Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:51:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Decision Point! -or- A Page From Arepo's Notes  (Read 2318 times)
arepo (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:01:59 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 10:35:48 PM by arepo

arepo - Is this our bear signal crossing the RSI support?

https://www.tradingview.com/x/hg02ySmu/

Seems we got MACD cross hitting on the same timeframe as well. I'm still on the fence as to how things will work out, but watching closely.

that flash crash was strange. sort of like a long squeeze. heavy volume over a very short period and then a rapid recovery.

it is true that it caused the RSI to break below the moving support. however, this alone is still not necessarily bearish. on the other hand, the bullish picture is gone. we seem to have a strong moving support but low weekend volume butting the price against a significant resistance. i would expect sideways consolidation until we can get enough volume for the market to make a decision either way.

it seems we have arrived at the aforementioned decision point! despite the tipping boat on the charts, i don't think it is yet time to panic Wink

i like to use technical indicators to help locate the underlying trends in the noisy price data, so i'd like to share with you some of my notes...

warning: some of the following may not be familiar to newer traders. if at any point you are confused as to what i am trying to say, feel free to ask below and i will clarify as best i can.

THE slide we just witnessed was anticipated most clearly by a rather cheesily-named indicator called the "Ultimate Oscillator", an oscillator calculated with moving averages, and another oscillator called the Slow Stochastic Oscillator:

===

10-day 2-hour scale @ BITSTAMP

http://s8.postimg.org/l3yz1tx6d/10day2hour30dec2115.png

http://s30.postimg.org/rkwylu0k1/10day2hour30dec.png

10-day bitstamp price data for reference

===

this is a markup i made immediately after the first leg down, showing how the failing of one moving support portended a movement down to the next level of support. black marks the primary moving support, grey marks the secondary. we have since broken through this as well, violating the trend. however, the 10-day scale is "micro-term" and doesn't give us much insight into the larger picture.

ON the 1-month scale, the Aroon Oscillator, an oscillator based on the Aroon Up/Down indicator system, shows a clear uptrend since the high-volume bottom around $400:

===

1-month 2-hour scale @ BITSTAMP

http://s30.postimg.org/pr2hn272p/1month2hour30dec2315.png

1-month bitstamp price data for reference

===

while this data is much noisier than the previous two indicators, a robust moving support with 4 points of contact can be discerned. the best aspect of this markup is that this moving support actually predicted the price support we're seeing the price interact with as we speak. that being said, the picture is not yet bearish, but we'll have to see a strong recovery in the micro-term in order to keep the data from violating this trend.

ANOTHER view from the slow stochastic oscillator:

===

1-month 6-hour scale @ BITSTAMP

http://s22.postimg.org/z2gp3aapt/momentoftruth.png

1-month bitstamp price data for reference

===

this is the most interesting view of the data, i believe, but it requires a little bit of interpretation of oscillator data: the slightly lower low on the oscillator corresponding with a higher low in the price data is a bullish sign, because the oscillator moving downwards indicates a consolidation or contrarian movement in the price, and when we see upwards consolidation allowing the relief of so much selling pressure while maintaining trend, it is a very bullish sign.

however, we also see a head-and-shoulders formation. impressively, here we see an independent set of oscillator data that predicted the serious resistance we faced as we approached $740/$810 (bitstamp/mtgox). this it corresponds with a decision point where the market either breaks up out of the pattern or fails to overcome the resistance and reverses.

AS it stands, we need a high-volume, rapid recovery to maintain this trend from $600. if this occurs, we will break through the resistance at $740/$820 (bitstamp/mtgox). if we see no such thing, the major 1-month moving support will be violated and the picture will turn bearish. the incredible volume at the previous 1-month low is enough to cement it in the mid-term, so we should see mid-term prices no lower than $600 even in the bearish scenario.

--arepo

I work diligently in my analysis, and share it with you as I can. If you learn from me, help keep it free!
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz

*post edited for clarity

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:07:40 AM

Do you really believe this stuff?  I think you'd be much better off focusing on psychology and world events w.r.t. Bitcoin prices.  I guess I'm just a TA atheist.  If it does work to a limited degree, I think it's probably because there are like minded traders who see the classic patterns and trade accordingly.  A self-fulfilling prophecy is born .. and then trashed when the real world (whales, news, etc) comes barging in.
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:34:18 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 10:36:14 PM by arepo

Do you really believe this stuff?  I think you'd be much better off focusing on psychology and world events w.r.t. Bitcoin prices.  I guess I'm just a TA atheist.  If it does work to a limited degree, I think it's probably because there are like minded traders who see the classic patterns and trade accordingly.  A self-fulfilling prophecy is born .. and then trashed when the real world (whales, news, etc) comes barging in.

the main problem with trading on 'real-world events' and fundamentals is that it is nearly impossible to determine in a quantifiable way exactly how, and when, these things will affect price.

the beauty of technical analysis is that these indicators are well-tested and calibrated in an attempt to find the underlying trends in the noise of price data. oscillators are surprisingly good at this. take a look at the following, and maybe i can help instill some doubts in your atheistic stance:

===

http://s7.postimg.org/4usdnqdgr/beautiful.png

===

i haven't drawn in the line, but do you see how well the "ascending triangle" formation in the oscillator tracks the lifespan of the rally?

and perhaps my pictures alone won't sway you. i do have a few things to say in defense of technical analysis, as it is fairly often dismissed around these parts for most of the years i've frequented the forums.

psychology: market psychology and recurrent patterns in price data are one and the same. the main goal technical analysis is to find consistent patterns in data, often which correspond to irrational behavior of market participants like fear and greed, and exploit these patterns. the "ascending triangle" formation in oscillators is an extremely robust pattern for almost every major trend in bitcoin price, and in fact helped me and my subscribers anticipate and track a nearly identical situation back in April, thereby profiting quite nicely, indeed.

like-minded traders: i hear this one an awful lot. many people seem to believe that the only way TA would work, at all, is via a self-fulfilling prophecy where a bloc of traders responding to the same signals cause the price to follow the patterns they believe that they see. however, in reality, exploiting patterns tends to have a confounding effect on the patterns themselves, in a similar manner to how arbitraging helps correct the market inefficiencies which the practice itself exploits. furthermore, the "like-minded trader hypothesis" assumes that TA-practicing speculators make up most of the volume of market activity, which i highly doubt.

whales and black swan events: this one is the most serious point you bring up. TA fails completely in factoring in the effect of sudden events which have the potential to significantly affect the price. this is mitigated, however, by the fact that very often these factors either amplify or mitigate existing trends and market psychology, as opposed to completely invalidating them. also, the process of pricing-in of new information is generally much more gradual than many traders anticipate (e.g. no price doubling when block reward halves). as for whales, it is safe to assume that large holders mostly consist of "smart money" which tends not to disrupt trends, but rather follow them. in other words, the market, by design, provides a profit incentive for participants not to violate the underlying  mechanisms which allow TA to work.

as for a note on the empirical status of this kind of work, my best efforts have been creating a set of frames of interpretation which maximizes the "agreement" between the data of the various indicators. this comes from the idea that scientific deductions must be able to be determined independently from the data, as in how both the chemistry of the soil of the earth and the properties of gravitational fields simultaneously predict the same theory of planetary formation. i have attempted to demonstrate this property of my work in the excerpt above, demonstrating how the interpretations of the various data encourage the same conclusions. and i can assure you that these interpretations are not ad hoc in order to achieve this illusion, but rather are methods i have used and profited from for more than two years, now. there is no better test than trading with a system Wink

i hope i have better explained why i believe that the methods in the OP are sound.

--arepo

*post edited for clarity

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:06:21 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 10:38:44 PM by arepo

quick update:

http://s22.postimg.org/lf7f3g62p/pennant.png

white pennant would be bearish. we need to break up out of this formation above $724 in order to maintain the mid-term support outlined in the OP.

--arepo

Voodah

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:15:52 AM

Always interesting reading different analysis.
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 03:41:11 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 10:39:10 PM by arepo

update:

http://s22.postimg.org/lf7f3g62p/pennant.png

white pennant would be bearish. we need to break up out of this formation above $724 in order to maintain the mid-term support outlined in the OP.

having witnessed a decisive upwards breakout, we are on-track to break through the $740/$810 (bitstamp/mtgox) resistance in the short-term, with last night's slide cementing a new bottom.

--arepo

arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:47:26 AM

1-month 2-hour scale @ BITSTAMP

===

Accumulation/Distribution reveals an extremely bullish consolidation behind the sideways movement we've been seeing. the mid-term trend should carry us up towards the next major resistance at $800, but no higher, in the coming week.

--arepo

shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:06:22 AM

thank you arepo.

your analysis is of great value to me, and I appreciate that you share your work freely.

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:24:50 PM

thank you arepo.

your analysis is of great value to me, and I appreciate that you share your work freely.

thank you. your feedback is what motivates me Smiley i will be continuing to comment on market conditions on the forums, posting some analysis from time to time, and am currently compiling a mid-term price report which should be up for sale in the coming weeks.

is anyone else having issues with the images in this thread? there are a few error messages displayed instead of the images even though the links are correct (will load the image if pasted directly into a web browser). Huh

--arepo

Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:27:05 PM

All pics work for me.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 08:26:46 PM

thank you arepo.

thank you. your feedback is what motivates me Smiley i will be continuing to comment on market conditions on the forums, posting some analysis from time to time, and am currently compiling a mid-term price report which should be up for sale in the coming weeks.

is anyone else having issues with the images in this thread? there are a few error messages displayed instead of the images even though the links are correct (will load the image if pasted directly into a web browser). Huh

--arepo

all good for me.

Good stuff btw  Wink

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
I_bitcoin

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 08:29:53 PM

thank you arepo.

--arepo

Several of your images do not work for me.   Funny thing is that they started off working IIRC.

No matter where you go, there you are.
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:06:46 PM

thank you arepo.

--arepo

seems that bitcointalk image proxy is having issues w/ them on my end... keep getting "invalid image" error
arepo (OP)

this statement is false

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:33:54 PM

seems that bitcointalk image proxy is having issues w/ them on my end... keep getting "invalid image" error

thanks for the confirmation. would a mod mind helping me out in correcting this issue? since the predictions are a half-week old or so, and the pattern that was forecast is now complete, it's not anything urgent, but i would like to know how to avoid this in the future. i also would like to keep this thread intact as documentation of my methods for future reference on these forums.

that being said, i am quite pleased with the accuracy of the model i presented, and i hope it helped others anticipate this rally and the resistance at $800.

and, as always, if you profit from me, help keep it free! Wink

--arepo

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: