a fund which automatically and securely distributed it's RATs to a series of charities which worked towards creating food security in area's affected by climate change and what not.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 07:14:19 AM

Maybe even also some of those that already moved away from un-secure-able blockchains to Open Transactions.

i wonder if you could elaborate on this comment. what are some of these un-secure-able blockchains that have moved to Open Transactions? also i recognized the potential behind the ideas behind nxt and purchased some accordingly. your comment makes me curious whether that choice could have been a mistake EVEN THOUGH the ideas are groundbreaking.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 12:31:45 PM

+1000
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 12:36:30 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2016, 06:57:37 AM by markm

i wonder if you could elaborate on this comment. what are some of these un-secure-able blockchains that have moved to Open Transactions? also i recognized the potential behind the ideas behind nxt and purchased some accordingly. your comment makes me curious whether that choice could have been a mistake EVEN THOUGH the ideas are groundbreaking.

UKB, CDN, GMC, GRF, MBC, NKL, UNS ...

http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Ebrelus

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:41:27 PM

cameronjmcphail: Both Nxt and eMunie are worth keeping eye on them. But better to stay away from Ripple scam.

Also i would advice you to change account for one with longer password just in case...  

There is much study to do for us all to better understand comming opportunities and some dangers also to be able to spread the word about for others in simple language.
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:57:01 PM

+1000

cameronjmcphail (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:24:01 PM

Thanks Ebrelus, This is actually where I'm leaning. Have been donated a couple of hundred NXT from a currently unknown source so think I'll just keep an eye on it. Leave it running on one of my systems.

What do you mean about changing account for a longer password. Do you know my password? Are my security practices so pathetic?

I guess these are the early days of decentralised crypto-currencies. Best to keep an eye on everything.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: