Bitcoin Forum
September 24, 2024, 08:53:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Ross Ulbricht his coins back and screwing the FBI  (Read 661 times)
givethecoinsback (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 07:33:56 PM

I posted this to reddit, thought it would be good to post here, what do you think?

I'm not technically proficient enough to make this happen, but we could fork the blockchain to distribute the FBI's seized bitcoins back to Ross Ulbricht? We would need 3 things to happen. Ross Ulbricht would have to give us an address on where the bitcoins should end up, fork the blockchain so that the coins are in that address, then convice GHash.io and BTC guild[2] to jump on the fork. Everyone's coins stay the same, except the global bitcoin community fucks the FBI and gives back the bitcoins to their rightful owner.

Directed To Ross Ulbricht:

Donations: 1NjYqme9tVGFqZy6HqJBabfYKWRcv2m4Mb

Smiley

MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1u18fy/we_as_a_community_can_screw_the_fbi_and_give_ross/
DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 3184

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 07:41:47 PM

It's certainly a nice sentiment, but wouldn't everyone have to download the revised blockchain manually to validate it?

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 08:16:37 PM

In my opinion, it is a good thing he got arrested. That is also not the way bitcoin works.

Forever strong.
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 09:32:56 PM

In my opinion, it is a good thing he got arrested. That is also not the way bitcoin works.

+1

I don't think what he was doing was right and I believe it was a good thing that he got arrested - I thought it was a bad image that whenever I read about bitcoins it was to buy drugs and I think the community will look way worse if you're reading about them spending effort to get a drug dealer who paid for murders among other things his money back. Plus its not like he can use the Bitcoins sitting in jail. I don't believe your fix would work and I'm certain that I and many other users probably don't want to spend their time and effort to allow him to get his coins back.

Discuss more w/ no newbie board restrictions at digitalcoindiscussion.com
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:26:03 PM

[...] fork the blockchain so that the coins are in that address, then convice GHash.io and BTC guild[2] to jump on the fork. Everyone's coins stay the same, except the global bitcoin community fucks the FBI and gives back the bitcoins to their rightful owner. [...]

Ignoring the issues of tampering with evidence in an FBI investigation and instead focusing on the snippet above, everyone would need to download and use the new blockchain, not just the largest pools. Not to mention an act like this would completely undermine the concept of Bitcoin, making it worthless.

satosh007

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:20:58 AM

[...] fork the blockchain so that the coins are in that address, then convice GHash.io and BTC guild[2] to jump on the fork. Everyone's coins stay the same, except the global bitcoin community fucks the FBI and gives back the bitcoins to their rightful owner. [...]

Ignoring the issues of tampering with evidence in an FBI investigation and instead focusing on the snippet above, everyone would need to download and use the new blockchain, not just the largest pools. Not to mention an act like this would completely undermine the concept of Bitcoin, making it worthless.
i do agree wit you too
but i think that OP had a point to in his suggested notion.

black_swan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:26:01 AM

No way this is going to happen and I am actually happy about it.
Whether he has been arrested and/or it's guilty I personally don't give a shit, the blockchain CANNOT be changed for any reason, unless technical.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: