Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 11:55:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advantages of Staking over Mining.  (Read 77 times)
staking.com (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 10:00:11 AM

There's been a debate over which consensus algorithm is better. We, at Staking.com, believe that the better choice and the future of cryptocurrencies lays with Proof of Stake (PoS). There are several main reasons backing this argument:
-You don’t have to spend your money buying a hardware, like ASICS or high-end GPUs used in mining which not only are not cheap, but also consume a lot of electricity and not only affect your profit, but also the entire envirenment itself.  Insted of spending your money on mining "tools" you can just buy the coin of your chosing and start making profit right away (in most cases).
-While mining you "create" new tokens, which means you don't need to be invested or even care about the project itself in order to mine a coin. On the other hand, in order to participate in the Staking you need to purchase and hold the coins you stake. It not only makes the price more stable, but also shows that you truly believe in a project/idea which is always the right mindset when chosing a cryptocurrency to invest in.
-The last but maybe the most important reasons is scalability. With PoS the coin can achieve 500-1000X more transaction per second comparing to Bitcoin for example (which currently stands at about 3-4 tps.
Hope this helps and if anyone has any question on the subject feel free to ask us !
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2111

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 11:14:13 AM

-The last but maybe the most important reasons is scalability. With PoS the coin can achieve 500-1000X more transaction per second comparing to Bitcoin for example (which currently stands at about 3-4 tps.

Transaction throughput scalability has nothing to do with whether a cryptocurrency applies PoW, PoS or any other proof of resource.

Anyone claiming such a thing is either lying through their teeth or has no idea what they are talking about.
staking.com (OP)

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 12:40:33 PM

They are not directly connected, but that doesn't mean they are totally unrelated to each other. I'm sorry if I explained it the wrong way - what I meant was that PoS offers scalability benefits. Projects based on a Proof of Stake algorithm have tackled many of the scaling issues of PoW by achieving better latency with less computation, bandwidth and storage.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2111

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 01:12:05 PM

Projects based on a Proof of Stake algorithm have tackled many of the scaling issues of PoW by achieving better latency with less computation, bandwidth and storage.

Scalability in terms of computation is determined by the amount of time it takes to verify transactions and their signatures which has nothing to do with PoW and is not improved by PoS.

Scalability in terms of bandwidth and storage is affected by transaction size and has nothing to do with PoW and is not improved by PoS.
magirental

Activity: 51

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 01:23:15 PM

Projects based on a Proof of Stake algorithm have tackled many of the scaling issues of PoW by achieving better latency with less computation, bandwidth and storage.

Scalability in terms of computation is determined by the amount of time it takes to verify transactions and their signatures which has nothing to do with PoW and is not improved by PoS.

Scalability in terms of bandwidth and storage is affected by transaction size and has nothing to do with PoW and is not improved by PoS.
thing is you need a blockchain for keeping a copy of valid transaction details on and removing invalid or bogus transactions, now pow is a great way to reward as better answer of a question created before every block starts and miners use their computational resources to get to a most suitable answer out of almost infinite answers. proof of stake verifies just by looking at someone and if someone has more money it rewards him. sometimes even poorer people get rewarded I agree but poor will never become rich using pos.
so, I am on the pow side ASICs are similar to having huge weight in your staking wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: