Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:41:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Most secure way of moving coins from cold storage to hot  (Read 806 times)
xabbix (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:14:17 PM

Let's say I have some coins on an Armory client on an offline computer.

Now I want to keep that computer offline, but would like to spend some of the coins.

What is the most secure way of doing that? I could print a paper wallet of my cold wallet but that will include ALL coins and I would like to use just a fraction of it.

Thanks
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:54:17 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2013, 04:22:24 PM by TierNolan

Now I want to keep that computer offline, but would like to spend some of the coins.

What is the most secure way of doing that? I could print a paper wallet of my cold wallet but that will include ALL coins and I would like to use just a fraction of it.

Thanks

Armory supports a watching-only wallet.

Boot up your offline computer and get it to create a watching-only wallet.

You need to get that wallet from your offline computer to your online computer (normally via usb ... don't copy the offline wallet).

If you import that wallet into your online computer, then it can produce transactions for your offline wallet.  However, it can't sign them.

Once you have setup the online watching-only wallet, spending the money is (relatively) easy.

Create a transaction and save it to usb.

Load the transaction into your offline computer and sign it.  This updates the file on the usb.

Return the usb to your online computer and it will broadcast the transaction.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
xabbix (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 03:58:53 PM

Great! Thanks!
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 11:38:34 AM

I would also sweep to new key just in case
Android rng exploit exposed private key just signing. Better safe than sorry.

behindtext

Activity: 121
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 01:36:42 PM

Thanks

Armory supports a watching-only wallet.

Boot up your offline computer and get it to create a watching-only wallet.

You need to get that wallet from your offline computer to your online computer (normally via usb ... don't copy the offline wallet).

If you import that wallet into your online computer, then it can produce transactions for your offline wallet.  However, it can't sign them.

Once you have setup the online watching-only wallet, spending the money is (relatively) easy.

Create a transaction and save it to usb.

Load the transaction into your offline computer and sign it.  This updates the file on the usb.

Return the usb to your online computer and it will broadcast the transaction.

do keep in mind that usb does have firmware and that firmware can propagate malware.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 03:23:14 PM

and if you hold a large amount of coins you could buy a cheap laptop on which you only handle your coins.

Flanagan

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 05:33:55 PM

For further assurance regarding this, I want to add this question:

I did create wallet in OFFLINE computer, made a Watch only copy, transferred with a USB pendrive that Watch only copy to ONLINE computer.

Now, my question concerning the USB malware possibility: Is there any chance that the USB could have carried the paper wallet (that I created within armory in the offline computer) or keys of the original wallet from the offline computer to the online computer?

Learn to listen, listen to learn.
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 07:52:31 PM

Now, my question concerning the USB malware possibility: Is there any chance that the USB could have carried the paper wallet (that I created within armory in the offline computer) or keys of the original wallet from the offline computer to the online computer?

If you assume an unlimitedly powerful hacker then yes.

However, the security assumption is that your offline computer is safe.  In theory, the OS could have been corrupted when you downloaded it.

The advantage of the offline computer is that there is only one moment that it can be compromised (at creation).  After that, it is safe.

However, if the offline computer auto-runs usbs, then there is a risk every time you plug in the usb.

Ideally, an "Armory" version of linux would have auto-run guaranteed to be disabled.

There are also suggestions for doing things like using the speakers to transmit data via sound signals.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: