Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:45:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who plans to shop on Overstock.com as soon as BTC payments work?  (Read 4097 times)
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 09:15:52 AM

They aren't launching till June unfortunately. Hopefully some other major online (or offline) retailer will be taking bitcoins by June.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:40:31 AM

Most definitely. As soon as they accept BTC, I'll spend some big bucks there!

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
black_swan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:05:09 AM

I will probably spend a few mBTC to support them and to demonstrate that there is a new market to cover
Can't wait for more merchants to follow overclock
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:10:03 AM

Still hoarding.

lol. That's the spirit Wink

(though I do understand)
emeraldforce

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:22:16 PM

im looking for a quality used workstation since I cannibalized all of my other machines mining over the past year. I would love to find a good one at overstock once they start accepting btc.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4111

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:31:46 PM

I've never used them before, but they seem to have quite a large stock where a lot of stuff I would normally get from Amazon. But, if it allows Bitcoin purchases which are not insanely priced this could be a great alternative.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:21:07 PM

I can't wait! :-)  Grin

I'll buy more bitcoins, just to spend them on overstock and support them.

more or less retired.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:22:45 PM

Seems Overstock is going to be scraping in a lot of profit just for accepting Bitcoin. Now, why don't other companies see this and jump on it? Overstock accepting Bitcoin is going to be one of their key moments to a successful company.
Tirapon

Activity: 898
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:36:09 PM

I will go out of my way to buy something when they accept Bitcoin as payment, even if I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 03:40:38 PM

I'll buy from them if their prices are competitive with fiat retailers. BitcoinStore already has competitive prices for electronics, and I'll probably buy my next new laptop from them.

Bitcoin has an intrinsic advantage over credit cards in that it avoids those credit card fees of 1-2%. Another reason why the banks hate it  Grin

I think the credit card fees for businesses selling stuff is more like 2 to 3%, plus additional hefty chargeback fees when the merchant is scammed by customers, which happens more often than you may think.

This customer fraud is, of course, passed on to the honest customers via higher prices necessary to cover the fraud and stay in business.

So bitcoin can eventually cause prices to drop while keeping profits at the same level.  A win-win for everyone and a great boon to the economy, jobs, etc.  Maybe not so much of a boon to dishonest customers who have learned to game the current system and certainly not a boon to the predatory credit card industry.

Once a few of the big retailers are accepting bitcoin for payment, many others may of necessity follow their lead.

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
Jcw188

Activity: 546

Carpe Diem

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 09:46:24 PM

I think we really should all do our best to shop at Overstock with BTC as soon as they accept it so they see it was a good idea and then other retailers will follow suit.

edit: has Overstock said what they will do with the BTC?  Will they sell it on an exchange?

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 09:49:18 PM

I think we really should all do our best to shop at Overstock with BTC as soon as they accept it so they see it was a good idea and then other retailers will follow suit.

edit: has Overstock said what they will do with the BTC?  Will they sell it on an exchange?
I don't think they have announced what they will be doing with the Bitcoin. I'm assuming they will be exchanging it or if they want to try and be smart they will try and sell at a higher price.
_wayfarer_ (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 10:48:07 PM

I don't think they have announced what they will be doing with the Bitcoin. I'm assuming they will be exchanging it or if they want to try and be smart they will try and sell at a higher price.
They'll probably do the smart thing, exchange part of it to keep some fiat cash flow, and hold a portion of it for future value, or for spending.  If they're able to spend the BTC in kind that will make the overall economy much healthier.

Try my free BTC price alerts | In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the Depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497 - Warren Buffet
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:02:52 PM

don't know if i will shop with them, but i'll make an effort to.
battlescars

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:35:58 PM

this is good, its nice to see more sites like overstock start to accept  btc, it will only expand bitcoin and the price will rise,

hopefully more stores start accept bitcoin so i can have more options on to spend my bits! Great move

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:55:11 PM

it's inevitable, but the more merchants that begin to accept bitcoin.. the more the government will monitor it. once it gets so big, big brother might change his mind and decide to regulate BTC a lot more than it currently is. it's inevitable though, so i'm not against it. it will have to happen if bitcoin wants to expand.
MrPalmer

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:03:51 AM

Yes, this is a very important step for BTC!  Let's all chip in a little bit and send a message that online retailers can really benefit for accepting BTC.  I'll certainly be shopping a bit. 

Pretty sure Overstock said they'd be cashing out BTC every night, to minimize risk. 

vadoff

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:23:02 AM

Definitely at least once, I don't shop at Overstock normally.
Caiapfas

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:57:40 AM

IMO overstock.com should be called overpriced.com

If you liked my post or found anything I said useful send some coffee change to
BTC = 3LxtsmCjRDPD6oYYwz31dwFJW9ktUy1Yuz
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000