Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 01:32:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop Mining  (Read 1377 times)
contro (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:16:47 PM

How much was the max Mhash/s some did in a laptop?
Can someone put my laptop mining? I don't mind  if it will have a low Mhash/s
Have you any advice for laptop mining?
yashin

Activity: 35

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:20:42 PM

not worth the mine considering you have to pay for eletricty.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:24:19 PM

Don't do it, because a working laptop is much more valuable than whatever you would be able to mine with it.

Seriously, don't do it. It will overheat, throttle, and destroy the lifespan of your device. Sell it and buy coins if you are that motivated.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
hypes

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:28:04 PM

mine an altcoin with low difficulty that you believe might become more valuable. don't overheat your laptop though.

miningair

Activity: 50

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:29:41 PM

Don't do it, because a working laptop is much more valuable than whatever you would be able to mine with it.

Seriously, don't do it. It will overheat, throttle, and destroy the lifespan of your device. Sell it and buy coins if you are that motivated.

x2

Its just not feasible with a labtop. Altcoins may be a better option, then you can hang on to them or exchange them for btc.
bitconnect

Activity: 57

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:31:01 PM

don't mine with a laptop >.> you'll wreck it. Do some more research! heres a rig to mine litecoin http://www.cryptobadger.com/build-your-own-litecoin-mining-rig/
orbman

Activity: 42
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:49:43 PM

It depends on the processor you have. Whatever it be, you cannot solo mine. With pools, you can make a little.
Pietdagamer

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:54:35 PM

I used my laptop to mine ones and I got 5kH/s... Now I'm just using my desktop with a GTX 760 to mine Cheesy
undeadbitcoiner

Activity: 896
Merit: 272

Undeadbitcoiner Will not DIE until 1BTC=50K

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 07:01:07 PM

Dont mine with laptop,
1: You will never get profit mining from laptop
2: your laptop overheats and finally no longer works
suggestion is to get GPU or not to try mining.
Good Luck

light888

Activity: 26

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 07:02:11 PM

I used my laptop to mine ones and I got 5kH/s... Now I'm just using my desktop with a GTX 760 to mine Cheesy

my y480 gives me 38kH/s Cheesy

It doesn't generate too much heat but I stopped doing that because I cannot risk destroying my laptop :/
contro (OP)

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 07:44:25 PM

i just wanna see if it works to, to convice my sister to put her computer to mine and to convince my parent's to buy me a new one, or if someone give me a loan i will gave it back in 3 months , need less than btc ofc i will give all my info, card drive license adress : )
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:57:47 PM

i just wanna see if it works to, to convice my sister to put her computer to mine and to convince my parent's to buy me a new one, or if someone give me a loan i will gave it back in 3 months , need less than btc ofc i will give all my info, card drive license adress : )

Of course it works, it is a computer and it computes things till it's broke.

Or if you mean works as in makes money? No, it will not make any money. You will simply destroy the thing. Unless your sister is a computer gamer her computer is likely totally worthless for mining as well. Even then (if she is a gamer) you've got a 50/50 shot of her computer STILL being mostly worthless.

You have no idea how to mine and are already asking for a loan specifically to mine? Are you insane?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3276

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 09:00:33 PM

... or if someone give me a loan i will gave it back in 3 months , need less than btc ofc i will give all my info, card drive license adress : )

Oh, I see. This thread is all about getting someone to loan you some money.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
maverick528

Activity: 148

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 09:36:37 PM

I think it can be done although it is a bit risky.

Just program energy saving options wisely so that screen turns off when mining and also hdd stops spinning. Use an external cooler or at least put the lappy on a stand so that there is an empty space below it.
On some notebooks is easy to take off the optical unit (you usually just have to take off a single screw),so you can save more power.
Take the battery out so that it is not using power to recharge it.
Do not use external USB mouse and/or keyboard, they also drain some power.
Make sure that the air input/output ports are very clean and not obstructed.

As for energy, an ideal setup will be using a solar panel to charge a 12V battery and then one of this generic adapters for using laptops in cars. That way energy is almost free.....

k3dlg

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 09:41:20 PM

Anything is doable, but I wouldn't use a pappy I cared about.
CaptainBeck

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 09:42:51 PM

I can get about 120kh from my laptop doing scrypt, but i recon that would last for about an hour before it burns down and melts to the centre of the earth.

Dont even try it, not worth blowing a laptop.
Colin Miner

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 09:47:54 PM

I used my laptop to run one of these bitfury USB sticks http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=bitfury&_osacat=0&_from=R40 from ebay. The laptop ran fine and didn't overheat. I got around 2.6GH/s out of it, 24/7.

But then I guess OP was getting at CPU and GPU mining? maybe not?

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
Colin Miner

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 09:50:37 PM

Take the battery out so that it is not using power to recharge it.
I wouldn't do this as the battery can protect the laptop motherboard from power spikes. Keep the battery in.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
StopSmoking

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 09:51:24 PM

Laptop mining is not efficient at all, better buy some cheap rig, you don't need all computer components,  just motherboard, gpus, 2GB ram and a HDD
maverick528

Activity: 148

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 10:10:32 PM

My Intel T3100 CPU notebook does about 6 KH/s.  Cry

Tried it for 48hs nonstop and nothing wrong happened so far.
It did heat a lot, but we are currently here in the middle of a heatwave with 38C temperatures so it is not strange at all.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: