Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:59:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 🔥 MUST READ: Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency Scams to Watch out for  (Read 350 times)
cryptosec.info (OP)

Activity: 138
Merit: 74

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2018, 07:05:36 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2018, 03:20:07 AM by cryptosec.info
Merited by DdmrDdmr (3), Welsh (2), odolvlobo (1), jseverson (1), wiser (1)

🔒
Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency Scams to Watch out for
published by [cryptosec.info]

unfortunately I'm currently not allowed to post images, so I provided screenshot links instead. Will edit this post with the proper img tags once I get enough merits for "member" rank.
Thanks for the merits ladies and gents!

Online Scams has been around since the world wide web started, and a few years ago it looks like scammers has found another industry to make money off– the cryptocurrency space. The cryptocurrency space is infested with scams due to it’s pseudo anonymous nature, allowing scammers to get away with huge heists with little to no trace.

The best way to not get affected by these scams is simply to educate yourself and be extremely cautious in everything you click online. Here are some of the common scams that are being used in the cryptocurrency space.

Phishing sites

Phishing sites are scams sites that are masquerading as certain legitimate websites like social media sites, online banking sites, exchange sites, wallet sites, etc. Most of these phishing sites even looks exactly like the website they’re pretending to be.

So how do they work? Phishing sites mostly appear on Google or other search engine’s ads. You do a Google search on “Binance“, and so if you don’t use an Google ad blocker, then Google the top result would be an advertisement.

It clearly says “www.binance.com” on the advertised link, but when you actually click the link and look at your browser’s address bar, there’s a good chance that it’s going to say something like “binanceus.com“, binancesite.co“, something along those lines that isn’t the legitimate “binance.com“.

Some scammers are even smart, as they use domains like “biṇaṇce.com“.

You might haven’t noticed, but it’s actually an ““, a latin character(an “n” with a dot below it). Always keep your eyes peeled. Take note that this doesn’t only occur on exchanges. These scams exist for Facebook, Coinbase, MyEtherWallet, etc. Also, these scams doesn’t only exist on search engine ads. They could also be spread in the form of emails; scammers may email you something along the lines of: “Your account has been locked due to suspicious activity. Click on the link below to unlock your account“; and the link they’ve listed would actually be a phishing link.

Tips to not get phished:

[1] always do a double or triple check on your browser’s address bar and confirm if you’re actually on the legitimate website
[2] install an ad blocker on your browser
[3] make sure the site you’re navigating to has a green “secure” tag on the address bar. Though a secure tag doesn’t automatically mean the website is legit.

Twitter Giveaway Scams

This should be a very obvious scam, but we’d just included this anyway due to people still falling for this scam for some reason.

This type of scam is pretty straightforward. The scammer would make a fake a Twitter account masquerading as a famous cryptocurrency or any technological personality, then the scammer would then reply on the legitimate person’s tweet, saying something along the lines of:
“I am donating 250 ETH! First 250 transactions with 0.2 ETH sent to the address below will receive 1 ETH in the address the 0.2 ETH came from.”

Don’t be delusional. No one would give out good amounts of money to strangers online.

Investment scams/Ponzi schemes

Investment scams has existed pretty much since forever. They ask you to deposit a certain amount of money(or crypto, in this case), and promise a amount in return every week, month, or year. Today, most of these scams mostly pretend to be “trading bots“, “cloud mining” sites, “bitcoin investment” sites, etc.

Yes, some people do make money off these sites, by using the site’s referral program. If you invite another person into the program and get the person to deposit money, you get a small percentage off the deposit. These scam sites mostly use referral programs to get people to spread these scams online for them; sometimes even to the point of YouTubers spreading them, causing a huge number of people to fall for these scams.

If you wanted to invest in the cryptocurrency market, buy the coins/tokens using reputable exchanges and hold them on your own secure wallet.

Some famous ponzi scams in the past:
[1] BitConnect
[2] DavorCoin
[3] HashOcean

Pump and Dumps
Pump and Dumps are pretty easy to spot, as pump and dump group leaders usually advertise them as “pump groups“, "free trading signals" or something along those lines. The scheme is pretty straightforward: The leader asks his/her members to buy a certain coin/token that is quite low in marketcap to make the price far easier to manipulate, claiming that it will raise or “pump” in price. Well the thing is, before the leader actually announces the coin/token, the leader already loaded up his/her bags with that certain coin/token, so he/she can sell them in a significantly higher price. Earning the leader significant amounts of profit.
How do you not fall into these schemes? Easy. Simply don’t join these groups.

Scam ICOs

Initial Coin Offerings or ICOs is quite similar to crowdfunding whereas the company/team accepts BTC/ETH from the people in exchange for a certain amount of their coins/tokens, depending on how much you sent them.

ICOs aren’t really scams as some are definitely legitimate, but a good percentage of ICOs are indeed scams. The thing is, some well-made ICO scams are quite hard to detect as a scammer could create a legitimate well-thought project and simply just not deliver and run away with the money. Though there are some scam ICO characteristics that could be enough proof for you to stay away from certain ICOs.

More will be added to the list in the future.

Disclaimer: CryptoSec.info is a website made to help beginners in the cryptocurrency-space by giving them sufficient knowledge on protecting their crypto investments, and learn about the risks they’re taking when using certain wallets and or services.

Related articles:

NotYourKeys.org - Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin.
-----
Join the Bitcointalk movement: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5292109

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 07:47:30 AM

I would add scam emails/PMs under phishing sites. They often come from seemingly official email accounts, say there's a problem with your account somewhere, and ask you to click a seemingly legitimate link to log in, only to direct you to a phishing site. They're not as common as the typical attacks, and often not sophisticated enough to be believable, but I thought they're still worth mentioning.

cryptosec.info (OP)

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2018, 10:59:28 AM

I would add scam emails/PMs under phishing sites. They often come from seemingly official email accounts, say there's a problem with your account somewhere, and ask you to click a seemingly legitimate link to log in, only to direct you to a phishing site. They're not as common as the typical attacks, and often not sophisticated enough to be believable, but I thought they're still worth mentioning.

Thanks for heads up. I mentioned emails on our site but for some reason missed the copy-paste on that part.

-----
tigerkings

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 12:29:39 AM

Hi. When are you planning on adding more to the list?
ghosterz

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 12:40:59 AM

Who can help me contact admin. I have just been ripped by this vendor https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1999963.80

I believe that admins are aware of this adverts here on this site?
cryptosec.info (OP)

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2018, 06:01:20 AM

Hi. When are you planning on adding more to the list?

If I have time. I'm currently on a trip.

-----
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 04:32:27 PM

That's a great OP. It's crazy how scams can be categorized as when it comes right down to it, they're all basically the same.

On the scam ICO topic, it's important to note that many ICO projects started by sincere and honest people also fail due to lack of resources of various kinds making them unable to ultimately deliver. You have to really know some financial terms and concepts in order to properly conduct due diligence on such projects. You can find lots of information at https://dnotesedu.com/

This op-ed article contains some interesting statistics about ICOs: https://dcebrief.com/op-ed-icos-are-damaging-crypto/
Rexphyl

Activity: 64

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 04:39:02 PM

Thanks for the vital info.
cryptosec.info (OP)

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2018, 01:57:46 AM

That's a great OP. It's crazy how scams can be categorized as when it comes right down to it, they're all basically the same.

On the scam ICO topic, it's important to note that many ICO projects started by sincere and honest people also fail due to lack of resources of various kinds making them unable to ultimately deliver. You have to really know some financial terms and concepts in order to properly conduct due diligence on such projects. You can find lots of information at https://dnotesedu.com/

This op-ed article contains some interesting statistics about ICOs: https://dcebrief.com/op-ed-icos-are-damaging-crypto/

True. Some projects simply don't have enough funding. Those projects are probably a minority compared to the number of scams though. Thanks for the heads up. And thanks for the merit!

-----
scout5

Activity: 60

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 12:19:52 PM

I didn't know domains like "biṇaṇce.com" could be used. Thanks for the warning.
cryptosec.info (OP)

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2018, 01:15:07 AM

I didn't know domains like "biṇaṇce.com" could be used. Thanks for the warning.

You're welcome. Hackers and scammers can be really really creative and innovative when making their scams convincing.

-----
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 08:03:38 AM

You may also want to link this in case people don't believe that most ICOs are scams until they see actual figures lol. Perfect for that red text "a good percentage of ICOs are indeed scams":

https://www.investopedia.com/news/80-icos-are-scams-report/

Aaand you should have enough merits to be a member for those images now! Keep up the good work!

cryptosec.info (OP)

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2018, 01:52:25 PM

You may also want to link this in case people don't believe that most ICOs are scams until they see actual figures lol. Perfect for that red text "a good percentage of ICOs are indeed scams":
People probably still think it's still like lastyear, where pretty much majority of the ICOs turned into a profit.

Aaand you should have enough merits to be a member for those images now! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Now I'd have to wait til I have 60 activity  Roll Eyes l0l

-----
cryptosec.info (OP)

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 03:10:53 AM

Edited the post to add the IMG tags. Thanks for the merits!

-----
dangnghia2112

Activity: 8
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 04:35:20 AM
Merited by cryptosec.info (1)

You should adding SCAM Airdrop, too. Such as: DENTACOIN, or nearly GXS.  That's not meaning that coin is scam. Just someone make scam airdrop base on existing coin:
- Firstly, they collect ETH address and private informations (that's is usual as other airdrops)
- Secondly, they call for donation for airdrop, not small as gas fee, they call for big donation, may be 1, 5 Eth or more for bonuses.
- Thirdly, they cheat some chickens by call them to give wallet's private key for examining that you owning that address or not
- And more...
cryptosec.info (OP)

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 11:55:18 AM

You should adding SCAM Airdrop, too. Such as: DENTACOIN, or nearly GXS.  That's not meaning that coin is scam. Just someone make scam airdrop base on existing coin:
- Firstly, they collect ETH address and private informations (that's is usual as other airdrops)
- Secondly, they call for donation for airdrop, not small as gas fee, they call for big donation, may be 1, 5 Eth or more for bonuses.
- Thirdly, they cheat some chickens by call them to give wallet's private key for examining that you owning that address or not
- And more...

Though a big percentage of airdrops are scams to start with, I agree. I'll add airdrops to the list soon. Thanks for the heads up!

-----
cryptosec.info (OP)

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2018, 03:03:20 AM

I probably will never figure it out.

You're really likely to not figure it out if you don't educate yourself.

-----
Derizo

Activity: 135

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 02:24:54 PM

Scamming is a major issue in the world of cryptocurrency. They are the dirty fish in the pond. My advise for people is to check the company before investing in them. Check their development team and do background research before forking out your cash.
cryptosec.info (OP)

NotYourKeys.Org

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2018, 10:35:16 AM

Scamming is a major issue in the world of cryptocurrency. They are the dirty fish in the pond. My advise for people is to check the company before investing in them. Check their development team and do background research before forking out your cash.

As there's so much scam ICOs out there, right now I'd just simply suggest to NOT invest in ICOs. I'd personally just invest in the top reputable coins instead.

-----
Benezim

Activity: 420
Merit: 142

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2018, 12:41:34 PM

Education is the safest bet to not get scammed. Crypto is, after all, a complex topic.

Some scam coins/airdrops ask for private keys, if you don’t understand the difference between public / private key, you are easily relieved of your coins.

New exchanges / mining pools can also be dangerous. They may look legit and still run off with your coins.

Crypto is still Wild West. No central authority to help you out. By design. Careful out there
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: