Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 11:16:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accredited investors starting to get interested in BTC..  (Read 2352 times)
dancingnancy (OP)

Activity: 661
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 10:13:49 PM

My father is a private wealth planner.  Over the past couple months I have been hearing his clients calling into him and asking him about BTC.  Usually ends up with me getting on the phone with them and going over everything.  They for the most part have all been super positive when asking about BTC, but have some general questions and misconceptions.

My question is where is a good place to find the more technical info about bitcoin? 

That is the part that I really can't  obviously explain.  Most of these clients are engineers and business owners, so they are pretty much not "day 1" material types.  Anyway, the good part is that if clients are calling in and wondering to get in, there must just be tons of cash that isn't in BTC that will be very soon.  As soon as someone in the USA comes up with a legit exchange that doesn't suck is the time BTC will take off.  Just my opinion from some observations as of late.  There must be a large list of high net worth individuals that are in the same situation.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:25:25 AM

My question is where is a good place to find the more technical info about bitcoin?  

https://en.bitcoin.it pretty much has the lot (either in-site or linked to the main client's github documents).

Seeing as business owners are showing interest, it might be good advice to suggest selling goods and services for bitcoin as well as investing directly in holdings. It will improve the value of their holdings, as having more places to spend the money increases everyone elses propensity to hold or spend, as opposed to selling for fiat currency (i.e. increases trust in the reliable store of value). Very wise to accept bitcoin payment for businesses that have an international presence, or those that operate in tourist areas.

Vires in numeris
dancingnancy (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:13:03 AM

https://en.bitcoin.it pretty much has the lot (either in-site or linked to the main client's github documents).

Seeing as business owners are showing interest, it might be good advice to suggest selling goods and services for bitcoin as well as investing directly in holdings. It will improve the value of their holdings, as having more places to spend the money increases everyone elses propensity to hold or spend, as opposed to selling for fiat currency (i.e. increases trust in the reliable store of value). Very wise to accept bitcoin payment for businesses that have an international presence, or those that operate in tourist areas.

Thanks carlton, I enjoy your avatar and your posts.  At one point if they get in they will have more of a reason to receive payment in BTC.  At one point it may become a domino effect where everyone that isn't accepting BTC looks like an idiot.  From the conversations I have had with these HNW individuals, and take in mind I am a nobody, I think this timeframe is within 5 years.
MrPalmer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:30:39 AM

There must be a large list of high net worth individuals that are in the same situation.

Didn't Snoop Dogg just say something about wanting to sell his next album for BTC?  He's ready to get involved.  Lots of people are, it's just so uncertain - they don't want to be first ones in the pool.  I think we'll see a lot of retailers, and business owners, take on BTC as a form of payment in the next few years.

Nice handle, btw.   Cool

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:36:06 AM

My father is a private wealth planner.  Over the past couple months I have been hearing his clients calling into him and asking him about BTC.  Usually ends up with me getting on the phone with them and going over everything.  They for the most part have all been super positive when asking about BTC, but have some general questions and misconceptions.

That is the part that I really can't  obviously explain.  Most of these clients are engineers and business owners, so they are pretty much not "day 1" material types.  Anyway, the good part is that if clients are calling in and wondering to get in, there must just be tons of cash that isn't in BTC that will be very soon.  As soon as someone in the USA comes up with a legit exchange that doesn't suck is the time BTC will take off.  Just my opinion from some observations as of late.  There must be a large list of high net worth individuals that are in the same situation.

You should keep track of people that ask about bitcoins I be interested in that data just curious.

I would point them to coinbase, which isn't an exchange. But I have a feeling coinsetter which is in private beta will be the USA exchange that will blow the doors off exchanges, they are trying to raise ~$1 million in VC.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/-coinsetter-files-to-raise-1-5m-ea5bAJABT7G8PZqtkXyGxA.html
The_Gloomfrost

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 09:51:10 AM

Tell them to PM me and I will drive over and set everything up for them to get them with their first bitcoins.

Wink
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:56:17 PM

Has your father heard of this?

http://www.bitcointrust.co/

If they are accredited per the SEC rules a way to get them invested in Bitcoin and a way your father can earn something for helping them out.  Win win situation. Smiley  He can be the broker of record on a PENSCO IRA if they are using retirement funds which is a really popular option via Second Market.

Also has a nice little overly simplified presentation on why they should invest.  But should be perfect for the everyday person!
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 03:17:12 PM

This is bad.  

I mean, it would be good news if the Bitcoin network could handle it, but as of yet it is still limited to 7 transactions per second.

Picture a Snoop Dogg album going on sale for Bitcoin.  Day one, a million people try to buy it.  Each of them necessarily makes at least one transaction.  Most of them make at least two transactions because they have to buy Bitcoins first.   Two million transactions is about three times what our blockchain can handle per 24 hours, and that's even if miners start making 1M blocks instead of 250K blocks.  Which they won't do, because it isn't profitable.  

Meanwhile the network itself is melting under the strain as at least half a million people attempt to download the blockchain. 

Picture mainstream investors attempting to use Bitcoin as a financial network.  Same thing, EVERY day.  The Bitcoin network melts under the pressure, and we are all left holding the bag.  

mtnminer

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 04:38:09 PM

Actually this is why ASIC rigs are important and the future of Bitcoin, we ASIC miners will continue to increase our capacity and speed making larger volumes of transactions reasonable.

This load issues is what makes the ASIC Bitcoin network viable of script currencies.

Mtnminer

This is bad.  

I mean, it would be good news if the Bitcoin network could handle it, but as of yet it is still limited to 7 transactions per second.

Picture a Snoop Dogg album going on sale for Bitcoin.  Day one, a million people try to buy it.  Each of them necessarily makes at least one transaction.  Most of them make at least two transactions because they have to buy Bitcoins first.   Two million transactions is about three times what our blockchain can handle per 24 hours, and that's even if miners start making 1M blocks instead of 250K blocks.  Which they won't do, because it isn't profitable.  

Meanwhile the network itself is melting under the strain as at least half a million people attempt to download the blockchain. 

Picture mainstream investors attempting to use Bitcoin as a financial network.  Same thing, EVERY day.  The Bitcoin network melts under the pressure, and we are all left holding the bag.  

Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 04:42:11 PM

Wrong.

ASIC miners are not able to process more transactions.  They are only able to make more hashes.  There is a huge difference. 
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 04:58:09 PM

This is bad.  

Well, I'm not sure if buying albums, particularly Snoop Dogg albums, is so popular these days. And it wouldn't actually be quite so terrible, some people would end up with bitcoins but no Snoop album. And it would accelerate the decision making process concerning the block-size limit, and in a way where the source of the surge in tx volume could be accounted for. And I suspect that a gentle rise in daily transaction volume will provoke the situation before Snoop gets his act together anyway. Even moving to 10 Mb blocks (already proposed as an interim solution) would buy some more time, and the miners wouldn't be so traumatised for disk space.

Vires in numeris
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 02:22:51 AM

Great general explanation about bitcoin here:

https://multibit.org/faq.html
dancingnancy (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 04:32:44 AM

If they are accredited per the SEC rules a way to get them invested in Bitcoin and a way your father can earn something for helping them out.  Win win situation. Smiley  He can be the broker of record on a PENSCO IRA if they are using retirement funds which is a really popular option via Second Market.

Also has a nice little overly simplified presentation on why they should invest.  But should be perfect for the everyday person!

Ill show him this and take a look, thx
skivrmt

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:23:59 PM

And just as background, I do not work for or are affiliated with Second Market or Bitcoin trust. Smiley  I just think it's a really nice way for accredited investors to get there feet wet in the bitcoin market.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1304

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:33:10 PM

Fortress Investment Group (-$58 billion AUM) is reportedly launching a similar fund. Just FYI.

skivrmt

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:41:10 PM

Fortress Investment Group (-$58 billion AUM) is reportedly launching a similar fund. Just FYI.

http://www.coindesk.com/fortress-investment-group-launch-bitcoin-fund/

I think another great positive for Bitcoin for 2014.  The more big Wall Street money that flows into Bitcoin the better for everyone involved.  Becomes an a "real" investment vehicle for the mainstream public which then in turns attracts more users and buyers.
luqash3

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 03:43:22 PM

Thanks for telling us about your dad who is consistently asked about bitcoins. For sure investors all around the world are curious to know about bitcoins as it has given huge return to those who held them previously. I would suggest everyone to keep on buying bitcoins to participate in a big ride upward. 
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 02:18:06 AM

I heard about Fortress as well. If that actually happens, buy your bitcoins in advance of the launch Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: