Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:36:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Andreas Antonopoulos: The Voice of the Bitcoin Community  (Read 2145 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:46:23 PM

Another outstanding podcast.   Andreas is the man.  That's all I can say.  Here we have a panel of Bitcoin startups whos biggest goal is to make money off Bitcoin, many of whom couldn't give a rats ass about selling out Bitcoin to Regulators.  And then we have Andreas Antonopoulos on the same panel:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlgP1C6Tet4

Skip to 9:15 - Andreas on needing "legitimacy" from the Govt for Bitcoin to succeed.
Skip to 24:45 - Andreas again on USA crackdown on Bitcoin.
Skip to 27:40 - Andreas:  what will happen if Bitcoin is squashed by Governments.
Skip to 36:15 - Andreas on the media's reporting on Bitcoin
Skip to 40:00 - Andreas on educating the public properly.

In order to understand the frustration in his tone, I encourage you to listen to the whole podcast and the comments made by the other panelists.  

What are your thoughts on this tug of war between entrepreneurs who Bitcoin (probably) needs in order to bring it "mainstream" .. but who welcome regulation because it means their business will make money... versus ... those who feel Bitcoin is a disruptive movement that should succeed irregardless of any "permission" or "legitimization" from corrupt institutions?

Once again, make sure you don't miss this video with Andreas:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9-lAYngi4

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Doublelucky

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 12:08:10 AM

Andreas is the man, he made me fall even more in love with Bitcoin and opened my eyes to a lot of angles I couldn't see

Thanks for the links!

I've always wondered if he had an account on this forum, anyone know?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 01:06:05 AM

Indeed a good speaker

forbun

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 02:03:23 AM

1. "Legitimacy" is misspelled in the video's visual. ("Ligitimacy" is incorrect)

2. I don't believe that regulation has not protected consumers. There are a lot of good consumer protection laws that do effectively make ordinary people's lives better in some ways. So although I like some of Andreas's other talks (especially his "Crash Course"), I cannot agree with his hard-line stance here. The existing financial system has plenty of crooks, but it is built on a foundation of value and much of the corruption is due to the lack of something like Bitcoin. So cryptocurrency has the potential to vastly improve the world while still maintaining the safety, ease-of-use, and security that comes from existing financial infrastructure.

What name would you give to the smallest unit of bitcoin (0.00000001)? sat. What name would you give to 100 sats? bit. 1 bit = 1 uBTC. 1,000,000 bits = 1 BTC. It's bits
lorix

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 02:18:20 AM

Having been an avid listener of "Lets Talk Bitcoin" I have an immense respect for Andreas and his efforts to better educate Bitcoin users new and old.

Unfortunately there is only so much that people from inside the Bitcoin community can do to gain mainstream attention, and while public speakers like Andreas speak clearly and make a lot of common sense the fact is that they have little to no public recognition outside of the community.

To the general public who pay more than cursory attention to Bitcoin I would argue their "Voice of Bitcoin" would be in the form of Max Keiser and similar figures. While I'm not going to comment on the suitability of the current speakers, we can agree that they are mostly niche players in the greater financial system and may not necessarily be recognized or appeal to members of the general public.

So the question here is who would be best to speak to the world about Bitcoin and it's virtues?

It should be someone already publicly recognized and respected. Someone with a brand of their own who wouldn't be afraid to take a chance and associate them with something that may seem unconventional. Someone whose involvement alone would help to inspire more to the cause and can see the potential of Bitcoin to chance the world.

I think Richard Branson may be the person we need.

He has already commented on the Bitcoin phenomenon and publicly confirmed he has invested in Bitcoin himself. See his post here: http://www.virgin.com.au/richard-branson/bitcoins-in-space

He is known as a risk-taker but not a reckless one, if he could be convinced to take a more active or even a leading role in the Bitcoin space and act as the public face and voice it could go a long way to bringing greater public support across to the cause.

Once again, I'm not taking away from Andreas and his ongoing contributions to the community. But perhaps we should look to someone like Richard Branson to be our doorman to the Bitcoin nightclub, beckoning the unfamiliar public to enter the doors and experience the wonders inside. It is once that they enter in that they can hear the music of DJ Andreas and learn to dance to the Bitcoin Beat.

Thoughts?

Proud family man, futurist and all-round Bitcoin fanatic! Smiley
1KBN5gTzX3ECSu9XHrsZJPsMn7vjT67ciF
mtnminer

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 02:38:04 AM

Thank you for sharing this link!  It is great, I love Crypto currencies!

Mtnminer
aantonop

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 06:43:03 PM

Andreas is the man, he made me fall even more in love with Bitcoin and opened my eyes to a lot of angles I couldn't see

Thanks for the links!

Yes, I have an account here, though I find the forum structure cumbersome and have not written here in a long time. Thank you for the support and kind words!

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
sebdude420

Activity: 397
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 07:37:49 PM

Andreas!! Whats up its Sebuh! Wish i got to see you again in Santa Monica. You are the best.

Here is another video guys if you haven't seen it. a bit more recent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTPQKyAq-DM

Total fanboy. .lol

OG Bitcoin Miner turned Proof of Stake Validator.
Maxed out Raspberry Pi 4 8GB at 120$ a Day Revenue with ~15K XTZ Bonds in Summer of 2021.
Looking at Proof of Stake systems all across the crypto ecosystem to expand operations.
lorix

Activity: 148

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:46:46 AM

Thanks for the links!

Yes, I have an account here, though I find the forum structure cumbersome and have not written here in a long time. Thank you for the support and kind words!

I like to think of Andreas as the Steve Irwin of Bitcoin - not afraid to tell it how it is but full of enthusiasm nonetheless!

Crikey!  Grin

Proud family man, futurist and all-round Bitcoin fanatic! Smiley
1KBN5gTzX3ECSu9XHrsZJPsMn7vjT67ciF
calian

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:00:52 AM

Andreas what's your take on Matthew Green's decision to start Zerocoin as an alt rather than try to reform Bitcoin? Is it too late for Bitcoin already? http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2014/01/13/bitcoin-anonymity-upgrade-zerocoin-to-become-its-own-cryptocurrency/
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 11:28:07 AM

I like him. Very well spoken. Is he even on this forum?

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:45:23 AM

Andreas what's your take on Matthew Green's decision to start Zerocoin as an alt rather than try to reform Bitcoin? Is it too late for Bitcoin already? http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2014/01/13/bitcoin-anonymity-upgrade-zerocoin-to-become-its-own-cryptocurrency/

I'm not Andreas, but I _did_ stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Smiley Actually, I talked quite extensively with Andreas at Bitcoin 2013 in San Jose. But that's another story.

I want to respond to the Zerocoin observation.

Back when Zerocoin was first announced, it seemed to me (<- note _seemed_) that Zerocoin would require a trip off the Bitcoin blockchain to a centralized zerocoin blockchain, and back again in order to reclaim value. The apparent centralized nature of the zerocoin system kept me from looking closer at it.

With this new announcement from the Zerocoin devs, it sounds as if I need to reset my expectations. I'll be reading...

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:00:29 AM

These highlights had me cheering "fuck yeah!" a couple of times. Thanks OP and thank you Andreas.

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 03:55:16 PM

I like him. Very well spoken. Is he even on this forum?

think so Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: