Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:44:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Wallet Won't Open  (Read 2491 times)
applelover (OP)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 04:28:11 AM
Last edit: January 01, 2014, 04:47:53 AM by applelover

My bitcoin wallet has been working fine for months, but it randomly stopped working now.  It seems to start loading, it says "Verifying blocks" for about 10 seconds, and then it closes down.  My wallet never fully opens.  I tried restarting the computer and the wallet still doesn't open.  

I am on linux with version of bitcoin-qt wallet .8.5.0.  What should I do? Please treat me as a novice that doesn't know how to do technical stuff.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 05:21:39 AM

My bitcoin wallet has been working fine for months, but it randomly stopped working now.  It seems to start loading, it says "Verifying blocks" for about 10 seconds, and then it closes down.  My wallet never fully opens.  I tried restarting the computer and the wallet still doesn't open.  

I am on linux with version of bitcoin-qt wallet .8.5.0.  What should I do? Please treat me as a novice that doesn't know how to do technical stuff.

Try upgrading to latest version of bitcoin-qt? Otherwise it could be a problem with the computer itself (hard disk etc), sounds like the blockchain could be corrupted on your hard drive.
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 05:45:21 AM

Its a Mac isnt it?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:45:14 AM

Its a Mac isnt it?

He already said Linux
AmericanBit

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:53:50 AM

Im not that computer savvy either...but my litecoin QT wallet wont open anymore, and i think there is a bounty out to fix this...like 15 bitcoins
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 12:29:54 PM

Im not that computer savvy either...but my litecoin QT wallet wont open anymore, and i think there is a bounty out to fix this...like 15 bitcoins

Yes, i remember that, I posted.
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 12:31:07 PM

You need to tell us everything that you have tried to do to open the file, because some of my suggestions might be things that you have already done.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 01:15:44 PM

You are not that computer savvy and there is a 15 bitcoin bounty to open it? Confused. Please explain more
applelover (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 05:11:51 PM

I just did all the linux upgrades and restarted the computer.  Some of the upgrades seemed to include bitcoin related stuff.  The wallet still has the same problem.  Says "verifying blocks" and then closes down.

All I've tried to get the wallet to work is just restarting the computer, installing linux updates and restarting the computer.  The next step is I'd probably save the wallet.dat backup file on a USB, then remove the entire bitcoin program, and download it again.  But if there is a less drastic solution, I'd like that!
applelover (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:00:52 AM

bump bump
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 01:34:47 AM

I just did all the linux upgrades and restarted the computer.  Some of the upgrades seemed to include bitcoin related stuff.  The wallet still has the same problem.  Says "verifying blocks" and then closes down.

All I've tried to get the wallet to work is just restarting the computer, installing linux updates and restarting the computer.  The next step is I'd probably save the wallet.dat backup file on a USB, then remove the entire bitcoin program, and download it again.  But if there is a less drastic solution, I'd like that!

Nothing should happen if you backup your wallet via a USB drive, and redownload Bitcoin qt.
applelover (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 03:32:20 AM

here is the crash report ubuntu gives

bitcoin-qt crashed with signal 7
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:06:33 AM

First backup your wallet.dat file again. Then you can try the following things:

- Download bitcoin-qt from the official repository and run that. There is no installation process. You just run the bitcoin-qt file from the bin sub-directory: http://bitcoin.org/en/download

- If the above fails it is most likely that your copy of the blockchain has become corrupted. So what you should do is delete everything save the wallet.dat file in the your /home/username/.bitcoin directory. Note it is a hidden directory with a name that starts with a dot.

Then run bitcoin-qt and it'll start downloading the blockchain all over again a process that can take days.

- Finally, your last option is to give up on bitcoin-qt entirely and migrate to another wallet. I recommend electrum. To import your private keys you can use a temporary blockchain.info wallet to import the keys and send all the coins to your new electrum address or you can use pywallet to extract the private keys and import them directly into electrum.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:25:54 AM

First backup your wallet.dat file again. Then you can try the following things:

- Download bitcoin-qt from the official repository and run that. There is no installation process. You just run the bitcoin-qt file from the bin sub-directory: http://bitcoin.org/en/download

- If the above fails it is most likely that your copy of the blockchain has become corrupted. So what you should do is delete everything save the wallet.dat file in the your /home/username/.bitcoin directory. Note it is a hidden directory with a name that starts with a dot.

Then run bitcoin-qt and it'll start downloading the blockchain all over again a process that can take days.

- Finally, your last option is to give up on bitcoin-qt entirely and migrate to another wallet. I recommend electrum. To import your private keys you can use a temporary blockchain.info wallet to import the keys and send all the coins to your new electrum address or you can use pywallet to extract the private keys and import them directly into electrum.

If you don't need to run bitcoin-qt, then I recommend moving to electrum using the method outlined by Abdussamad. It saves this kind of corruption problem and its not like the blockchain is getting smaller Wink
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:29:43 AM

Do you have any experience in source coding language OP?
applelover (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 03:40:40 PM

Here is what I did which I'll write here for future people who have a problem.

1)cd ~/.bitcoin

2)cp wallet.dat /home/dan/Desktop/backup_wallet.dat

3)sudo apt-get remove bitcoin-qt

4)rm -r ~/.bitcoin

5)sudo apt-get install bitcoin-qt

6)cd ~/.bitcoin

7)mv wallet.dat wallet_new.dat

8)cp /home/dan/Desktop/backup_wallet.dat ~/.bitcoin

9)mv backup_wallet.dat wallet.dat

10)bitcoin-qt
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:46:55 AM

Here is what I did which I'll write here for future people who have a problem.

1)cd ~/.bitcoin

2)cp wallet.dat /home/dan/Desktop/backup_wallet.dat

3)sudo apt-get remove bitcoin-qt

4)rm -r ~/.bitcoin

5)sudo apt-get install bitcoin-qt

6)cd ~/.bitcoin

7)mv wallet.dat wallet_new.dat

8)cp /home/dan/Desktop/backup_wallet.dat ~/.bitcoin

9)mv backup_wallet.dat wallet.dat

10)bitcoin-qt

Whoever said bitcoin wasn't for the masses Wink
Pages: [1]