Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:58:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Congratulations CANADIANS, now your bitcoin is the most EXPENSIVE in the world.  (Read 2496 times)
maursader (OP)

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:02:35 PM

Screenshot taken at 3:00 pm EST in Toronto:

Congrats Canucks. You made it.

battlescars

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:04:14 PM

Yes, this is because of all the ATMS placed in vancuver and other major cities, it will only continue to expand, we should becareful though.
More business are also on the rise and more shops are opening that accept bitcoins there. This isnt just happening in canada, is happening
everywhere around he world basically.

maursader (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:06:20 PM

Yes, this is because of all the ATMS placed in vancuver and other major cities, it will only continue to expand, we should becareful though.
More business are also on the rise and more shops are opening that accept bitcoins there. This isnt just happening in canada, is happening

I just think it's hilarious for a country with a population below 36,000,000.. can manage to pull that off. Proud to be Canadian.

But yeah, we do have a significant amount of services that accept BTC here.
battlescars

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:13:26 PM

Yes you would think countries with a bigger population would be more interested and invested like the united states, canadian neighbours:D
I personally would think the aisan countries would be among the leaders but now that china has decided to ban bitcoin i guess canada ranks number one haha.

maursader (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:19:25 PM

Yes you would think countries with a bigger population would be more interested and invested like the united states, canadian neighbours:D
I personally would think the aisan countries would be among the leaders but now that china has decided to ban bitcoin i guess canada ranks number one haha.

I laughed when I read your response, then I thought, I must.. must throw this Homer Simpson quote in, because that sums up how I'm feeling right about now.
nodroids

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:51:21 PM

Thanks for quoting this, hopefully it'll bring more coin to our exchange so we the price will come down as I have a big buy to make.
maursader (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 09:01:07 PM

Thanks for quoting this, hopefully it'll bring more coin to our exchange so we the price will come down as I have a big buy to make.

I'd like to see that happen before new year strikes in north america.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 09:07:06 PM

I just think it's hilarious for a country with a population below 36,000,000.. can manage to pull that off. Proud to be Canadian.

You should be.  It also helps your government took a hands off approach when it came to Bitcoin specific regulation.  The actions of FinCEN and some states have increased the regulatory burden, and that makes innovation and growth slower and more difficult.
inbox

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 09:19:06 PM

How is it more expensive.

CAD != USD

780CAD ~ 733USD

Maybe if you take into consideration cavirtex outrageous fees.  Wink

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 09:24:09 PM

Are there more robocoin ATMs installed in Canada other than the one at Vancouver?

BitcoinSteve

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:12:32 PM

us=$763 and rising.

DRK: XtijFQdCcPpKXmtjKF4xdpy6vCvJTymfzw

BTC: 1LbPHiUfegA3Xjfg4YJkJqLNpaRWDcRPay
Hagbard

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:25:36 PM

It says right there on the screenshot that the global average is about $5 CAN higher than the price in Canada... So it's cheaper in Canada than the average value Smiley
theecoinomist

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:36:19 PM

plot twist: canadian $ and us $ are not the same

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 11:54:04 PM

plot twist: canadian $ and us $ are not the same

Indeed, so the gap is not that significant once the conversion plus fee is added in. Still there is a premium when purchasing in CAD despite this.

smoothrunnings

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:26:23 AM

Screenshot taken at 3:00 pm EST in Toronto:

Congrats Canucks. You made it.

MtGox has the highest CAD price in bitcoin usually. It shows as being $875 right now.
stretchwynand

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 01:44:20 AM

Are there more robocoin ATMs installed in Canada other than the one at Vancouver?

Not yet, but we're installing 4 more across Canada in the next two months, and we've just launched our new online exchange www.cointrader.net.

--
Jackson Warren
Co-founder
Bitcoiniacs - The Bitcoin Store
www.bitcoiniacs.com
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 02:38:01 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 02:50:58 AM by ArticMine

Here is a snapshot of prices

MTGox: 819 USD
Bitstamp: 749.15 USD
BTC-E: 748 USD

VS:

Virtex 786 CAD or 738.8 USD
Cointrader 745 USD

Yes on occasion prices on Canadian exchanges are above world prices but for most of the time they are not. There is a very simple reason for this: It gets very cold in the winter in Canada and many Canadians use electricity at least in part to heat their homes. Now if one uses electricity for space heating the marginal cost of Bitcoin mining is zero. The bottom line is that Canada's cold winters will make Canada a net exporter of Bitcoins, thereby depressing the price of Bitcoins in Canada regardless of how popular the use of Bitcoin becomes in Canada.

By the way the exchange the comes close to the Canadian price is BTC-E for the very same reason. Russia and many of the CIS countries which are a primary market for BTC-E also have bitterly cold winters. I have been buying BTC on Canadian exchanges since 2011 below world prices because more often than not Canadian exchanges are overrun with polar bears.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
MrPalmer

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 02:44:22 AM

Not yet, but we're installing 4 more across Canada in the next two months, and we've just launched our new online exchange www.cointrader.net.

--
Jackson Warren
Co-founder
www.bitcoiniacs.com

That's good to know, Jack.  As a fellow Canuck, I'm very impressed by how BTC has been adopted up here.  Will be interesting to hear what ideas come out of the Expo in Toronto this spring!

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:13:20 AM

--
Jackson Warren
Co-founder
www.bitcoiniacs.com

Great news. Thanks for the info.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:26:31 AM

Really? Wow... then if Bitcoin ATMs are installed all over the world, then BTC can definitely cross $2,000. BTW... we can only buy BTCs with these ATMs, right? As far as I know, it is not possible to sell your BTCs through the ATM.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: