Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:53:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Anyone Explain This...?  (Read 1672 times)
TribalBob (OP)

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:00:44 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2014, 05:07:17 PM by TribalBob

^--- Actual desktop screenshot

System specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+
Gigabyte HD 5870 Super OC
4 GB PC-4200 Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
650 Watt Antec TruePower Trio TP3-650

Some background info:

The problem comes and goes.

If I load the default windows graphics driver, the problem goes away, if I load AMD drivers, the problem instantly returns.

If I use 16-bit color the problem goes away, if I use 32-bit color the problem instantly returns.

The diagonal line down the center tends to happen in each individual window that is open.

The problem seems to be aggravated by layering and moving windows.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, thanks for any and all feedback...

***1/13/2014 EDIT: NEW INFO***
I was looking through task manager when I noticed that my "System" process was consistently using 50% cpu, Process Explorer pointed to atikmdag.sys as being at fault.

I removed and re-installed the amd catalyst suite again, the problem persisted. At this point I was getting pretty frustrated and there was nothing on this pc that is irrecoverable anyway, so I did a clean re-install of the Windows 7 OS.

Starting with a brand new windows installation, I installed amd catalyst software suite again. Again, Process Explorer reports atikmdag.sys as using 50% cpu.

Upon looking online I saw multiple places that said atikmdag.sys errors can persist even after a clean windows re-install and the way to fix was by re-naming the current atikmdag.sys and manually extracting a new copy from atikmdag.sy_ from the AMD installation directory.

So, I renamed my current version of "atikmdag.sys" copied over an expanded version of "atikmdag.sy_" from the original install directory, restarted and "atikmdag.sys" is still using 50% cpu which leads me to believe it may be a .DLL issue which is causing atikmdag.sys to use 50% cpu. I am not really sure what to do from this point though as I don't which DLL is causing the issue or how to figure out which DLL is causing the issue or if the problem may be something besides a DLL issue...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:09:03 PM

I don't understand the question... Huh

I just see a screenshot of a Google Chrome window on some page with wall papers...  are you talking about the images in Chrome being blotchy?  Does every site look like that or just that one?   I don't see the "diagonal line down the center" that you are talking about...

TribalBob (OP)

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:15:25 PM

I don't understand the question... Huh

I just see a screenshot of a Google Chrome window on some page with wall papers...  are you talking about the images in Chrome being blotchy?  Does every site look like that or just that one?   I don't see the "diagonal line down the center" that you are talking about...

The picture that you are looking at is exactly how my desktop looks, not just on that page and not just i the browser. I just brought that image up in the browser as a display image to show what my video output looks like.

If you look from the top right diagonally down through the center to the bottom left just above the taskbar there is a "line" where the two halves of the desktop/browser image do not line up.

Since I am able to actually screen-capture the faulty video output, my suspicions are that there is something wrong with either the drivers, my video card or my power supply. I was hoping someone out there may have had a similar experience and would possibly be able to identify the problem.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 06:21:56 PM

Clear browser cache i recommend using ccleaner software. If it does not help come we look further.
Damnsammit

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:25:41 PM

Is it only when in a browser?  If so, have you tried other browsers?

The reason I ask is that I noticed the diagonal line, but only inside of the Chrome broswer.  If it was your video card, then the whole video output should be distorted, including the window itself (red X should be distorted), and the taskbar.  I don't see any distortion except in the Chrome window itself. 
TribalBob (OP)

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:26:16 PM

Clear browser cache i recommend using ccleaner software. If it does not help come we look further.

It's definitely not the browser cache because the problem happens on my desktop, in games, etc... Like I said, I just brought that image up in the browser window... But I will give it a try anyways and see what happens...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Damnsammit

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:31:54 PM

It's definitely not the browser cache because the problem happens on my desktop, in games, etc... Like I said, I just brought that image up in the browser window... But I will give it a try anyways and see what happens...

Very strange that it doesn't happen all the way across the screen.  Are you using a pirated version of Windows?  Might try a fresh install and see if that clears it up... I know that is not a fun thing to do, but it doesn't seem like it's a GPU issue.

I had a GPU that did something similar to that, but it took over the whole screen and distorted the colors along the line as well.  Have you changed graphics cards recently?
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:41:37 PM

Couple of questions on this:
Did this problem just start happening? Have you recently switched GPUs?
What's the current AMD driver version you're using? Are there any updates for it?

Based on the image, it looks like the GPU is mis-rendering the video output, which could mean a driver issue (especially if you changed GPUs).
Never hurts to check: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

TribalBob (OP)

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:43:03 PM

Very strange that it doesn't happen all the way across the screen.  Are you using a pirated version of Windows?  Might try a fresh install and see if that clears it up... I know that is not a fun thing to do, but it doesn't seem like it's a GPU issue.

I had a GPU that did something similar to that, but it took over the whole screen and distorted the colors along the line as well.  Have you changed graphics cards recently?

The taskbar messes up too, usually worse than the desktop, the taskbar tends to start with that same diagonal line from top-right to bottom-left and the images in the taskbar begin tearing towards the diagonal line.

I have not switched graphics card recently, I am also inclined to believe it is not a GPU issue as when I removed my GPU and replaced it with my older and known to be working Nvidia 9800 GT OC it has issues as well, but only after installing the nvidia drivers, when using the default windows drivers, everything seems to work fine.

To be honest, not sure about this copy of Windows as I got the computer from a friend...

Ok, used ccleaner on my internet files and on my registry, the issue persists...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
TribalBob (OP)

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:46:31 PM

Couple of questions on this:
Did this problem just start happening? Have you recently switched GPUs?
What's the current AMD driver version you're using? Are there any updates for it?

Based on the image, it looks like the GPU is mis-rendering the video output, which could mean a driver issue (especially if you changed GPUs).
Never hurts to check: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

This problem started happening a month or two ago completely out of nowhere. The problem comes and goes entirely at random.

I have not recently switched GPU's.

I am using Catalyst Install Manager Version 8.0.915.0 and I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers multiple times using the recommended driver-sweeper in safe mode method, still no change.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Damnsammit

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:51:49 PM

I say format your computer and do a fresh install...

I've had GPU issues with mining before that I could not fix with driver sweeper and the fresh install always cleared them up right away.  Although a fresh install is much more convenient on a mining rig than a computer that you actually use.
TribalBob (OP)

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:57:22 PM

I say format your computer and do a fresh install...

I've had GPU issues with mining before that I could not fix with driver sweeper and the fresh install always cleared them up right away.  Although a fresh install is much more convenient on a mining rig than a computer that you actually use.

I will give that a try as a last resort, I don't have anything really important on this box, but I'm gonna wait a little bit and see if anyone else has any other suggestions first... Hopefully it won't come to that, lol...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:58:05 PM

I am using Catalyst Install Manager Version 8.0.915.0 and I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers multiple times using the recommended driver-sweeper in safe mode method, still no change.

That's a bit old actually, since they're on v13.12 now. It may be worth an update to see if anything changes.

TribalBob (OP)

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:00:44 PM

That's a bit old actually, since they're on v13.12 now. It may be worth an update to see if anything changes.

K, giving that a try now...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
TribalBob (OP)

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:28:55 PM

Ok, I have installed Version 13.12 and for the moment things seem to be fixed.

Also, "Programs and Features" and the Catalyst Install manager for version 13.12 both display that they are Catalyst Install Manager version 8.0.915.0.

I assume the Catalyst Install Manager and the actual CCC versions have different numbers, so I think I was already running the latest version, but perhaps my drivers were corrupted in some way and the combination of ccleaner and the re-install may have done the trick...

Hopefully the problem does not return *crosses fingers*

Thank you all for your help, will report back and follow-up on whether the problem returns or not.

***EDIT***
The problem has returned  -_-;

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1038

Death to enemies!

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:38:21 PM

Problem most likely is caused by unstable or damaged video card. Windows default drivers don't use specific acceleration features of card that might be malfunctioning. Also the 16-bit colors also might be OK. Try to lower overclocking to default HD5870 speeds, it might solve the problem or make it less severe. But most likely the GPU chip is damaged and the whole card need to be replaced.

The computer also freezes (stops responding) at random times or when doing graphic intensive works or switching between modes?

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Damnsammit

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:39:54 PM

Problem most likely is caused by unstable or damaged video card. Windows default drivers don't use specific acceleration features of card that might be malfunctioning. So the 16-bit colors also might be OK. Try to lower overclocking to default HD5870 speeds, it might solve the problem or make it less severe. Bt most likely he GPU chip is damaged and the whole card need to be replaced.

He stated earlier that he swapped out the GPU with an NVIDIA card and the problem was still there.

I don't think this would solve anything, but it is worth a shot.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:46:58 PM

Problem most likely is caused by unstable or damaged video card. Windows default drivers don't use specific acceleration features of card that might be malfunctioning. So the 16-bit colors also might be OK. Try to lower overclocking to default HD5870 speeds, it might solve the problem or make it less severe. Bt most likely he GPU chip is damaged and the whole card need to be replaced.

He stated earlier that he swapped out the GPU with an NVIDIA card and the problem was still there.

I don't think this would solve anything, but it is worth a shot.

I skipped the post accidentally. Well then he should call the repairman to get everything fixed. He already screwed everything up by using safe mode and driver sweeper. As I know both ATI and NVIDIA drivers install and uninstall properly under normal mode. All those sweepers and cleaners do is fuck up the system so the divers might not install or work properly next time. Best is to find the drivers that work best with your card and are made in the same time when card was made. And stick to this one version unless something is broken and Changelog suggests that the new version is a solution.

Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:37:24 PM

Problem most likely is caused by unstable or damaged video card. Windows default drivers don't use specific acceleration features of card that might be malfunctioning. Also the 16-bit colors also might be OK. Try to lower overclocking to default HD5870 speeds, it might solve the problem or make it less severe.

This was my next suggestion. Under the Catalyst Control Center >> Performance >> AMD OverDrive settings, you should be able to manually underclock the GPU. Start off with a little bit at a time to see if things get better.
Another thing to note is dust accumulation. A build up leads to overheating, and with an already overclocked card that could pose a problem.

Following up to this, one thing that wasn't mentioned was whether or not all GPU drivers were removed prior to the card being swapped. Having multiple driver conflicts can be a hell of a headache with surprising results.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 02:05:53 PM

Both Windows XP and Win7 usually have no problems with drivers when swapping video cards. Windows recognizes the devices and uses appropriate drivers. Unless the OS is modified by some 3rd party "optimizer" or some other shit. You don't have conflicts between WiFi and Ethernet drivers, why video drivers are different?

Very likely a hardware or OS problem. Did You reinstalled Windows from original DVD?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: