Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:34:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does It Make Any Sense for Overstock.com to Accept Bitcoin?  (Read 1039 times)
smoothrunnings (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:16:33 AM

This was posted on Linkedin.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-12-27/does-it-make-any-sense-for-overstock-dot-com-to-accept-bitcoin#!

Enjoy!

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:36:46 AM

Right now, merchants seem to accept Bitcoin for three main reasons: They want press coverage, they’re libertarian fellow travelers, or they’re selling drugs.

what a narrow minded thing to say. i guess the writer of the article thinks that there are only 3 merchants in the bitcoin ecosystem, one being owned by a libertarian, one selling drugs (well thats gone now) and the third that doesnt do much real world business so is getting alot of free advertising through bitcoin.

yet..

i count over 20k merchants and thats just the ones i know about and all of them have different reasons to accept bitcoin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
zSprawl

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 02:50:50 AM

Right now, the press seems to cover Bitcoin for three main reasons: They want coverage, they’re libertarian fellow travelers, or they’re covering others selling drugs.

BTC: 1EyCRbT3YeskViEtH9KfRLpjdR2nsrrcW6
yitingyou

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:51:44 AM

enough vital to BTC
MrPalmer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:07:28 AM

It absolutely makes sense for them to accept BTC, and I imagine one day we'll look back and think of them as pioneers.  Crypto could be a huge variable in online commerce.  Overstock is just ahead of the curve. 

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:10:31 AM

even though they have not yet started to accept BTC, can you imagine the additional website hits they got from just going public with this? if i wanted more people to see my company, i'd just announce that i'd be accepting BTC.. and if i didn't want to, i'll have a change of plans at the last minute.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:15:00 AM

Right now, merchants seem to accept Bitcoin for three main reasons: They want press coverage, they’re libertarian fellow travelers, or they’re selling drugs.

what a narrow minded thing to say. i guess the writer of the article thinks that there are only 3 merchants in the bitcoin ecosystem, one being owned by a libertarian, one selling drugs (well thats gone now) and the third that doesnt do much real world business so is getting alot of free advertising through bitcoin.

yet..

i count over 20k merchants and thats just the ones i know about and all of them have different reasons to accept bitcoin

Yeah that is ridiculous. Have you guys seen the number of hosting providers that have adopted bitcoin? It's quite amazing.
Palmdetroit
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 04:32:22 AM

Yes it makes sense and now I just need somewhere to buy food! Huh

Kyt Dotson

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 04:37:49 AM

It's my suspicion that they could use the much lower fees and logistics associated with accepting BTC to give further discounts. Enough transactions and even a Bitcoin payment service would pay for itself rapidly while being cheaper than having to swallow credit transaction fees.

SiliconANGLE: Bitcoin Weekly (My weekly column)
Read Black Hat Magick - not your ordinary detective agency - geeky fiction
BTC: 13MPMB6wU9j9RcqFRsubtngmtmvh3guZGp
black_swan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 04:41:45 AM

It's convenient as they will covert to dollars immediately.
They use another method of payment, nothing more than that
Trance

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:42:16 AM

Absolutely, it will create much more international commerce within the BTC community and also create productivity within the cryptocurrency digital realm! Everyone has their own theories and so forth, but in my opinion it would be something very innovative and lucrative for both worlds!

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: