Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:21:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Geistgeld  (Read 1044 times)
ayayay (OP)

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:52:25 PM

Good morning---  I am willing to pay a bounty to someone who can rehabilitate the geistgeld coin. Once place on an exchange I can pay 10000 coins, perhaps someone else in the community  would be willing to  add to the bounty.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain-based credit card payments for legal marijuana. ▬▬
...GREENMED.IO... ❱❱❱  facebook  ❱❱❱  twitter  ❱❱❱  slack  ❱❱❱ ......PRE-ICO | September4th, 2017
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ WHITEPAPER ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 10:11:12 PM

rsnel has fixed up geistgeld with the so-called "dirty fix".

What that means is the RAM hogging problem has gone away but it is not indexing the merged mining proofs to disk like the full fix he did for I0Coin does.

The proofs are still present in the blockchain file, just not nicely index on disk for lookup.

Nothing apparently looks them up anyway yet so this works fine. It will still be nice just for completeness to get the full fix in place someday though.

It still uses the old geistgeld code too, so basically this is just a quick and dirty fix to solve the RAM hogging so people can go ahead and merged-mine GeistGeld without needing 16 gigs of spare RAM to do it in.

Someday it should be updated to latest bitcoin code and the full fix, that is, basically be re-done based on I0COin's nice new code.

But as it is it merges nicely, looks like it even might be working quite well enough for some major merged mining pools to be able to try it again.

Maybe we can get bitparking to give it a try?

The source code is at https://github.com/rsnel/geistgeld/

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 02:59:07 PM

The ram fix didn't work for me, it gets huge... 12GB+ and I have to restart the process.

Is there any way to know how large the network is? I have 70GH/s+ merged with geistgeld but I haven't gotten any blocks in over two weeks.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 03:11:34 AM

How long ago did you git clone it?

I had to clone it again because it turned out the fix had not been made the default branch you get when you clone, it was still in some other branch of the repo.

Now if you clone from scratch you actually get the fix as the default code it will build.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 09:45:26 PM

A few weeks ago, now it messes up when I try to build it, I've installed wxwigets, but it errors out and won't build.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 12:23:37 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2015, 06:19:48 PM by markm

wxwidgets is ancient, and even way back then the version needed was an out of date version.

I put a tarball of the one I was using at http://sourceforge.net/projects/galacticmilieu/files/

Because even then it was getting tricky to get the exact right version.

I never used it with GeistGeld though, frankly I never use GUIs of coins anyway so that tarball of wxwidgets dates back from when we were building GRouPcoin and DeVCoin maybe or something like that. But it is the version Satoshi used for bitcoin.

You don't need the wx crap to compile geistgeldd though. Is it worth the wxwidgets hassle just to have a stupid GUI instead of using commandline?

Really if people want a GUI they should get someone to make them a newer version based on a more recent version of bitcoin that uses QT for its GUI.

-MarkM-

eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 03:14:46 PM

wxwidgets is ancient, and even way back then the version needed was an out of date version.

I put a tarball of the one I was using at http://sourceforge.net/projects/galacticmilieu/files/

Because even then it was gettign tricky to get the exact right version.

I never used it with GeistGeld though, frankly I never use GUIs of coins anyway so that tarball of wxwidgets dates back from when we were building GRouPcoin and DeVCoin maybe or something like that. But it is the version Satoshi used for bitcoin.

You don't need the wx crap to compiled geistgeldd though. Is it worth the wxwidgets hassle just to have a stupid GUI instead of using commandline?

Really if people want a GUI they should get someone to make them a newer version based on a more recent version of bitcoin that uses QT for its GUI.

-MarkM-

Ohh, no I don't want the gui. This is running on a headless server anyway. I'm just running sudo make -f makefile.unix in the src directory and it's tripping up.

How do I compile without the gui?

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 03:16:49 PM

Many coins no one changed the bitcoind name in the makefile.unix, I think GeistGeld might be one of them.

So instead of making geistgeldd try making bitcoind.

That is, if "make -f makefile.unix geistgeldd" does not work (or in general for any coin the coin's correct daemon name) try "make -f makefile.unix bitcoind"

Then just rename it (and optionally strip it, "strip bitcoind" or "strip geistgeldd" of debug symbols if you have no plans to run it under a debugger or collect core dump output files for analysis).

To run on a server you might want to make sure the makefile tells it not to link in the miniUPNP library, or "make USE_UPNP= -f makefile.unix bitcoind" to disable linking in of the PNP library. (Since datacentre likely won't want you using PNP to mess with their router. Wink)

-MarkM-

eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 05:56:23 PM

I think it's working. It's telling me that it's downloading blocks. We'll see how it goes. Very verbose!

eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 06:30:57 PM

What is the blockcount at?

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 06:51:16 PM

What is the blockcount at?

"blocks" : 2323371

-MarkM-

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 06:28:35 PM

Aaaaand now the block count is at 4031721 Smiley

Yes, GeistGeld is still chugging along.

However, its extremely short block-times combined with its very rapid adjustment of difficulty cause a nasty problem with p2pool when merged-mining it.

Basically if you let the difficulty fall too low compared to the hashing power of your p2pool instance, it eats up all the operating system's connection handles, so p2pool cannot connect to anything.

I used to solve this by removing GeistGeld from my merge and solo mining it slowly back up to a high enough difficuly to not choke my p2pool.

Once difficulty is high enough, it can be added back into the merge.

I had this problem several times when nearly everyone else stopped mining it and my miners or p2pool screwed up.

The difficulty would plummet rapidly then p2pool would choke up.

The best way to solve this would be for more people to include it in their merge. Smiley

But we need to get the dificulty high enough first or they ned to start their p2pool's hashing power low and slowly ramp it up as it brings GeistGeld's difficulty up.

Then once we get the difficulty back up there, never have to many of the pools not working! We need to keep the difficulty up all the time, it drops very rapidly in response to lowering of hash rate.

Hopefully mmpool will be able to include it in their merge once we get it back up to a reasonable difficulty.

-MarkM-

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: