Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 02:15:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What can i place my miner on for now?  (Read 1104 times)
ibrahim11 (OP)

Activity: 777
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 10:21:00 PM

Hi, I ordered metal tubing to make my own open frame rig and that will come next week (6th jan). So for now what can i place my miner/mobo on? Could i place it on cardboard? Also, will it be fine for a 280x and 7950 connected directly to the mobo without risers? Thanks
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 11:01:42 PM

OP are you saying for cooling purposes where can you put your mobo for now, is it still functioning?
ibrahim11 (OP)

Activity: 777

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:27:13 AM

OP are you saying for cooling purposes where can you put your mobo for now, is it still functioning?

The mobo is coming on Friday.  I was asking where can I place the mobo and mine temporarily whilst I wait for the open frame parts to come.
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 02:03:28 AM

I suggest to look at this link, its very cheap and affordable to do, its a stand, but all you need is some little things from Home Depot or your local hardware store

http://lifehacker.com/5540014/diy-makeshift-motherboard-standoffs-from-nylon-tubing

Hope this helps you OP.
pletharoe

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:41:54 PM

Placing it on cardboard should be OK, but putting it on the anti-static bag which it shipped in would be better.
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 01:45:50 AM

Placing it on cardboard should be OK, but putting it on the anti-static bag which it shipped in would be better.

Do you want OP's mobo to be ghetto? lol.
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 02:33:47 AM

Never operate electronics on an anti-static surface. The "Anit-static" part of the surface is conductive. You may short-out your electronics. That is what makes it anit-static, the ability to allow electricity to ground-out and flow freely through the material.

I suggest an insulated material, like plastic, or at-least dry wood. (Milk crate, sheet of plywood, clean unrolled soda-bottle, even wax-paper is fine.) Not styrofoam which is static-generating, or anti-static plastic, which is semi-conductive.

Yes the cards are fine used without risers, as long as they are supported. They are too heavy to free-stand, and may crack the mobo or pull/stress the pci-e connections. For safety, use a ground-wire attached to one of the mobo-mounting-holes, going to the PSU, and also to each of the cards metal mounting brackets. (Though, honestly, there are enough ground connections through the ground-wires.)

You should be fine.
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:13:46 PM

Are you budgeting?
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:20:26 PM

Never place your motherboard on a conductive surface.  You may as well tell him to place it in the bottom of a bath and fill it with water.  Roll Eyes

OP, NEVER run a motherboard on an anti-static bag.  Cardboard is perfect.
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:23:30 PM

Never place your motherboard on a conductive surface.  You may as well tell him to place it in the bottom of a bath and fill it with water.  Roll Eyes

OP, NEVER run a motherboard on an anti-static bag.  Cardboard is perfect.

I place mine on a steel plate from my dads workshop, It runs perfectly with just 90% issues.
pletharoe

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:56:54 AM

Aha, I hadn't realized that anti static bags were conductive.  I've run machines on them before in order to isolate them from static charges!  You live and learn.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: