Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:30:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which cryptocurrency will be dominant by 2025?
Bitcoin - 48 (57.1%)
Litecoin - 5 (6%)
Dogecoin - 7 (8.3%)
Another proof-of-work coin - 1 (1.2%)
A proof-of-work/proof-of-stake hybrid - 4 (4.8%)
Something with additional non-currency features (like Namecoin or Primecoin) - 0 (0%)
Ripple (or something similar) - 4 (4.8%)
Some technology not yet realized - 9 (10.7%)
There won't be a single dominant coin - 3 (3.6%)
Cryptocurrencies will be dead as the dodo - 3 (3.6%)
Total Voters: 84

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Which cryptocurrency will be dominant by 2025?  (Read 1938 times)
ToTheZeroth (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 08:37:59 AM

I'm thinking about what happens if Bitcoin should somehow fail in the long run, while the idea of cryptocurrency persists. What would replace it? I have a hard time seeing it replaced by something similar, like Litecoin – it would rather have to be something that solves a problem which Bitcoin does not solve. I'm not counting "can't be mined with ASICs" because of the huge implied "yet" at the end of that sentence.

So I thought I'd ask the community what you think. Will Bitcoin still dominate in 2025, or will we have another scene altogether, and if so, what will it look like?
PolkRB

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 09:27:10 AM

There's a famous saying "follow the money". Bitcoin is by far the biggest currency by capital. Not only that, but investors investing big time into bitcoin infrastructure like bitpay, coinbase etc.

I believe Bitcoin will be the biggest currency in the world. As for other alt-coins, there's place for them and to get an idea what will happen to them, think of it as Linux distros. There are just a couple of big ones that hold 99% share and the rest are nearly not used, but they still exist.
Xav

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:25:30 AM

"Computer says NO !"

Very often I hear this praise about Bitcoin being the new currency, which will change the current corrupted money system ruled by bankers and governments. Relatively speaking I don't think Bitcoin will do any better, because of its intrinsic (yeah, why not use this word again) distribution problem. At this moment less than 3 million people, and probably it would be more accurate to think that less than 100 thousand people own 12 million BTCs, which is more than 50% of the future Bitcoin economy. Those 'cowboys' will be our new bankers and the old bankers and govs will never ever give up their "legal domination." In between these forces common people have no "fair" choice, now have they?

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:28:50 AM

Ripple is not a cryptocurrency - it could be very possible that Ripple gets widespread use as payment system while Bitcoins are the major cryptocurrency used for settling these payments.

XRP are the native asset on Ripple and a cryptocurrency, I don't think they will be dominant though - just like NXT or Mastercoins they act more like a trading token than a store of value.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
dc0ded

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:20:00 PM

Bitcoin ofcourse. They have already got the edge of being first in the game.
e521

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:25:24 PM

Bitcoin.
If Bincoin doesn't exist probably something really bad happened

jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:43:18 PM

Bitcoin. I think the hardest part is getting mainstream places to accept cryptocurrencies as payment, and bitcoin is starting to do that.
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 04:19:15 PM

BTC would be my guess but I do have a lingering fear someone or some entity will try to take it down.  If it survives then it can really fly but I fear for its safety (as if it's a person haha). 

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 04:39:00 PM

Bitcoin or all cryptocurrencies dead!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 04:40:42 PM

where is scam-feathercoin  Cheesy ?

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:20:14 PM

where is scam-feathercoin  Cheesy ?

What's a scam about it? Or are you one of these folk that think anything other than BTC and LTC are scams?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: