Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:57:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcing CGMinerManager - Automatically adjusts mining intensity  (Read 1457 times)
Sohcahtoa (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:42:20 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 08:44:43 AM by Sohcahtoa

How many of you people are like me in that your mining machine is also the machine you use for everyday computer use and/or gaming?  This GPU is great, but I can't mine at full blast on it while playing games, and I want it to mine at max intensity while I'm sleeping!  Sure, you can manually adjust the intensity in only a few key presses, but its easy to forget.  Nothing sucks like waking up in the morning and noticing I forgot to set the intensity back up after I finished my Skyrim marathon the previous night.  That's lost hashing which is lost money!

Enter: CGMinerManager

With just an easy to use command-line application, mining intensity can be adjusted automatically for you!  Just launch it with the settings you want, and go about your business and it will automatically adjust cgminer's intensity based on your running apps as well as whether your computer is in use.

CGMinerManager is written in Java and open-source, so you have the security of knowing that this is not a trojan that will steal your wallet.

Binary
Current version 0.2.2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mj9ggdt7f2pkf1p/CGMinerManager_v0.2.2.zip

Source Code
https://github.com/Sohcahtoa82/CGMinerManager

Quick Start
CGMinerManager requires the Java Run-time Environment to be installed (http://java.com/getjava).  Unzip the download wherever you want and open a command prompt in the directory you unzipped it in.  Then type:
Code:
java -jar CGMinerManager.jar
This will run with the default options which will make the intensity get set to 17 while the computer is in use, and 20 when it has been idle for 30 minutes.

To make CGMinerManager reduce intensity if specific programs are running, use the -t <process name> <intensity> flag.  This can be used multiple times.  For example, to have intensity reduced to 13 while League of Legends is running, but 11 while World of Warcraft is running, you would run:
Code:
java -jar CGMinerManager.jar -t "wow.exe" 11 -t "league of legends.exe" 13

For more options, including adjusting the intensity while the computer is in use or idle, see the README.md on the Github page.

This program is being developed by a broke university student.  Is this program useful to you?  Consider donating!  I can accept multiple coins:
Bitcoin: 19Mz5onCDfvKwoHUBEeiVdbhuuQQh989yf
Dogecoin: DHjpPYZBCr92T9kXQnwjqjw2Jfjeix4eHB
Litecoin: LUPUMKvbWYgxcznJNh5mwB2svk8G3FpyyF
Sohcahtoa (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 02:43:32 AM

Reserved
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 07:28:06 AM

This is excellent  Grin  The issue I have noticed when mining with my workstation is that my OS seems to grab hold of the GPU and not let go when running certain programs, as well as flipping between high intensity and low intensity .bats depending on if I want to actually use my workstation or not. I will give this a try

Sohcahtoa (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 05:46:35 AM

I've released version 0.2 which adds a --fullscreen option to detect when something is running full-screen and automatically reduce intensity.  From the README:

If the --fullscreen option is specified, then the pixel at location x, y is checked when the program starts. Note that 0,0 is the top-left corner of the screen, and 1679, 1049 will be the bottom-right corner if you're running a 1680x1050 monitor. This pixel will be checked on every poll cycle, and if it is different from the value it was when CGMinerManager was launched, then the intensity will be adjusted to the value specified on the command line. Note that throttling by running application takes priority, so if the full-screen app intensity is set to 12, but you're running MyApp.exe with a "-t MyApp.exe 13" command line, then the intensity will be set to 13.

On my 1680x1050 screen, I use "-fs 12 0 1049" which makes it check the pixel in the far bottom-left corner.  It will normally be part of the task bar and will be a grey color (I use the Windows Classic theme in Win7), but when I'm running a full-screen program, it will be colored something else from the program, be it a game or a video.  When this happens, cgminer's intensity will get reduced to 12, giving that program more GPU time.
Arcas

Activity: 1036
Merit: 524

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 05:47:49 AM

If only this existed 6 months ago!
Sohcahtoa (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 08:51:51 AM

Just posted 0.2.1 which fixes adds some error messages in a couple error conditions (instead of silently dying) and makes it so the application-based throttling actually *does* take priority over full-screen app throttling.  The .zip now also contains a .bat file to run CGMinerManager with default settings.
doromcc666

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 01:23:27 AM

great idea, should be useful to many miners.
Sohcahtoa (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 08:44:25 AM

Version 0.2.2 has been posted which fixes a silly mistake I made where the --idletimer (-it) command line option was interpreting the value as minutes rather than seconds.  Oops.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: