Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:17:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How and why Bitcoin will plummet in price  (Read 1966 times)
sickpig (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:50:43 PM

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/12/how-and-why-bitcoin-will-plummet-in-price.html

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:07:30 PM

Just a badly-researched piece of bullshit I'm afraid.

"Note that the more “optimistic” you are about BitCoin, presumably you should also be more optimistic about its future competitors too."

I must say I have really noticed the Bitcoin bulls jumping up and down with excitement about all the altcoins that come out weekly.  Roll Eyes

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
ineedit

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:09:29 PM

The writer has not understood that a coin does not have a fixed value. The user of the second coin would only be able to buy $450 worth of anything, the value of the first coin would remain at $500.

If I have been help then please show your thanks         BTC: 127PRogAVZiV3fEmpJERh9KemK3a3Ffh6G         LTC: LXghFL8mZffpTFkm2nRTesuDrV5DJQP3Js
Jochen

Activity: 228
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:18:55 PM

Many "experts" also said a few months ago that its nearly impossible that bitcoin would hit 1000$..
I rest my case  Wink
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 02:39:04 PM

This "expert" did his research so thoroughly that he wrote "BitCoin".
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 04:55:16 PM

Usually I attempt to admonish to some degree the regular circlejerk bitcoiners who reject an author's thesis outright if it has any kind of negative bend to it, but this write up just doesn't make sense. I can certainly picture a competitor cryptocurrency taking the crown from bitcoin at some point, but the idea that it would be introduced to the market at a rate of "$400" and people would instantly transition to it is a bit ridiculous. It almost seems that the author isn't even aware that there are already dozens of competitors.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 05:14:21 PM

I haven't read the article, but I can guess at what the author's point is.

the leading competitor coins, Litecoin and Peercoin (Yes, I know there are dozenS of these altcoins, but ltc and ppc ARE the leaders), have a LONG way to go to overtake Bitcoin in any way, shape or form. Will a new cryptocoin be invented that will revolutionize and become dominant in the near future? I think chances are slim and none, and slim just jumped off the bridge to his death.
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 06:37:34 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2013, 06:53:09 PM by shmadz

Fascinating article, not for the content, (which is mostly incomprehensible by me) but for the illustration of the inherent problems of over-specialization.

While the author appears to be very knowledgeable in *some* field, (I assume some kind of monetary theory?) he is absolutely clueless when it comes to Bitcoin. He simply does not have the breadth of knowledge required to even imagine what Bitcoin is.

I don't pretend to completely understand every nuance or the mathematics or cryptography behind the Bitcoin protocol, but my varied level of understanding of various fields allows me to at least conceptualize what something like Bitcoin is.

In his article he seems to be basically trying to fit a square peg into a round hole because round holes are all he knows. Because of his narrow specialization in whatever field, he has never seen a square hole before, and when confronted with something outside his field of expertise (the square peg) he is unable to correctly process that information.

edit- this is not to say that specialization is not useful or necessary. Without people that were specialized in the fields of cryptography, mathematics, and internet protocols, Bitcoin would not exist. I'm just trying to say that someone who is specialized in plumbing and pipe-fitting should not try to perform cardiovascular surgery.

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 08:22:26 PM

this person has no understanding of economics, and has his head up Keynes' ass.

that is all.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 08:44:48 PM

I haven't read the article, but I can guess at what the author's point is.

the leading competitor coins, Litecoin and Peercoin (Yes, I know there are dozenS of these altcoins, but ltc and ppc ARE the leaders), have a LONG way to go to overtake Bitcoin in any way, shape or form. Will a new cryptocoin be invented that will revolutionize and become dominant in the near future? I think chances are slim and none, and slim just jumped off the bridge to his death.

Ripple employees currently: 25+
Bitcoin developers ~7-20 depending on where you draw the line.

It's already an uphill battle folks.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:35:35 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-krugman-bitcoin-2013-12
After writing the post, Bitcoin supporters started flogging his inbox with "rage-filled missives," says Krugman in a follow up post.

He also said that the Bitcoin people have no sense of humor, and he suggested his "Bitcoin is Evil" headline was a "joke." In his defense, he really didn't write a post about why it was "evil," he just said he was skeptical that Bitcoin could work.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 12:23:47 AM

Krugman has been trolling Bitcoiners pretty consistently over the years, and it always was met with the same pre-conditioned response. He's become so good at it now that he can't even be ignored anymore... most appreciative. Smiley
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:27:35 AM

Krugman has been trolling Bitcoiners pretty consistently over the years, and it always was met with the same pre-conditioned response. He's become so good at it now that he can't even be ignored anymore... most appreciative. Smiley

?  Krugman's criticisms are easily dismissed.  Even a perma-bear like you must be intelligent enough to recognize the errors he made in his opus against Bitcoin.  I don't have it in front of me, but I read his entire position awhile back and was surprised at how loose of a grasp he has on the basics of both economics and Bitcoin.
nastybit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:31:53 AM

Did you guys seriously waste your time reading an article which start like this?

[...]
Then you want some Bitcoin, let’s say to buy some drugs.
[bullshit, bullshit, more bullshit]

They got the traffic and the backlinks needed. Next please..
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:47:41 AM

Professor Troll.

Edit:
Mind map.

Mucus <-> troll
Krugman <-> troll
Krugman <->mucus
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:55:40 AM

Professor Troll.

Edit:
Mind map.

Mucus <-> troll
Krugman <-> troll
Krugman <->mucus

QED, proof complete.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:10:44 AM

Professor Troll.

Edit:
Mind map.

Mucus <-> troll
Krugman <-> troll
Krugman <->mucus

QED, proof complete.
Ignore button pressed.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 01:18:41 AM

You are missing a golden opportunity here, nobody can force you to think, only encourage it...
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:00:27 AM

?  Krugman's criticisms are easily dismissed.  Even a perma-bear like you must be intelligent enough to recognize the errors he made in his opus against Bitcoin.  I don't have it in front of me, but I read his entire position awhile back and was surprised at how loose of a grasp he has on the basics of both economics and Bitcoin.

wait, when did electric become a perma-bear? seriously, you leave for a couple of months and all the oldfags become trolls? Huh Tongue

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:37:04 PM

Just a badly-researched piece of bullshit I'm afraid.

/topic

i am satoshi
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: