Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:19:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING, WALLET STEALER!!!  (Read 4531 times)
meee (OP)

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:17:30 PM

Thanks for the warning, the Same guy is at the Litecoin forums trying to steal wallets. I've warned the Litecoin community.

Good work, thanks for helping to spread the message, about all we can do. Sad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
meech73

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:24:37 PM

Running any third party software that involves your wallet is STUPID, no other word for it.

If you are ignorant enough to use 3rd party software involving your wallet, you DESERVE to be ripped off.

~BCX~

I never understood why people blame the victim. Grow some empathy for fuck sake.
KingGoon

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:29:09 PM

Running any third party software that involves your wallet is STUPID, no other word for it.

If you are ignorant enough to use 3rd party software involving your wallet, you DESERVE to be ripped off.

~BCX~

I never understood why people blame the victim. Grow some empathy for fuck sake.

some think because it doesnt get flagged by anti virus its safe  Huh

So Icy E-Money - Frozentalk.org FD1GwdBjTeMPFdZD5v3cVRG7ZoPJBAuLrf
All these girls excited ,Oooo ya know they like it ,Frozen so icy, so icy ,Haters don't try to fight it ,All yo friends invited ,Frozen so icy, so icy!!
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:38:10 PM

Yeah I think you're dead right it is a tough one... I wonder too if there is a happy medium, I reckon it is probably not possible because really anything connected to the internet is a risk. It looks like if you are storing coins cold storage is the best bet and then maybe have some in your normal wallet to play around with.

I think I will get to work on making a cold storage thread on my forum. Do you know if armory id available for other coins or is it just BTC?

I don't think Armory is available for any altcoins, just Bitcoin.

Thread with a little discussion on it from the developer of Armory:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187835.0

MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:40:37 PM

~BCX~

Until it happens to them, then they cry bloody murder.
maursader

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 07:42:23 PM

So there you have it folks. Use a brainwallet next time. Or, a trusted exchange with 2FA.
cottonpaper

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:30:22 PM

Is there any precaution to avoid this malware?

Yep.

Scan whatever you download if it has not been verified clean by other members of the forum here.
Edit2: Here's a link for individual file online virus scanning: https://www.virustotal.com/ for that purpose.

how to use virustotal.com to scan a wallet before you download?  do you have to download it first and then scan?
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:42:53 PM

Is there any precaution to avoid this malware?

Yep.

Scan whatever you download if it has not been verified clean by other members of the forum here.
Edit2: Here's a link for individual file online virus scanning: https://www.virustotal.com/ for that purpose.

how to use virustotal.com to scan a wallet before you download?  do you have to download it first and then scan?

I DL the object in a win7 VM and scan it there. No need to open it, just scan the entire thing. 

That way, if it indeed is a virus it only blows up the VM.  I just restore the VM to the clean image.
xnu

Activity: 24

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 06:28:39 AM

Feel so bad about this and don't really know if we can do anything. Is there? Can we do anything?

You should write to police if they have department which research sybercrimes. Usually they should have. They can find this man, but process is comlicated here.
Revelations86

Activity: 428
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 06:46:55 AM

Sorry to hear about the loss.  Sad   I'm sure with the advent of crypto currency, we'll probably have some form of a global Crypto police out there in a matter of years. 
Zisef

Activity: 118

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 07:36:13 AM

Oh boy, why would he do such a thing. He was just fishing for newbs :/ Sorry about your luck.
ethought
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 08:11:24 AM

I highly suspect this guy is using a keylogger.

So once you do anything with your wallet and type in your password he has it. Then he downloads your wallet and has the encryption password - end of story.
KingGoon

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:13:21 AM

I highly suspect this guy is using a keylogger.

So once you do anything with your wallet and type in your password he has it. Then he downloads your wallet and has the encryption password - end of story.

site:bshades.eu "All4coins"  Huh
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Abshades.eu+%22All4coins%22

So Icy E-Money - Frozentalk.org FD1GwdBjTeMPFdZD5v3cVRG7ZoPJBAuLrf
All these girls excited ,Oooo ya know they like it ,Frozen so icy, so icy ,Haters don't try to fight it ,All yo friends invited ,Frozen so icy, so icy!!
cof

Activity: 21

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:20:29 AM

winning negative money is fun. doge doge!
Artlover

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:57:26 AM

~BCX~
Until it happens to them, then they cry bloody murder.
Except it won't happen to them, because they have common sense.

It wasn't a mistake on the users part, it's not a clever con by the scammer; it's people just being ignorant.

Your digital wallet is the same as the physical wallet in your pocket. Your wallet address is the same as your bank account number.

Why and how on earth could anyone even begin to think that it would be safe to run a 3rd party program from someone you don't know on your computer that requires that sensitive information? I mean, really, if someone released a chat client that required you to enter your bank account #, would you do it? If you would, you're dumb as a sack of rocks. This is exactly the same thing. Unknown unofficial 3rd party software + wallet address = SCAM. No ifs, ands, buts or exceptions about it.

The only thing you run on your computer regarding your wallet IS your wallet. That is it, nothing else. Except maybe an auto-trade script, and that is ONLY if you write the script yourself.

Its seriously pretty darn sad that this needs to be explained to people at all. Makes me wonder what else needs to be explained to some people. Don't wash your eyes with bleach. Don't take a nap in the middle of an intersection. Don't lick an electrical outlet. Don't buy a Rollexx for $50 from that guy out of his trunk. Your welcome!  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

I don't even understand what the interest in this was anyways. Like there aren't enough legitimate chat clients out there that everyone can use safely for free that don't require such information.

It's called personal responsibility.

~BCX~
Exactly. When someone chooses to fore go common sense and do something that is very dumb, anything that happens ultimately becomes their responsibility.
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:59:57 AM

wait

that wasn't the Wallet Inspector!

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: