Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 02:46:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chasing new alt coins or mine steady ones?  (Read 707 times)
epicjim (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:33:39 AM

Hello I started mining recently and I noticed there are a lot of new alt coins that launched and people try to mine them early for profits. But some of these altcoins do not even show up on exchanges.

For regular miners here; do you guys always chase new alt coins to mine or do you guys have steady alt coin mining going on with a more reputable alt coin?
SizeableSausage

Activity: 36

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:47:46 AM

Answers will vary on peoples goals of mining - If you would like a sustainable income then mine a more reputable coin, LTC or WDC as the price does not fluctuate as wildly as other new ALT coins.

If you're in for the pump and dump then ALT coins can be very profitable but the coin can always flop or never even make an exchange. If your pointing serious hashing power into a coin I think the majority will be mining a more "stable" coin.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:48:57 AM

Hi there,

My personal answer to you is I do both. But it's better if you have 2 systems running. One for the automated switch pools and one for the new coins. I believe that you are mining with GPU?

If so just divide your system, if you know how to configure a single system to divide the power to do both, it would be neat. But if you just got more than one setup, I encourage you to explore and do both.

At the moment, IMHO hashcows' got a good chance for the gpu miners in terms of highest profitable switch accuracy. - But they got a problem right now and the pool is struggling to patch things back to normal.

Also try to look for the not so new coins and look for the easiest one to mine even if the profitability % is not cloud 9, you can get more number of coins and hold them until it gets more value.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk, cryptocurrency has a lot of it, and this should be treated with extreme caution and only invest what you can afford to lose. E.g.: Buying mining equipment, buying coins, spending too much on coffee.

Just my BTC0.02

Happy New Year!  Cheesy
genba

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:49:56 AM

with only 150khash/s i've gone for easier coins like zeuscoin [hoping it ends up on cryptsy soon], as well as getting on multipool.us for some returns on a variety of coins already on exchanges. hoping i can grab a 280x at a good price, this 6750 just doesn't cut it. i'm also a pc gamer so a 280x wouldn't go to waste if i lose interest in mining cryptocoins.
yanara

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:54:35 AM

My preference is do both. Regularly mine steady coin(s), don't neglect to try with new coins. No one could find the nature of the coin.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 10:05:19 AM

If you can diversify then by all means, altcoins are certainly strange and it's hard to tell which ones will rise and which ones will fall but my tactic is to look at the ones that are getting regular updates and have a dev that communicates with the community. I'm actually surprised at how easy it can be to obtain these coins and I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed Tongue It is a high risk venture but considering how much you can get for so little I think it's worth it the majority of the time.

I think I'm going to trade altcoins more now just because they look so damn profitable, some of them at least >_<.
shinjikenny123

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:18:51 AM

mine new alt coins

Bitcoin: 1BosF3XmmAtmihnaDJyUHYqEXZGsBmYj53
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: