Bitcoin Forum
July 10, 2024, 10:52:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying cheap, used gaming PC for mining?  (Read 1246 times)
key00 (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:50:29 AM

I have the opportunity to get a cheap gaming PC, and I was thinking about re-purposing it for alt-coin mining.

Specs are:
Intel Xeon X3440 CPU. Quad-core, 2.53ghz (2.93ghz turbo)
Intel DH55PJ Motherboard (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh55pj.html)
8gb DDR3 memory
Nvidia GTX650 1gb video card (by PNY)
250gb HDD
Coolermaster Vortex Plus cpu cooler

Would a set up like this be worth purchasing for around $300, putting in a new power supply (800w?) and two GPUs from Newgg?

Thanks for the help.
efx

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:56:09 AM

Those lynnfield Xeons are selling for a good bit under $100 USD these days(also, not a CPU suited to games, no idea why some buy intel server/workstation for anything except full VM and ECC supprt), motherboard supports 3 or 4 GPUs with pci adaption.

Anyways, just rambling. I think that's probably a decent price. If it comes with even a halfway decent PSU, then I would say go for it.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:58:06 AM

Nvidia makes for crummy mining unfortunately. Yeah, it will do it but not anywhere near as efficiently as AMD.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
efx

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:59:04 AM

Yes, only keep the nvidia around to run a display or sell it/give it away.
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:03:05 AM

Well, in that case a dedicated mobo and cpu/ram could be had for less. Plus he's already considering a new PSU, what's the point in that rig then?

I don't think it's a good deal, no. A 5/6 gpu board, cpu and ram can be had for less than $175.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
efx

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:20:22 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2013, 01:46:29 AM by efx

Well, in that case a dedicated mobo and cpu/ram could be had for less. Plus he's already considering a new PSU, what's the point in that rig then?

I don't think it's a good deal, no. A 5/6 gpu board, cpu and ram can be had for less than $175.

I doubt it.

Which motherboard, which CPU and how much ram? Don't forget a place to store the OS, I doubt the OP wants to boot from a flash drive either. The ram in the above intel system would be 1333, so no reason to match against anything better. Though not important for a GPU miner, a low-end quad core is still kinda nice to have around if you would otherwise end up with a single or dual core for ~ the same overall system cost.

the 3 pci-e and 1 pci is the biggest negative, but we don't know how adept the OP is, nor what his cooling/noise situation might be. 4+ gpus could be a bit much for a a new miner to manage effectively.

The attractive part is the price of a complete system that is ready to mine besides decent GPUs and possibly a powersupply.

My thinking is that if the original buyer made such a silly choice on the CPU side, maybe a silly PSu choice was made, too.  Wink

Anyways, you might be right but I think you're underestimating a bit.

key00 (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:31:57 AM

I doubt it.

Which motherboard, which CPU and how much ram? Don't forget a place to store the OS, I doubt the OP wants to boot from a flash drive either. The ram in the above intel system would be 1333, so no reason to match against anything better. Though not important for a GPU miner, a low-end quad core is still kinda nice to have around if you would otherwise end up with a single or dual core for ~ the same overall system cost.

the 3 pci-e and 1 pci is the biggest negative, but we don't know how adapt the OP is, nor what his cooling/noise situation might be. 4+ gpus could be a bit much for a a new miner to manage effectively.

The attractive part is the price of a complete system that is ready to mine besides decent GPUs and possibly a powersupply.

My thinking is that if the original buyer made such a silly choice on the CPU side, maybe a silly PSu choice was made, too.  Wink

Anyways, you might be right but I think you're underestimating a bit.

I'm new to all of this and it looked like it could be a fun project. The original power supply is only 480w, which definitely isn't enough for two graphics cards.

Basically what I get from everyone so far, it's not a bad deal, but not necessarily a good one either.
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:35:59 AM

You'd think, but I do have this setting in my living room.

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab357/pontiacg5_2010/IMG_20131214_130206_zps1e53106a.jpg

Mobos like that MSI can be had for 75-80, and g1610 celerons can be had for $40. RAM, even 1600 like I have, can be had for $50-60 per 8gb. That's right around $175, $200 tops. A flash drive is fine, but I bought $40 ssds.

A 1200W EVGA like those for $180, and you are stocked for mining compared to that stuff. That's $370 and would run 4 280x cards, maybe even 6 under-volted 270's...

I'd say it's a horrible deal. Nothing there is worth squat IMHO.

Also, that would be all brand new stuff...

efx

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:37:00 AM

Correct, let's see what pontiac is thinking before you make any decisions.

Also, you can run PSUs in parallel so it needn't actually be a waste of money, as it can handle two decent GPUs (7950s or similar draw) on it's own and an additional economically priced PSU can run other GPU(s) and the rest of the system draw. Anyways, that's a bit of a complication but really not very difficult to do.

efx

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:41:14 AM

You'd think, but I do have this setting in my living room.

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab357/pontiacg5_2010/IMG_20131214_130206_zps1e53106a.jpg

Mobos like that MSI can be had for 75-80, and g1610 celerons can be had for $40. RAM, even 1600 like I have, can be had for $50-60 per 8gb. That's right around $175. A flash drive is fine, but I bought $40 ssds.

A 1200W EVGA like those for $180, and you are stocked for mining compared to that stuff. That's $370 and would run 4 280x cards, maybe even 6 under-volted 270's...

I'd say it's a horrible deal. Nothing there is worth squat IMHO.

Well, the z77a is one of the last boards I would ever purchase anyways, but that's neither here or there. Also, an EVGA PSU? Honestly, your own system doesn't support your own point of view as well as it could.

Your wife/husband/companion/whatever allows you to keep that in your living room? You're suggesting that he spend more for a far less complete system just because it can push more overall theoretical hashrate when he sounds like he's just trying to get his feet wet and test out the mining waters. I'm confident he does not want to boot from USB flashdrives.
Peacefrog

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:45:45 AM

Pontiac, or anyone else for that matter. Is 8gb of ram more beneficial to mining then say 4gb? not talking about gpu ram

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. Sha9sRtV5ermdZKwxZJPdT1cStK5RGWxGr
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:47:47 AM

Well, the z77a is one of the last boards I would ever purchase anyways, but that's neither here or there.

Your wife/husband/companion/whatever allows you to keep that in your living room? You're suggesting that he spend more for a far less complete system just because it can push more overall hashrate.

Why is that? It seems to manage just fine at 4300kh/s for the last two months. Runs 6 no sweat. Plus the two rigs I have running three 7950's each w/o riser cables. I have no complaints, and I have a lot of em.

I have a three bedroom house to myself at 23, and I do what I please in my house. Crypto paid the way, so I apparently have some good ideas. WTF does that have to do with anything?

Spending more for a less capable system? You must be off your rocker. I could build a rig that would handle 6 gpus WITH a 480W power supply brand spanking new for less than three hundred dollars. How is that a less capable system for more?

Only the new power supply makes the system cost more, and he's have to do that anyway with the $300 bargin bin POS rig. That stuff isn't worth $300, anyway, even if you weren't mining IMO.

Some people get away with 4gb of ram, but 8gb was only like $20 bucks more than a single 4gb stick when I was shopping. I honestly can't answer that question because I've never tried less.

efx

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:48:23 AM

Only if you're running high thread concurrencies on GPUs with lots of cache or have memory intensive desktop applications. For instance, I mine on my workstation from time to time with multiple GPUs, so 4gb certainly wouldn't cut it. Only if you're running out of ram is it important, otherwise there's no benefit at all.
efx

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 01:54:07 AM

Well, the z77a is one of the last boards I would ever purchase anyways, but that's neither here or there.

Your wife/husband/companion/whatever allows you to keep that in your living room? You're suggesting that he spend more for a far less complete system just because it can push more overall hashrate.

Why is that? It seems to manage just fine at 4300kh/s for the last two months. Runs 6 no sweat. Plus the two rigs I have running three 7950's each w/o riser cables. I have no complaints, and I have a lot of em.

I have a three bedroom house to myself at 23, and I do what I please in my house. Crypto paid the way, so I apparently have some good ideas. WTF does that have to do with anything?

Spending more for a less capable system? You must be off your rocker. I could build a rig that would handle 6 gpus WITH a 480W power supply brand spanking new for less than three hundred dollars. How is that a less capable system for more?

Only the new power supply makes the system cost more, and he's have to do that anyway with the $300 bargin bin POS rig. That stuff isn't worth $300, anyway, even if you weren't mining IMO.

It's not the specific board, it's the entire chipset that I avoid. I have my own experiences with vast amounts of hardware and I find it to be less than robust (outside of mining, mining is no great test of a chipset). That hardware has many years of life left unless it has been so strangled with dust that it almost caught fire.  

Okay, you live on your own. Does the OP? You're just making assumptions.

I said 'spending more for a far less complete system'. Complete =/= mining capability, the CPU in your minor is rather anemic (again, not important for mining but I said 'complete').

I think you're having a bit of trouble with reading comprehension perhaps...

It's pretty obvious that you think the system is a 'horrible deal'. I'm waiting to see actual evidence to the contrary.
key00 (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:10:55 AM

So I priced out components on Newegg and came up with this.

With a new power supply, two graphics cards and the used computer the total comes to $1209.

Buying new appears to be a better option.
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:13:21 AM

Are you serious? Intel's z77 ain't good enough for you? I don't even know how to respond to that.

What in the world does his living conditions have to do with anything? He obviously doesn't need 10 setups worth.

I could gather together a better "gaming" PC than that pile of parts from my scrap bin at work, and I'd bet 20 bucks that's where that setup came from.

"thinking about re-purposing it for alt-coin mining." What is wrong with my reading comprehension, exactly?

So what does "anemic" cpu have to do with anything? I think you are having a dense full retard moment, or you know you are in the wrong and just can't admit it. For mining, that entire setup is crap. You can buy new, for less, and be better suited for mining.

/endthread

edit: why the cpu cooler? The one that comes with that celeron will work fine. I also think you can shop it harder and come out cheaper still.

key00 (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:22:58 AM

edit: why the cpu cooler? The one that comes with that celeron will work fine. I also think you can shop it harder and come out cheaper still.

Don't know, thought it didn't come with a heat sink for some reason.

Thanks for you and EFX for your help.

Good to know I can ask questions here and not get laughed at too much, and I'm sure questions like mine come up a lot.
efx

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:30:55 AM

^^ Wow, you really aren't capable of basic logic. No, intel's z77 is not something I would ever purchase. Sorry that you don't like my opinion.

His living conditions have as much to do with it as everything else. If he is not able to dissipate the heat produce by the machine you propose effectively (for various potential reasons), then cost of the selected PSU and motherboard is completely pointless.

I really couldn't care less that you work in a scrap bin.

'"thinking about re-purposing it for alt-coin mining." What is wrong with my reading comprehension, exactly?'

Is that what I referenced? I was talking about your logical fallacy of turning 'complete system' into 'mining capability'.

A complete system might come in handy if he's not really interested in running a dedicated mining machine or if the profitability goes below his power cost threshold.

Do tell me, what exactly is the problem with your reading comprehension?

'So what does "anemic" cpu have to do with anything? I think you are having a dense full retard moment, or you know you are in the wrong and just can't admit it. For mining, that entire setup is crap. You can buy new, for less, and be better suited for mining.

/endthread'

Aw, aren't you a snarky little uneducated bitch.

So I priced out components on Newegg and came up with this.

-

With a new power supply, two graphics cards and the used computer the total comes to $1209.

Buying new appears to be a better option.

Now there's a decent comparison on prices, but still not ideal. I haven't fully research XION PSU's and still consider it to be sort of an unknown in terms of reliability, but I really don't know.

You are making the assumption that the ~400 watts available with the $300 system are not going to be used. I agree that it's probable the OP isn't interested in running parallel PSUs (for whatever reason), just covering all the bases though.

If he has a use for CPU compute power like I do, then the lynnfield and 8 gb of ram may still make some amount of sense.
pontiacg5

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:39:34 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2013, 02:51:39 AM by pontiacg5

^^ Wow, you really aren't capable of basic logic. No, intel's z77 is not something I would ever purchase. Sorry that you don't like my opinion.
We're only talking mining, like op asked. and I quote "(outside of mining, mining is no great test of a chipset)"

His living conditions have as much to do with it as everything else. If he is not able to dissipate the heat produce by the machine you propose effectively (for various potential reasons), then cost of the selected PSU and motherboard is completely pointless.
Who asked? Completely irrelevant to the question about this computer and adding two cards. I'm sure OP knows mining puts off heat, and if you wanted to remind him all it takes is "you know this'll put off 750W+ of heat energy?"

I really couldn't care less that you work in a scrap bin.
My reading comprehension is bad?

'"thinking about re-purposing it for alt-coin mining." What is wrong with my reading comprehension, exactly?'

Is that what I referenced? I was talking about your logical fallacy of turning 'complete system' into 'mining capability'.

Op asked specifically about mining, not "complete system."

A complete system might come in handy if he's not really interested in running a dedicated mining machine or if the profitability goes below his power cost threshold.

Again, pointless to the question at hand.

Do tell me, what exactly is the problem with your reading comprehension?

Mine?

'So what does "anemic" cpu have to do with anything? I think you are having a dense full retard moment, or you know you are in the wrong and just can't admit it. For mining, that entire setup is crap. You can buy new, for less, and be better suited for mining.

/endthread'

Aw, aren't you a snarky little uneducated bitch.

Proud of that fact. Keep your high schools and colleges to yourself, please. I do fine "uneducated" apparently.

Now there's a decent comparison on prices, but still not ideal. I haven't fully research XION PSU's and still consider it to be sort of an unknown in terms of reliability, but I really don't know.

You are making the assumption that the ~400 watts available with the $300 system are not going to be used. I agree that it's probable the OP isn't interested in running parallel PSUs (for whatever reason), just covering all the bases though.

480W won't run a system and two cards, and that was the question asked. 480W is overkill for a third card in parallel, a cheaper supply could be had for less.

Question:
'"thinking about re-purposing it for alt-coin mining."

"Would a set up like this be worth purchasing for around $300, putting in a new power supply (800w?) and two GPUs from Newgg?"

Answer:

Uh Dur!! What are your living conditions?! These things are hot!! Also you want a computer that can be used as a computer too, even though you didn't ask for that.

Full retard moment. Glad the OP found the better deal.

I would buy a name brand 80 gold 750W supply instead though. If you wanted to add another card that 480W supply might have been handy, but with a ~$80 750Wer you'll still come out cheaper in the end. A cheap, much less than 480W, supply could be used for one more card if you ever wanted.

efx

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:46:27 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2013, 03:02:07 AM by efx

There's a world of difference between cooling 2 or 3 GPUs and cooling 6.

What the hell do you not understand about this?

My comment about your work was obviously sarcasm, you don't seem to grasp that your little scrap bin anecdote was entirely pointless.

'480W won't run a system and two cards, and that was the question asked. 480W is overkill for a third card in parallel, a cheaper supply could be had for less.'

I never claimed it would, having trouble with reading comprehension eyesight perhaps?  Maybe you are suggesting that the cost of a 1200 or 750 watt PSU is comparable to the cost of an additional ~ 400 watt PSU, a combination that could run 3 decent GPUs fairly easily. Is that indeed what you are suggesting? 

Did he ever say re-purpose exclusively for mining or indicate that he only intends to mine on the machine? NO.

'I would buy a name brand 80 gold 750W supply instead though, and parallel another 650W supply for two more cards when you get them.'

Yeah, that's not a terrible idea but I would be interested in knowing how you reached the conclusion that the relative additional cost of a gold efficiency PSU is offset in by power savings, especially when the difference between silver (or even bronze!) can be minimal at best, depending on the relative efficiency ratings and operating conditions. Of course, there may be situations where there is no additional cost for a gold efficiency PSU. However, such situations are not a constant, nor would they even be a norm.

You seem to like drawing interesting conclusions supported mostly by opinion and you're unwilling to acknowledge your tendency, otherwise you would have engaged in this conversation like something other than a little immature kid.

*** oops, just notice key00 is the OP, my mistake key00  Smiley If you have no restrictions on acoustics, only really want to mine on this machine ( in other words, you have no use for additional CPU compute) and can see the possibility of running more than 3 or 4 GPUs, then new is a better plan indeed.  Also, buying a quality rebranded PSU is almost always the wisest plan (unless you like paying extra for brand names and stickers) , check out johnnyguru for detailed PSU information and reviews.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: