Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:00:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo mining no go: Any BC, cuda  (Read 1327 times)
catty56 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 02:20:37 AM

As others have mentioned, I tried older versions of bitcoin (.3.2.1) and the present one doesn't work either.  The old one would mine at half the rate, and usually had no connections.  The current version does NOTHING.  Click start, absolutely no change in anything whatsoever.  GUIMiner, being the miner.

Also, if mining for a pool, it will work normally until I stop, at which point starting again will work at half hash rate.  Nothing changes until I restart my computer.

Latest nVidia driver on 260m, Vista x64.

Read about soloing with daemon bitcoin but don't fully understand.  Newbie, obviously lol
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Exonumia

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 05:13:07 AM

As others have mentioned, I tried older versions of bitcoin (.3.2.1) and the present one doesn't work either.  The old one would mine at half the rate, and usually had no connections.  The current version does NOTHING.  Click start, absolutely no change in anything whatsoever.  GUIMiner, being the miner.

Also, if mining for a pool, it will work normally until I stop, at which point starting again will work at half hash rate.  Nothing changes until I restart my computer.

Latest nVidia driver on 260m, Vista x64.

Read about soloing with daemon bitcoin but don't fully understand.  Newbie, obviously lol

ok first things first... using nvidia hardware you are gonna have to really call on the lucky gods to generate a block... nvidia cards (like cpu miners) just cant compete with all the stream processors in amd/ati cards... your best bet is going to be pool mining if you want to be sure to generate some bitcoins.

here is my guide just to look over to verify you did all the steps:

set up your system to solo mine (if your going for the luck, which is, lets face it, fun):

in your bitcoin data directory (which is usually located in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin where Username is your windows login name) you will need to pop open (or create) a bitcoin.conf file

in that file you will put:
rpcuser=makeanewusername
rpcpassword=makeanewpassword
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=8332

save it (make sure its saved as bitcoin.conf not bitcoin.conf.txt if using notepad select "all files" on the save dialog not "txt files")

now pop open a cmd prompt and cd yourself into the bitcoin directory (the exe folder not the above data folder, usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin" on 64bit windows machines or just "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin" on 32bit windows machines) and type:

bitcoin.exe -server

after your disk spins a bit the bitcoin gui should popup.

Now open up GUIminer and select new miner, Solo, in the username put the "makeanewusername" you made in the bitcoin.conf file as the username and put "makeanewpassword" as the password you used in bitcoin.conf. Set the port to 8332 (or other if you changed it in bitcoin.conf)

Make sure you have your GPU selected from the device dropdown then click "start mining"
Choose View and then Console and you will get a console tab to see if there are any errors.

Once your bitcoin has a complete blockchain you should start seeing it mining... you will see the hash rate and every so often you will see that a share was accepted.

I am using an old ATI HD5770 (which does around 190Mhash/sec) and its been running a month in solo mode and hasn't hit the lucky block yet Wink

You WILL NOT see the bitcoin client do anything (other than updating its block count from the network) until you successfully generate a block... and then you will see a transaction appear that will remain greyed out until 120 confirmations occur then you will get 50 bitcoins. You will see gui miner update the shares it has completed.

another post about solo mining: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=10438

May the random gods of luck shine down on you to find a block.

catty56 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 06:38:33 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2011, 04:39:15 PM by catty56

Thanks for that detailed walkthrough, however I've done all that, directly or with other means.
Aside from creating a username/pass, everytime I've launched it as a server.  Path directed to bitcoin.exe in program files..

Yeah, nVidia is bogus but I'm just using it a test of the waters..  Before I consider actually putting substantial time into this.

OH, I got the old a new version problems backwards.  The old client does nothing, the new client works at half speed.

No console messages

It seems to be using the CPU, or at least not all of the gpu's power.  Temps don't go up much while it works @ half speed.

EDIT:  OK, got an odd fix:  Solo works when starting from a clean reboot, as long as I don't touch any setting or mine in any other way.  Not sure why, but I guess nVidia, and Vista, are poor choices combined with swiftly devised software.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: