Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:36:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HD5970 new in stock newegg 499$ !  (Read 11278 times)
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 12:22:45 AM

God, back in stock? Sad

Tax:   $72.50
Shipping:   $10.10

Cry

Re: solidcoins, I'm making hundreds of dollars in solid coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pennytrader

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 12:25:41 AM

I put in the order, then cancelled it. Not really worth it as I can't be sure what's the final bitcoin price will be stable at.

please donate to 1P3m2resGCP2o2sFX324DP1mfqHgGPA8BL
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 01:08:05 AM

God, back in stock? Sad

Cry

Hundreds of dollars? That seems a bit hard to believe. You have what, 4 or 5 GH/s?  You've said several times you're limited by electricity.
I assume that's not "per day" -- what are we talking about, 200% over normal BTC mining? 500%?

If it's very much, it can't last long or everyone'll be doing it.

"Solidcoin" is just another scam. And in exchange for the possible 300% mining returns, you have a chance of getting 30% of what you would have made mining BTC.
gw4tt

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 01:20:27 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2011, 01:31:19 AM by gw4tt

God, back in stock? Sad

Cry

Hundreds of dollars? That seems a bit hard to believe. You have what, 4 or 5 GH/s?  You've said several times you're limited by electricity.
I assume that's not "per day" -- what are we talking about, 200% over normal BTC mining? 500%?

"Solidcoin" is just another scam. And in exchange for the possible 300% mining returns, you have a chance of getting 30% of what you would have made mining BTC.

I just transfer them directly to the exchange and get bitcoins. I don't hold on to any of these coins. So the mining returns for me are much higher than mining bitcoins. I've made a little over $100 in 2 days mining solidcoins (14 bitcoins). I would've made about 3 bitcoins mining bitcion directly in the same time period.  

If you're buying mining hardware still it must be for the *Other* coins. Bitcoin really isn't worth it anymore.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 01:53:48 AM

Hundreds of dollars? That seems a bit hard to believe. You have what, 4 or 5 GH/s?  You've said several times you're limited by electricity.

Mining Solidcoins, sure.  But the bulk of my SC earnings come from trading.  Buy low, sell high etc.  If you bought 10 BTC worth of Solidcoins 3 days ago, they'd be worth about 50 BTC now, more or less.

Mousepotato
gw4tt

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 02:03:54 AM

Mining Solidcoins, sure.  But the bulk of my SC earnings come from trading.  Buy low, sell high etc.  If you bought 10 BTC worth of Solidcoins 3 days ago, they'd be worth about 50 BTC now, more or less.

Higher risk has higher potential reward. It could've just crashed down like i0, but then again it could also skyrocket to 0.10btc per.
Mousepotato

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 02:11:37 AM

Higher risk has higher potential reward. It could've just crashed down like i0, but then again it could also skyrocket to 0.10btc per.

Tell me about it.  I'm not saying I make perfect buy-at-the-bottom-sell-at-the-top trades.  In fact I've actually lost out on huge opportunities by getting greedy and waiting for the price to go higher.  But if you throw enough BTC into either SC or IxC right now (or at least earlier this morning), it's almost impossible to NOT make 2-3x your money back.

Mousepotato
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 03:47:30 AM

So IOcoin crashed pretty bad (delivering a smaller "bang" to the group of profit-chasing miners compared to, say, IXcoin 1 week previous) but SolidCoin somehow fared better -- somewhere in between the two? Better than IXcoin?

That's odd -- usually any pattern is less prominent the next "go-round" -- this is true with many things in nature, including markets.
As it applies to *coin blockchains, it means that each one will have a diminishing return, as more people get wise quicker -- cashing out, that is.

So you're saying SolidCoin bucked this trend? If so, why? I'd like to know what's so special about it.
pennytrader

Activity: 254

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 04:04:04 AM

The fact that this is still in stock, after some people bought 8 of them, is probably not a good thing. Now more hashing power will be added to the network and you know what to expect from a difficulty change...

please donate to 1P3m2resGCP2o2sFX324DP1mfqHgGPA8BL
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 04:04:17 AM

So IOcoin crashed pretty bad (delivering a smaller "bang" to the group of profit-chasing miners compared to, say, IXcoin 1 week previous) but SolidCoin somehow fared better -- somewhere in between the two? Better than IXcoin?

That's odd -- usually any pattern is less prominent the next "go-round" -- this is true with many things in nature, including markets.
As it applies to *coin blockchains, it means that each one will have a diminishing return, as more people get wise quicker -- cashing out, that is.

So you're saying SolidCoin bucked this trend? If so, why? I'd like to know what's so special about it.

third time's the charm...

I guess the only thing I have heard is that SC actually has a programmer behind it that can do more then just make simple
changes in code. Otherwise I am not feeling any other good reason. Plus the ironic thing is that it requires BTC to function
when it comes to exchanges so far. BTC sucks the website is basically trying to say but everyone is selling SC for BTC.
go fricking figure.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 04:05:27 AM

The fact that this is still in stock, after some people bought 8 of them, is probably not a good thing. Now more hashing power will be added to the network and you know what to expect from a difficulty change...

A thought crossed my mind.. is that what if these are refurb cards that the factory repaired and now calling them brand new?
Are they allowed to do such a thing? I honestly thought they stopped making these things.
coinhammer

Activity: 62
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 04:56:05 AM

I spoke with them on the phone, its a company in SF Bay Area. Apparently some system manufacturer was going to build a bunch of custom gaming machines and their order fell through so they didnt end up using the cards. Cards are brand new. I ordered 4, will post pics when I get mine.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 06:34:15 PM

God, back in stock? Sad

Cry

Yeah I'm chillin on 5GHash/sec, but SC has difficulty raising limitations, meaning even that hash power yielded significant coinage for long time (even now though it is petering out) and the price went up about 30x in a few days, contributing to out of the ordinary gains, not to mention investment in the coin yielded high returns. Now that BTC took a dump in the toilet though it's not "hundreds of dollars" "per day" or every couple of days, since the exchange is to BTC, but that's ok, I have faith in the bit to come back eventually.

SC hash rate went up and exchange rate has gone down, so whether it has "bucked the trend" or not remains to be seen.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 09:09:53 PM

wait, people are still buying GPUs for mining?

Yes, and with what seems like a new block chain being introduced every week, it's not hard to have a new card paid off in less than a week.  In some cases a few hours.  In fact I bought this 5970 out of profits I made off of 8 HOURS worth of mining Ixcoins Smiley  178 days my ass! Tongue

Now that's what I'm talking about! Mine for 5 min and make 200 BTC lol.

None of this 100-200 days of bitcoin mining.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Mousepotato

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:00:05 AM

Yeah that's crazy!  I wasn't quite that lucky (only made a total of about 68 BTC IIRC), but yeah there was a huge rush.  I suspect we'll see a second wave once Ixcoins hits block 20055 and the 400%/10% algorithm kicks in.  If that's the case, then Ixcoin valuation should be roughly 1/3rd that of Solidcoin (96 vs. 32 coins per block reward) so if Solidcoins are trading in the mid .02XXXXX range, then Ixcoins should (in theory anyway) start trading around .008XXX once it hits block 20055.  There's still a lot of room to turn a profit since Ixcoins are going for .003XXX right now.  /Speculation hat off.

Mousepotato
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:04:47 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2011, 04:18:17 AM by AngelusWebDesign

wait, people are still buying GPUs for mining?

Yes, and with what seems like a new block chain being introduced every week, it's not hard to have a new card paid off in less than a week.  In some cases a few hours.  In fact I bought this 5970 out of profits I made off of 8 HOURS worth of mining Ixcoins Smiley  178 days my ass! Tongue

That sounds great, except it's too good to be true.

That's a recipe for hyperinflation. I thought BTC were limited in production so hyperinflation wouldn't occur?

Apparently creating new blockchains is a workaround for this limitation -- a limitation which was put there for the stability of Bitcoin.

That 200 BTC * $8.00 *had* to come from somewhere -- maybe partially from me, when I sell my 10 BTC for $85 instead of $115? It's gotta be. For every extra dollar gained *someone* is losing a dollar.

I don't think many people understand this whole *coin universe is a closed system. 100% closed. As in, only so much money sloshing around.

John, Mike, Frank, Sally, Alice, and Tom are playing "economy" with seashells and buttons. There are only so many of either, so the economy is stable. They trade them in exchange for US Dollars, too. Sure, once in a while one of the kids begs his/her mom for a few bucks of their next allowance...but basically there is only $5 from each kid in "the system" sloshing around. One person's windfall is another person's wipeout. And if Tom starts another currency, "Acorns" and starts trading them for buttons/seashells, it's bound to bring down the value of the existing 2 currencies. Sure, once in a while one of the 5 kids might convince their parents to give them a buck or two, but that would be pretty rare. The fact is that only $25 is sloshing around the kids' "economy", which would have to be the total value of the various "currencies" they're trading. Now what if the seashells and buttons were limited, but the acorns weren't? In other words, the value of their existing currency(ies) were stable, but then a second or third currency comes along, and causes the value of the STABLE currency to drop, because demand is divided up.

I think the key point here is: Even if the quantity of Seashells is carefully monitored to prevent hyperinflation, the introduction of a second currency (Acorns) can cause hyperinflation IF two conditions are met: A) the citizens use both currencies, B) the price of Acorns is pegged to Seashells

Zimbabwe experienced hyperinflation, but it didn't affect us here in the US, because no one here uses Zim dollars. Moreover, we don't peg the dollar's value to "how many Zim dollars" it's worth. The same can't be said for Bitcoin and other *coins. The latter are easily traded for BTC, BY THE SAME SMALL GROUP OF PEOPLE.

Anyone holding their wealth (or a portion of it) today in "solidcoins" or "IXcoins" means that much less demand for BTC. No wonder BTC is $8.50 instead of $11.50 like last week.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 09:00:47 PM

so, what's up with these cards?  they are still in stock at several vendors.  Did AMD just make a boatload of these?
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 09:03:23 PM

so, what's up with these cards?  they are still in stock at several vendors.  Did AMD just make a boatload of these?

i heard a rumor that some PC gaming rig company ordered them but it all fell through.
so they sold them to other companies.. and thus a ton on the market.

i also think 5970s at 500 dollars each is not a great deal for btc mining and thus no rush to grab
them.
Mousepotato

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 10:55:49 PM

I just got mine and was a little shocked at how small the box was that it came in.  At first I was like "there's no way this is a 5970, the box is way too small.  They must have shipped me something else."  So I was kind of panicking while opening the box!  But sure enough it was a brand spankin new OEM HD 5970 shoehorned diagonally into the small cardboard box.  Apparently it was fit so tight that the mounting bracket was bent on the top and bottom.  No biggie since I can just bend it back, but it's something you might want to know about if you're thinking of getting one.  It came with a CrossFire cable, DVI plug, and Mini Displayport adapter too.  I'm a little disappointed in the packaging and now I'm a little scared to actually try it out!

Mousepotato
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
August 29, 2011, 10:58:49 PM

I just got mine and was a little shocked at how small the box was that it came in.  At first I was like "there's no way this is a 5970, the box is way too small.  They must have shipped me something else."  So I was kind of panicking while opening the box!  But sure enough it was a brand spankin new OEM HD 5970 shoehorned diagonally into the small cardboard box.  Apparently it was fit so tight that the mounting bracket was bent on the top and bottom.  No biggie since I can just bend it back, but it's something you might want to know about if you're thinking of getting one.  It came with a CrossFire cable, DVI plug, and Mini Displayport adapter too.  I'm a little disappointed in the packaging and now I'm a little scared to actually try it out!

No molex>Pcie adapters included?

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: