Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:39:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase buy price is pegged to Bitstamp  (Read 4939 times)
_wayfarer_ (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 07:41:07 PM

I just started to notice this the other day as well. I figured since they were a BTC/USD exchange they would just establish a market rate themselves.  The only thing I don't like about coinbase is you can't put in reserve buy/sell orders at a given market price. Meh, other than that I like coinbase a lot, very stable and reliable.

I've developed my own tool that does buy/sell/stop loss orders through Coinbase, it works completely for me so far, but is only prepared for small scale deployment.  Anyone want to help me beta test it?

Try my free BTC price alerts | In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the Depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497 - Warren Buffet
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
_wayfarer_ (OP)

Activity: 93

Software Engineer

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2014, 02:14:10 AM

I built a trading platform for Coinbase using in part the data I've collected so far. You can log into my platform here: https://daybittrader.com/login/coinbase/ (Requires a Coinbase account). I'm looking for early adopters only, no big announcement yet.

Try my free BTC price alerts | In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the Depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president. Yet the Dow rose from 66 to 11,497 - Warren Buffet
redwhitenblue

Activity: 104

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 03:33:22 AM

This is not surprising.

Do you have a negative consequence to this?

Coinbase provides a valuable service to many (including newer) BTC users. They should be compensated for this service (buying/selling BTC). 
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 11:11:08 PM

Quck update: Coinbase no longer seems tied to Bitstamp, at least not this very moment.  Both the buy and sell prices are above Bitstamp's.  They're either making a hard buy themselves, or are tracking to another system.  Any ideas?

Will try to back my findings up with new charts, soon.

I just started to notice this the other day as well. I figured since they were a BTC/USD exchange they would just establish a market rate themselves.  The only thing I don't like about coinbase is you can't put in reserve buy/sell orders at a given market price. Meh, other than that I like coinbase a lot, very stable and reliable.

They likely use a number of exchanges and probably keep some for their own investment without even using an exchange at all.

For example if one person wants to buy one bitcoin they can sell it to them for $600 (they would already own it). Then if someone wanted to sell a bitcoin they could buy it from them for $589 to replenish their supply. Then they can adjust their prices based on a number of exchanges and based on how much people are buying and selling.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: