Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:12:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof-of-Approval: Version 2.0  (Read 1853 times)
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 16

Research, Analyze and Invent Crypto Systems

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2018, 04:02:33 PM

Hello Paul,

Why is it not possible to present two different epocs representing the same time period? That's where my attack angle was coming from.
If I understand correctly, the scenario would be like the following

A B C D E F G H I J K L
        P Q R S T U V W

Block P starts an attack chain by forking from D and subsequent blocks form one or more epochs separate from the "real" chain.

This scenario is called long timespan scenario and the winner fork is determined which (of E or P) represents higher signatory stake. Signatory stake, as described earlier, are all the block creators, approvers, epoch approvers, transaction signers of the forks that start with E and P.

Was this your question?
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2018, 04:17:37 PM

Hello Traxo,

So if those assumptions for super majority of users being online and bounded network asynchrony are not fulfilled, then security deposits are insufficient for security, although they might or might not help rate limit.
So without any effective penalty on malevolence there's no cost to attacking it regardless if the validator set is permissionless or permissioned.
He presumes the same vulnerability can be found in every non-proof-of-work design including Proof-of-Approval.

Proof-of-Approval does require majority to be online but not supermajority. That would not be possible without larger stakeholders being on cloud. Furthermore, parties would not move to cloud unless they have an incentive for it.

Proof-of-Approval's incentive for moving to cloud is block-approval award. It would be difficult, for parties to win block approval from non-cloud system. The assumption there is that once larger stakeholders move to cloud (some protocols call them supernodes), they are always online and provide security and liveness to the chain.

The big assumptions here are
1. Some parties have large enough stake that moving to cloud is profitable for them (due to block-approval award).
2. Parties actually act rationally and do move to cloud.

If these assumptions hold, Proof-of-Approval would be secure.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
Traxo

Activity: 568
Merit: 703

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 07:42:31 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2018, 08:06:32 PM by Traxo

Proof-of-Approval does require majority to be online but not supermajority.  

Then the transactions are only probabilistically final, not 100% final.
100% finality requires 2/3 of the validators to approve of the epoch.
Your blog is in error to claim you have an advantage over Ouroboros in this respect.
You can find links to the "math of safety and liveness" in @anonymint's latest blog.

See also this post
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2018, 06:28:37 PM

Hello D5000,

(However, you create another threshold as you pre-select some stakers to create blocks; if all block creators go offline, the blockchain stops this is probably wrong as simply the next slot would be chosen, but the problem persists in that it's likely that in some periods with low participation the block production will be slow).
Yes, there is a tradeoff between liveness and the amount of communication the network can tolerate in a slot. Options considered are, starting from the extreme

1. Everyone including those without stake can create blocks. This fails because someone can create a large number of nodes rather cheaply and flood out other creators.

2. Everyone with any (even the smallest stake) can create blocks. This also puts extreme burden on the network since this number can be very large.

3. Somehow limit which parties can create blocks in a slot. This is what I have been trying to achieve without inviting stake grinding (precompute) attack. The solution which I feel would work is
a. Id the currency. That immediately requires a larger bundle (called roll) since individual ids are too expensive to store.
b. Select some coin rolls - targeting about 10-50 stakeholders.
c. If the coin roll is large enough that the additional block reward would more than offset the cloud server cost, then most of those coin roll holders will be online (since cloud never sleeps).

It is the 3.c. assumption, if holds, will drive liveness.

1) It seems that it will be very difficult to reach the quorum of 50% for block approvals. I think this was also mentioned by Ix. In Nxt for example, which even has "stake leasing", about 30% participate in forging.
That is obviously something of great concern. The entire reward system is thought of from that perspective.
1. Assumption is that the stake distribution is not too uniform and is closer to pareto distribution (like every cryptocurrency that exists today).
2. Award system incentivizes larger stakeholders to move to cloud and stakeholders are rational.
3. Stake distribution is chunky enough (like every cryptocurrency that exists today) that cloud nodes constitute >50% stake.
If these assumptions hold, then it works, not otherwise.

2) If I understand it right, "block creators" compete to create blocks after a new time slot has begun. Isn't this Proof of Work, as the fastest block creator with the best Internet connections would have most chances to win? Wouldn't that lead to an arms race like in Bitcoin?
Yes, better network connection benefits block creators - yet another incentive to move to cloud. It does use external resource (communication), which does distinguish one party from another (e.g. proximity in network hops to a majority of stakeholders). Is it PoW? Possibly but it does not incentivize parties to burn a lot of resources or use specialized equipment like Bitcoin/Eth PoW. Is it fair to all parties? Not sure of that either. Probably fairer to nodes on cloud than otherwise.

3) Time slots can only be orientative as timestamps can be easily faked.
True. Version 2 got rid of timestamps, now it wants only the target slot id. Each party should ignore all blocks targeted for future slots. (Was this the concern?)

I countinued a bit in the whitepaper and found this sentence about the double-voting problem:
Proof-of-Approval provides award for valid approvals, even on multiple
blocks, as long as they are not in conflict, i.e., they share the same parent. An
approver’s award is maximized when they approves all non-conflicting blocks.
But if they approves any conflicting blocks, the award vanishes.
This looks like "duplicate stake detection" mechanisms in today's PoS coins...
This mechanism in essence is approving a single parent (although the approvals go to the child). Why the charade and not simply approve the child? The problem is that in order to get a majority approval on a single block, multiple iterations have to be performed. The protocol gets around that problem by using multi-voting (multiple blocks with the same parent). The cost is that finality is delayed by 1 block.

The problem is the following: If you want to double spend, then you will publish your "conflicting chain" with the double-spend several blocks/slots after you forked it from the "honest" chain. Now if the staker has already received the reward for the approved block on the main chain (and maybe he has exchanged it for a good or another altcoin) then he can safely approve the attacker's second chain. And as timestamps can be faked, it's no issue to do that after some time. This seems only be (somewhat) solvable with "slasher"-like designs.

There may be some protection against this problem because of your "block creator selection" process, but I think an attacker with 50% stake could game it, or at least keep trying until he succeeds. Maybe here I'm wrong however.
Let's go through all the scenarios an attacker (with colluders) can try. To avoid text repetition, here are some common rules used in scenarios.

a. Each slot defines coin roll owner who can create a block. This mechanism is not considered a security mechanism (not been analyzed for security) but it does not provide help to attacker.
b. An attacker requires >50% approval for creating more than 1 block. (The first block stores previous block's approval which they can get from the honest chain.)
c. Stake transfer per epoch is limited to <25% of total.
d. Fork selection procedure changes if one or more epochs have passed since the forks separated. In that case, forks' signatory stake determines the winning fork.
e. Transactions are context sensitive (hold a recent block hash). They cannot be copied from honest fork to attack fork (without attacker having the private key).

Scenarios:

1. Attacker holds a small stake and doesn't care about the network. Attacker needs to bribe near 50% stake in order to succeed. This is not much different from an attacker bribing near 50% stakeholders during consensus. It's the security limit of the protocol in the short timespan.

2. Attacker with colluders has stake less than max transfer stake allowed in an epoch (<25%). Attacker wants to mount attack after transferring his own stake and fork from a block before his stake transfer started (but no epochs have passed). The attacker needs to bribe (majority - own stake) for blocks to become valid in the attack fork and for attacker to win. Again, the total attack stake is majority - same as the protocol limit.

3. Attacker with colluders has majority stake and mounts attack after transferring their entire stake. Epoch stake transfer limit would ensure that at least 2 epochs pass before attacker has transferred their entire stake. The attack fork would start before the stake transfer started. In this scenario, the honest chain would have epoch approval and the attacker needs to exceed epoch (signatory) stake in honest fork to win. Signatory stake would be much larger than the majority stake.

There can be combinations of these scenarios but the result is either the short timespan protocol limit of ~50% or exceeding epoch (signatory) stake in honest fork.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2018, 09:48:17 PM

Hello Traxo,

@d5000, I think you may remember the discussion you had last year with @anonymint (under one of his former pseudonyms) in Theymos' thread about altcoins.
So it seems the points you are making here are reiterating some of that discussion about nothing-at-stake.
@anonymint wrote down his analysis of the nothing-at-stake issue which will seem to apply to all of these non-proof-of-work consensus systems:

https://gist.github.com/shelby3/e0c36e24344efba2d1f0d650cd94f1c7#oligarchy-if-pos-is-functioning

He does not think there will be any non-proof-of-work design that escapes from the nothing-at-stake problem except under the conditions he already mentioned when a super majority of the users are always online and network remains within a bounded asynchrony.
He is confident a nothing-at-stake vulnerability can be identified in Proof-of-Approval.
But who has the time to find the nothing-at-stake flaw in all of these non-proof-of-work designs?
It is like everyone wants to try to reinvent the wheel of nothing-at-stake finding some way to blind themselves to the fact their design is also vulnerable.
I read Shelby's paper above and I do agree with his analysis regarding PoS system and oligarchy. Although I'd put it slightly differently - stake based system requires unequal (pareto like) stake distribution in order to function correctly. Perhaps I took a different journey than Shelby but I did arrive at almost a similar conclusion.

In order for Proof-of-Approval to have high liveness, >50% stake must be online. That can only happen if those stakeholders are on cloud, which, in turn, requires ongoing expenses. How can stakeholders be incentivized to pay ongoing expenses? By rewarding them more than their expenses. If a large number of parties hold about the same amount of stake, either all of them have to be awarded to pay for cloud (leading to inflation) or they will not be on cloud resulting in low liveness. Unequal stake distribution solves this problem.

... when a super majority of the users are always online and network remains ...
Just minor correction in your quote - you mentioned "super majority" while Shelby uses simple "majority."

The inviolable rule is that 100% finality of transaction confirmations can only be obtained with a permissioned validator set.
Yes PBFT achieves 100% instant (0 block delay) finality only if the adversary is bounded typically to 1/3 of nodes. Unfortunately their adversarial tolerance is rather weak.

The adversarial cost consists of 2 costs - cost of unpermissioned nodes and the cost of getting the permission. Unpermissioned node cost is about ~$70/hour per 10,000 nodes which is negligible. The permission mechanism can be endorsement, locked-up deposit, PoW puzzle or a certification by an authority - each can be converted to cost - cost to create a fake identity, cost of resources for PoW, cost of deposit or cost to bribe an otherwise honest node. If the permission cost is set to ~$100 per node, a network of 10,000 nodes can essentially be taken over by a mere $1million. If a PoS system requires $50million to attack, the corresponding permission cost would have to be raised to ~$5,000 per node. Not sure how many nodes will actually join such a network.

Proof-of-Approval also offers definitive 100% finality albeit with 1 block delay. And it offers a lot higher adversarial tolerance ~50% stake.

Thanks for pointing out @anonymint's paper https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@anonymint/scaling-decentralization-security-of-distributed-ledgers - I am still reading it.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
Traxo

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 10:09:00 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2018, 11:51:38 AM by Traxo

Proof-of-Approval also offers definitive 100% finality albeit with 1 block delay. And it offers a lot higher adversarial tolerance ~50% stake.
@anonymint says that is impossible.
You would be defying the inviolable mathematics of BFT systems.
He says there's a flaw somewhere in your conceptualization of your design.
But he does not have time to help find it.
But that math is inviolable.

He is going to add this link to footnote 7 on that Part 2 of the blog:  fork*-consistency

See also this exchange between @Fuserleer and @Come-from-Beyond.
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2018, 10:27:10 PM

Hello Traxo,

Proof-of-Approval does require majority to be online but not supermajority.  
Then the transactions are only probabilistically final, not 100% final.
100% finality requires 2/3 of the validators to approve of the epoch.
I am sorry but I am not understanding something here. Are you saying that
1. By having 2/3 stake, each protocol automatically achieves definitive 100% finality, and
2. Somehow that definitive 100% finality is not possible with mere >50% stake?

Definitive finality is not a function of mere majority or >2/3 but rather a property of the protocol. If the common prefix property of a protocol is probabilistic, then the finality is probabilistic and not definitive. If the common prefix property is definitive then the protocol achieves definitive finality after the number of blocks determined by the common prefix property. Proof-of-Approval achieves definitive finality after 1 block - see section 3.3.1 of the paper (updated link https://github.com/Takanium/doc/blob/master/research/proof-of-approval.pdf).

Your blog is in error to claim you have an advantage over Ouroboros in this respect.
I assume this relates to finality. Ouroboros computes its common prefix property on paper's page 37 in theorem 5.2. Its common prefix is "k" with probability 1−(L/R)(CQ+CP+CG+DLS) where each of the factors are defined earlier in the paper. If I remember it correctly, I computed its k at adversarial stake of 25% and 49.5% with parameters from Cardano itself.

Did you arrive at different values for k for Ouroboros? If yes, I would love to see your calculations. Or do you believe it is definitive?

You can find links to the "math of safety and liveness" in @anonymint's latest blog.

See also this post
Thanks for pointing them out, I am reading them Smiley

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2018, 10:34:28 PM

Hello Traxo,

@anonymint says that is impossible.
You would be defying the inviolable mathematics of BFT systems.
He says there's a flaw somewhere in your conceptualization of your design.
But he does not have time to help find it.
But that math is inviolable.

He is going to add this link to footnote 7 on that Part 2 of the blog:  fork*-consistency

See also this exchange between @Fuseleer and @Come-from-Beyond.

Perhaps you can read section 3.3.1 of https://github.com/Takanium/doc/blob/master/research/proof-of-approval.pdf yourself. I am not saying that errors are not possible, but I have taken every care I could think of to avoid errors. Math is fairly straight forward as well.

Thanks again for yet another great read Smiley

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
monsterer2

Activity: 351
Merit: 134

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 07:53:06 AM

Hello Paul,

Why is it not possible to present two different epocs representing the same time period? That's where my attack angle was coming from.

A B C D E F G H I J K L
        P Q R S T U V W

Block P starts an attack chain by forking from D and subsequent blocks form one or more epochs separate from the "real" chain.

This scenario is called long timespan scenario and the winner fork is determined which (of E or P) represents higher signatory stake. Signatory stake, as described earlier, are all the block creators, approvers, epoch approvers, transaction signers of the forks that start with E and P.

Was this your question?
Shunsai

Hi Shunsai

I'm still wresting with how you'd need 99% stake in order to win this forking battle and not 51%?

Cheers, Paul.
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2018, 02:31:29 PM

Hello Paul,

A B C D E F G H I J K L
        P Q R S T U V W

I'm still wresting with how you'd need 99% stake in order to win this forking battle and not 51%?
Let's try with an example. The attacker has 51% stake (at block D) that he sells off in the honest chain (starting from block E) and then creates an attack fork from block D. Transferring attacker's stake takes more than one epoch due to epoch stake transfer limit. In this scenario, the attack fork wins only if the first block of the attack fork (block P) has more signatory stake than the first block of honest fork (E).

Let's count signatory stake at block E.
1. The attacker made a transfer in the honest chain. His 51% is signatory in honest chain.
2. The honest chain got some block approvals from some stakeholders in addition to the attacker. Let's assume additional stakeholders constitute 10+% stake.
3. The honest chain got epoch approvals. Let's assume those are additional stakeholders representing additional 35+% stake.
Total signatory stake at block E = 96+%

Let's count signatory stake at block P.
1. Attacker's own keys - 51%
2. Other block approvals? Not without bribing other stakeholders.
3. Other epoch approvals? Not without bribing other stakeholders.
4. Copying transactions from honest chain? Not possible since they have a recent block signature. (Only transactions that have hashes of unshared blocks are counted as signatory stake).
Therefore, the signatory stake at block P is just 51%.

The honest chain wins.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
monsterer2

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 06:33:08 PM

The honest chain wins.

Regards,
Shunsai

Hi Shunsai

Thanks for the detail, that clears it up completely. The key is the per-epoc stake transfer limit.

However, I've been thinking about this design some more and I think you still have a NaS problem, because a 51% attack doesn't cost the attacker(s) anything except the block rewards they would have otherwise earned for playing along with the protocol; i.e. they lose nothing, instead they stop gaining, so its opportunity cost rather than realised cost.

In PoW this is quite different; indeed, the cost of pulling off a 51% attack is that the attackers actually lose money to electricity equivalent in value to the block reward, so if their attack does not succeed, they lose money overall, whereas with proof of approval, a failed attack costs nothing, as I understand it.

Cheers, Paul.
Traxo

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 07:28:00 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2018, 06:46:18 PM by Traxo

I am repeating here verbatium what I received from @anonymint in chat, because I don't claim sufficient expertise to judge whether the following is correct or not...

I (@anonymint) quickly read most of the Proof-of-Approval paper. And I’m nearly certain I found the specific flaw.

In a sane world @Traxo wouldn’t have to relay this and make a disclaimer, but this can be (in other threads) at times a very special forum.

Definitive finality is not a function of mere majority or >2/3 but rather a property of the protocol. If the common prefix property of a protocol is probabilistic, then the finality is probabilistic and not definitive.

AFAICT, the probabilistic nature of your design is hidden in an attack on the liveness. Also there’s a synchronization (network synchrony assumption) flaw in the expiration of the slots and epochs.

The flaws in consensus systems can be very subtle. It gets quite tricky to analyze them. It seems to help in the analysis process to have a holistic conceptualization of the two major variations of Byzantine fault tolerance (BFT) which I will also explain below.

I assume this relates to finality. Ouroboros computes its common prefix property on paper's page 37 in theorem 5.2. Its common prefix is "k" with probability 1−(L/R)(CQ+CP+CG+DLS) where each of the factors are defined earlier in the paper. If I remember it correctly, I computed its k at adversarial stake of 25% and 49.5% with parameters from Cardano itself.

The comparison to Ouroboros follows in this post. I think you will see that your design shares the analogous probabilistic finality of Ouroboros. Perhaps when you quantify mathematically the flaw I have described below then you will arrive at analogous equations for your design. Although I haven’t actually dug into the nitty-gritty specifics of Ouroboros because AFAICT I don’t need to. I believe I already understand its strengths and weakness from the conceptual level, as I claim you will see below.

One of the drawbacks of hosting PDF files on Github the PDF can’t be objectively archived with archive.org. Thus there’s no way to capture snapshots in case the github is deleted or the edit history reverted.

I wish someone could get Github to fix that flaw. In the meantime, I wish PDFs would be alternatively hosted at a url which can be archived.

Section 1.1.1 History or Costless Simulation Attack downplays the plausibility of this quorum busting attack which AFAICT also applies to Proof-of-Approval. AFAICT, your design doesn’t eliminate this attack (c.f. near the end of this post).

I suggest that your paper should acknowledge that the attackers could have been the owners of those private keys from inception of the chain, such as for example how ICO issuers surreptiously buy the ICO from themselves awarding themselves 80+% of the token supply so they can manipulate the exchanges. That is the norm, not the exception. Or bought up at 50 satoshis per token during a cryptowinter. However, in that case you could argue that quorum busting attack is always possible at any time, and I would reply that’s true yet I think the whale oligarchs want to extract maximum rents from the system with more subtly parasitic schemes such as the following.

So selling all for BTC as they pump up the price buying from themselves on exchanges, taking leveraged short positions on exchanges, then attacking to double-spend the tokens back to themselves again which can crater the price driving up the value of their short positions. Then repeat the long-range attack as the price rises anew. Wash-rinse-repeat over and over. Nice corrupt world we live in. (Oh and don’t forget to hire some trolls to pick fights and bribe some mods to chase away those who want to write about the fraud)

Note the percentage of the stake required to attack the quorum depends on the variant of BFT employed. And for the DPoS permissioned variant then that degenerates to the quorum percentage required for electing the set of validators. Thus a DPoS system which requires only 50%+1 of majority to elect the witnesses (aka validators) degenerates from quorums required for permissioned validation (without slashing, c.f. below). The quorums are required for permissioned validation because alternative blocks are competing with each other due to the lack of slashing of conflicting duplicate votes (again c.f. below for the explanation of slashing). Thus a 50%+1 attack on DPoS elections can double-spent. Actually the DPoS elections are even more vulnerable than that as I explained in the EOS section of Part 1 of my latest blog.

Section 1.1.3 Nothing at Stake Attack states:

While forking attacks will be opposed by users with a
large amount of stake who will fear to lose their money, if the stake is evenly
distributed among many users, the attack is more likely to succeed.

In a consensus system with a permissionless validator set (i.e. BFT 2f + 1) and thus probabilistic finality, even if they were online at the time of the attack, users have no triangulated objectivity about which fork is the 50%+1 attacker or the “honest” fork. It’s ambiguous. Thus users they have no way to disincentivize fork attacks. A liveness attack is only by censoring blocks and/or transactions, yet the chain always moves forward if there’s at least one functioning validator. Censorship also can’t be objectively proven. Finality of a fork is measured only probabilistically. This is because it can’t be objectively proven at what time the validator set was entirely counted, because time is relative in blockchains and not absolute (i.e. not objectively triangulated) and permissionless means the validator set is not know a priori before the consensus round.

In a consensus systems with a permissioned validator set (i.e. BFT 3f + 1) and thus 100% probability of finality if the BFT ⅓-1 liveness and safety thresholds are not exceeded, users have objectivity about forks but no objectivity about an attack on liveness. If the safety threshold is exceeded then there's also no objectivity about forks. Censorship also can’t be objectively proven when the safety threshold is exceeded (although it can be proven in some designs below that threshold). Finality is 100% absolute if less then of the validator set is dishonest. If the liveness threshold is exceeded and the chain is stuck, it can’t be objectively proven if the validators are intentionally not responding.

@anonymint explained and discussed this in more detail with @Ix recently.

These are the inviolable ground rules. Any claim which doesn’t obey those rules is presumably incorrect (unless they’ve somehow derived and proven some new mathematical finding in BFT which is probably less likely than being struck by lightning).

Section 2.1 Summary states:

Approvers are allowed to approve as many blocks as they choose as
long as the approved blocks share the same parent. If not, the approvals are
considered conflicting and cannot be used.

Without clock synchronization this is the analogous flaw that I explained is in Ethereum Casper's slashing conceptualization. The conflicting approval can arrive at any time in the future. There’s no objectivity about the end of a slot or epoch unless there’s a consensus that makes the epoch final. And 100% finality requires a permissioned validator set and quorums. Time is relative in blockchains.

The math of safety requires that (in the absence of a synchronized clock with slashing then) for a slot to be final then the quorum size must be of the stake. @monsterer2 would be correct about the lack of safety margin in Proof-of-Approval— if not for the slashing aspect explained below. Without quorums, the math is that there’s no safety because the overlap of dishonest validators in two elections is greater than the quorum percentage of 50%+1 and thus the finality is only probabilistic. With quorums then the dishonest validators are at most less than ⅓ + ⅓ in any two elections which is less than the quorum size of . Again I refer readers to go read the derivation of the math which was linked already in this discussion thread already.

If you instead have assumed synchronization with an external clock (which is also a security weakness), then you can slash (delete) stake votes that vote for conflicting forks, but this converts your system to a permissioned validator set (the entire stake) and creates a liveness threshold. The 50%+1 of honest stakeholders are divided to vote on two or more block candidates such that no block attains 50%+1 because the 50%-1 attacker can choose not to vote thus making the chain stuck. If you instead only allow one block proposal per slot, the attacker can try to attack the randomization with stake grinding to always win the block election roll process. If that is proven to be intractable for the attacker (as is apparently the case in Ouroboros and Algorand), the attacker will still cause to 50%-1 of the slots to be empty. Proof-of-Approval thus does not achieve 100% finality within 1 block. So please correct your Medium post which makes that claim in comparison to Ouroboros. And the attacker can attempt to DDoS attack or bribe the roll designated block proposer for each single block for each slot. IOW, single block proposals per slot are a semi-centralized design.

Additionally the presumption of an expiration time for slots and epochs is fundamentally flawed. I (@anonymint under my other usernames such as @iamnotback or @TPTB_need_war) had discussed in 2016 why this is flawed. That discussion took place in either the decentralization thread or a thread I had created to brainstorm names for the altcoin I was developing. AFAIR, @monsterer (who is now @monsterer2) and/or @smooth had participated in that discussion. I do not have time to go digging through those long threads to find the specific posts, but from memory I recall that I had explained that there’s no way to triangulate when the end of the slot or epoch exactly occurred. Each node may have a different record of which events in the network were just before and after the expiration. There’s no possible solution, not even increasing the size of the error window that straddles the expiration tie.

Thus the slashing of votes by stake assumed by Proof-of-Approval is fundamentally flawed because it will be ambiguous which were slashed around the time of expiration. I had of course contemplated the design of Proof-of-Approval in 2015 or 2016, but discarded it as being too flawed. This is why I get frustrated w.r.t. the impact on my time (which I need for working on my project) to analyze all these various attempts to fix proof-of-stake, because they always come back to the same flaws that we had already enumerated in 2016. This is why for the past 2–3 years I have said that Vitalik et al are hyping vaporware for Ethereum scaling that can never happen. And why I have said that the DPoS that powers EOS, STEEM, CARDANO, etc can only function as an oligarchy of the stake that (often in obfuscated schemes) extracts maximum rents from the users.

Section 2.2.5 Slot states:

Each party in the network has a roughly synchronized clock that indicates
the current slot. Any discrepancies between the clocks are signifi-
cantly smaller than the length of the time represented by a slot.

This means only users that are live can know which network messages arrived within a slot and it presumes that clock synchronization can’t be attacked. It also presumes that a quorum of users observe roughly the same network synchrony and were live. Those are already notable security weaknesses (potential failure modes) which I think your design shares with Ouroboros.

When the approvals exceed the required quorum stake, the block creators
broadcast the collected approvals to the network. Creators of the next block
would place these approvals inside the blocks they create.

Thus your consensus system has probabilistic finality analogous to Ouroboros. And unless your design has the cryptographically secure randomization that Ouroboros employs, then your design is not provably secure and is prone to the typical attacks on proof-of-stake such as stake grinding.

The approval stake
stored inside a block also determines the owners of which coin rolls are allowed
to create the next block. For every slot, the block creators build on the
block containing the highest stored approval stake.

I don’t see the cryptographic proof that this is sufficient randomization to avoid all proof-of-stake attacks, especially the stake-grinding attack which causes a proof-of-stake to degenerate into proof-of-work unless an oligarchy of stake is in control. Ouroboros apparently has a formal proof that their cryptographic randomization is complete and secure.

Epoch approvals deter History attacks.

How so? Where's the security proof?

Regarding Theorem 3.6 your paper states:

Proof. Proof-of-Approval incorporates epoch approvals that are signed testimonials
of the stakeholders for a chain. Since epoch approvals are non-competitive,
provide large award and require little or no computation, all rational stakeholders
would collect this reward and in process, sign their acceptance of the
chain. Even if some parties are temporarily unable to participate due to network
issues, the fork selection process looks at union of all epoch approvers
between the competing forks. As a result, the “real” fork would have epoch
approval from nearly the entire stake and an attacker can win only by exceeding
it in their attack fork.

The long-range attack is a quorum bust (e.g. 50%+1) attack. Thus they can re-sign the epochs they need to. Thus this proof is incorrect.

Theorem 3.7 (Costless Simulation Cost). Acquiring private keys for a Costless
Simulation attack on a Proof-of-Approval chain is likely to cost dramatically
more than acquiring keys representing a simple majority in past.

Earlier in this post I provided two scenarios where the majority of the stake could be obtained for free or nearly free in the past. So why do you necessarily assume the attacker has to obtain them in the present. Proof-of-stake are oligarchy systems. The oligarchy takes ownership and then maximizes the rents extracted.

I didn’t intend to give you a bad day. Hopefully this helps you in some way not to waste time and effort. We can discuss further on Medium if you like where I am not banned. I will probably reply to one of your Medium, so you can respond to me there if you wish. Cheers also. Hopefully we’ll find a good solution for secure, decentralized, scalable consensus systems but physics may force us to pick any two of those three attributes.
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2018, 08:09:21 PM

Hello Paul,

However, I've been thinking about this design some more and I think you still have a NaS problem, because a 51% attack doesn't cost the attacker(s) anything except the block rewards they would have otherwise earned for playing along with the protocol; i.e. they lose nothing, instead they stop gaining, so its opportunity cost rather than realised cost.
I have been debating it as well if the deterrence provided in protocol is strong enough. For example, in the scenario described in my previous answer to you, at what cost can the parties be swayed to approve an attack chain. If the parties can be swayed rather inexpensively, then there is a NaS problem.

Does loss of one reward per misdeed provide enough deterrence? Also, should the misdeeds be recorded on chain?

Other deterrent schemes require loss of locked up stake. I feel that locked up stake causes more problems than the solutions it provides. Someone's stake can't be locked up without their consent. Therefore, it must be an opt-in, which in turn means that not all stake will be approving blocks or epochs. That makes the protocol's defenses against attacker much weaker.

One possible solution can be to temporarily blacklist the offender and not award them for x number of blocks or epochs. A problem with it that the offender can transfer their stake to a brand new party. Perhaps temporarily blacklisting that stake no matter who owns it for x number of blocks or epochs may work better. It adds additional housekeeping but might work.

Any suggestions?
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
Traxo

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 08:35:30 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2018, 07:08:08 PM by Traxo

I have been debating it as well if the deterrence provided in protocol is strong enough. For example, in the scenario described in my previous answer to you, at what cost can the parties be swayed to approve an attack chain. If the parties can be swayed rather inexpensively, then there is a NaS problem.
AFAICT, the slashing protection is only intended to be effective against a short-term double-spend, but it's flawed anyway.
Thus AFAICT the long-range attacker who has 50%+1 can rewrite the entire chain, thus wouldn’t have any hindrance due to the epoch window even if it wasn't flawed.
The 50%+1 attacker can in theory divide-and-conquer the vested interests.
Thus the 50%+1 attacker doesn’t even have the opportunity cost that @monsterer2 is writing about.

I have the same misgivings about locked up stake as you, along with the ensuing mess of fraud proofs and counter proofs makes the entire problem very hard to reason about and that loss of elegance is to be feared and avoided.

Concur and concur.

Note the NaS 50%+1 attack issue is separate from the liveness and probabilistic finality issues that @anonymint has explained in my prior post.
monsterer2

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 08:38:17 PM

Does loss of one reward per misdeed provide enough deterrence? Also, should the misdeeds be recorded on chain?

Other deterrent schemes require loss of locked up stake. I feel that locked up stake causes more problems than the solutions it provides. Someone's stake can't be locked up without their consent. Therefore, it must be an opt-in, which in turn means that not all stake will be approving blocks or epochs. That makes the protocol's defenses against attacker much weaker.

One possible solution can be to temporarily blacklist the offender and not award them for x number of blocks or epochs. A problem with it that the offender can transfer their stake to a brand new party. Perhaps temporarily blacklisting that stake no matter who owns it for x number of blocks or epochs may work better. It adds additional housekeeping but might work.

Any suggestions?
Shunsai

I'm afraid I have none. I have the same misgivings about locked up stake as you, along with the ensuing mess of fraud proofs and counter proofs makes the entire problem very hard to reason about and that loss of elegance is to be feared and avoided.

I'd like to draw a comparison to bitcoin if I may; as it stands the NaS problem you're facing is equivalent to what would happen if bitcoin always payed a block reward for every block, regardless of whether it was orphaned or not, making makes 51% attacks costless.
BitcoinSaving

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 12:11:26 PM

It looks like a great solution for 51% attack problem.  Smiley
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 03:52:21 PM

Hello Traxo and @anonymint,

I appreciate your taking time to read the paper and provide feedback - it's extremely valuable to me.

Section 1.1.1 History or Costless Simulation Attack downplays...
Section 1.1.3 Nothing at Stake Attack ...
Introduction sections 1.X.X are certainly not meant to be an exhaustive discussion on the subject - I appreciate your providing additional details.

Approvers are allowed to approve as many blocks as they choose as
long as the approved blocks share the same parent. If not, the approvals are
considered conflicting and cannot be used.
Without clock synchronization this is the analogous flaw that I explained is in Ethereum Casper's slashing conceptualization. The conflicting approval can arrive at any time in the future. There’s no objectivity about the end of a slot or epoch unless there’s a consensus that makes the epoch final. And 100% finality requires a permissioned validator set and quorums. Time is relative in blockchains.
I believe there are two (or perhaps more) things being considered together which perhaps are better discussed separately.

Item 1 - Clock synchronization
Discussed below in this post.

Item 2 - Delayed approval
Conflicted approval arriving late does not affect consensus since the consensus picks the block with most stored approval on top of the chain. Protocol assumes that approvals apply to a block and as well as its ancestry. Delayed approvals do not alter the consensus chain, they end up being ignored.

Item 3 - Finality
A protocol's stated properties hold within the bounds of the stated conditions. Let's discuss the cases (within the bounds of conditions and outside those bounds) separately. For reference, PBFT conditions
1. <1/3 adversarial nodes - no limit on stake
2. Synchrony required for liveness

Proof-of-Approval conditions
1. <50% adversarial stake - no limit on nodes
2. Synchrony required for liveness - chain freezes otherwise

Within the bounds of stated conditions Proof-of-Approval achieves finality within 1 block. PBFT achieves finality instantaneously within those bounds and even outside of them. While a claim can be made that makes PBFT far superior for that reason, perhaps the situation should be explored a bit more.

Is finality really relevant when the content of the chain cannot be trusted? A quick calculation regarding adversarial cost for taking over a PBFT chain follows.

The adversarial cost consists of 2 costs - cost of unpermissioned nodes and the cost of getting the permission. Unpermissioned node cost is about ~$70/hour per 10,000 nodes which is negligible. The permission mechanism can be endorsement, locked-up deposit, PoW puzzle or a certification by an authority - each can be converted to cost - cost to create a fake identity, cost of resources for PoW, cost of deposit or cost to bribe an otherwise honest node. If the permission cost is set to ~$100 per node, a network of 10,000 nodes can essentially be taken over by a mere $1million. In order to achieve $50million cost of taking over the chain, at 10,000 nodes, the permission cost must be set to ~$5,000 per node. I don't believe that is practical.

Let's compare that to Proof-of-Approval. It achieves finality in 1 block (within the bounds). Adversarial cost to go beyond its bounds (~50% stake) is likely to be pretty high.

The math of safety requires that (in the absence of a synchronized clock with slashing then) for a slot to be final then the quorum size must be of the stake. @monsterer2 would be correct about the lack of safety margin in Proof-of-Approval— if not for the slashing aspect explained below. Without quorums, the math is that there’s no safety because the overlap of dishonest validators in two elections is greater than the quorum percentage of 50%+1 and thus the finality is only probabilistic. With quorums then the dishonest validators are at most less than ⅓ + ⅓ in any two elections which is less than the quorum size of . Again I refer readers to go read the derivation of the math which was linked already in this discussion thread already.
In Proof-of-Approval, there is no validator set. Approvals are created by the entire set of stakeholders. Since all stakeholders are validators in all slots and the adversarial stake is bounded <50%, a quorum of just >50% is sufficient.

Section 2.2.5 Slot states:
Each party in the network has a roughly synchronized clock that indicates
the current slot. Any discrepancies between the clocks are signifi-
cantly smaller than the length of the time represented by a slot.
This means only users that are live can know which network messages arrived within a slot and it presumes that clock synchronization can’t be attacked. It also presumes that a quorum of users observe roughly the same network synchrony and were live. Those are already notable security weaknesses (potential failure modes) which I think your design shares with Ouroboros.
The clock synchronization has 2 components - the clock period and the clock offset. Parties can rely on their own clocks for the period. The clock offset is used for
1. Determining if a block presented is a future block and should be rejected
2. When to publish a new block

Item 1 is solvable by choosing a more complex chain height determination method based on the chains presented by nodes representing a majority of stake. The complexity comes from the fact that the stake must be determined from the chain itself.

Item 2 is fairly easy and can simply use a running offset from observed block publications on the network. Clock offset is not required for determination of validity of messages - block publishers use all (valid) approvals before they have to publish approval block for the next block creators.

The protocol does assume that during normal operation, a quorum of stakeholders is live. The incentive system of the protocol is designed to make larger stakeholders choose to operate on cloud. This is possible when the stake distributions are not too even (pareto like, similar to cryptocurrencies today) and parties are rational.

When the approvals exceed the required quorum stake, the block creators
broadcast the collected approvals to the network. Creators of the next block
would place these approvals inside the blocks they create.
Thus your consensus system has probabilistic finality analogous to Ouroboros. And unless your design has the cryptographically secure randomization that Ouroboros employs, then your design is not provably secure and is prone to the typical attacks on proof-of-stake such as stake grinding.

The approval stake
stored inside a block also determines the owners of which coin rolls are allowed
to create the next block. For every slot, the block creators build on the
block containing the highest stored approval stake.
I don’t see the cryptographic proof that this is sufficient randomization to avoid all proof-of-stake attacks, especially the stake-grinding attack which causes a proof-of-stake to degenerate into proof-of-work unless an oligarchy of stake is in control. Ouroboros apparently has a formal proof that their cryptographic randomization is complete and secure.
Theorem 3.12 shows defense against stake grinding attacks. To summarize here, the only option a "stake grinder" has is to drop some approvals from the block they are creating. That puts the newly created block at a disadvantage compared to other blocks and is likely to be not chosen (and defeats the entire grinding attempt).

Epoch approvals deter History attacks.
How so? Where's the security proof?

Regarding Theorem 3.6 your paper states:
Proof. Proof-of-Approval incorporates epoch approvals that are signed testimonials
of the stakeholders for a chain. Since epoch approvals are non-competitive,
provide large award and require little or no computation, all rational stakeholders
would collect this reward and in process, sign their acceptance of the
chain. Even if some parties are temporarily unable to participate due to network
issues, the fork selection process looks at union of all epoch approvers
between the competing forks. As a result, the “real” fork would have epoch
approval from nearly the entire stake and an attacker can win only by exceeding
it in their attack fork.
The long-range attack is a quorum bust (e.g. 50%+1) attack. Thus they can re-sign the epochs they need to. Thus this proof is incorrect.
Section 2.2.25 Preferred Fork Determination Procedure describes how epoch approvals work. Perhaps this example (quoted below) I provided to Paul may help.

A B C D E F G H I J K L
        P Q R S T U V W

Let's try with an example. The attacker has 51% stake (at block D) that he sells off in the honest chain (starting from block E) and then creates an attack fork from block D. Transferring attacker's stake takes more than one epoch due to epoch stake transfer limit. In this scenario, the attack fork wins only if the first block of the attack fork (block P) has more signatory stake than the first block of honest fork (E).

Let's count signatory stake at block E.
1. The attacker made a transfer in the honest chain. His 51% is signatory in honest chain.
2. The honest chain got some block approvals from some stakeholders in addition to the attacker. Let's assume additional stakeholders constitute 10+% stake.
3. The honest chain got epoch approvals. Let's assume those are additional stakeholders representing additional 35+% stake.
Total signatory stake at block E = 96+%

Let's count signatory stake at block P.
1. Attacker's own keys - 51%
2. Other block approvals? Not without bribing other stakeholders.
3. Other epoch approvals? Not without bribing other stakeholders.
4. Copying transactions from honest chain? Not possible since they have a recent block signature. (Only transactions that have hashes of unshared blocks are counted as signatory stake).

The honest chain wins.
Hope this example explains that the proof is correct.

Theorem 3.7 (Costless Simulation Cost). Acquiring private keys for a Costless
Simulation attack on a Proof-of-Approval chain is likely to cost dramatically
more than acquiring keys representing a simple majority in past.

Earlier in this post I provided two scenarios where the majority of the stake could be obtained for free or nearly free in the past. So why do you necessarily assume the attacker has to obtain them in the present. Proof-of-stake are oligarchy systems. The oligarchy takes ownership and then maximizes the rents extracted.
Agree that the attacker may not need to acquire keys in the present and the wording in the paper should be changed to reflect that. Still, for a history attack to succeed, the attacker needs to have access to keys representing nearly all stake, not just 51%. Acquiring that stake under pareto like stake distribution is far more difficult and costly than just 51% stake.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 03:58:16 PM

Hello Traxo,

AFAICT, the slashing protection only works against a short-term double-spend.
Thus AFAICT the long-range attacker who has 50%+1 can rewrite the entire chain, thus doesn’t have any hindrance due to the epoch window.
The 50%+1 attacker can in theory divide-and-conquer the vested interests.
Thus the 50%+1 attacker doesn’t even have the opportunity cost that @monsterer2 is writing about.

Explanation of defense of the history attack is in my previous post to you and @anonymint.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
shunsaitakahashi (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 04:02:52 PM

Hello Paul,

I am going to work on "temporary blacklisting of stake" that violates the protocol including storing their offenses on chain. Let's see if that does turn out to be feasible.

Regards,
Shunsai

Twitter @shunsatakahashi
monsterer2

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 06:19:12 PM

Hello Paul,

I am going to work on "temporary blacklisting of stake" that violates the protocol including storing their offenses on chain. Let's see if that does turn out to be feasible.

Regards,
Shunsai

Won't this decrease the overall network participation rate, as accidental violations will naturally occur due to latency and connectivity issues?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: