Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:42:46 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with onboard video and mining altcoins with a 7950  (Read 348 times)
TripCoins (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 04:58:50 AM

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has experience using onboard video to run Windows while using an HD7950 to mine altcoins.  I haven't been able to use both at the same time.  Either cgminer won't recognize the add on card (when I initialize the onboard video) or I initialize the card and the on board chip will not function.  Is it possible to free up a few extra hashes by letting my MB run the OS video?  Or, more importantly, prevent video glitching while mining without significant loss of hashing power.  Right now I have to cut about 20% of the hash rate to run glitch-free. 

Also, I ordered a new MB/CPU that will support multi-GPU mining.  I read that I may need to build video plugs to prevent the cards from shutting down with no video output.  Is that really necessary?  Will cards really not function when not attached to a monitor of some sort?  Could that be my current problem with both onboard and card video not working at the same time?

Thanks,

Trip
strawie

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:07:18 AM

You need a dummy plug.
http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: