Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:19:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why was USA Senate so friendly to Bitcoin?  (Read 3680 times)
JohnathanCity

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:31:14 PM

Just in defense of the weak US dollar aspect, people really should be looking into the bond market. With QE3, the Federal Reserve has fleeced many people who don't understand how treasury bonds work. They're a reason other governments are only holdings short-term bonds these day. Since the power of the US dollar is so closely related to the bonds market and interest rates, it's a recipe for disaster considering the egregious amount of national debt looming on our shoulders.

It would be worth everyone's time to do a google search on some terms such as "EQ3", "Bonds Market Collapse", "Treasury Bond Interest Rates 2013", "US Debt Default Consequences", and "February 2014 Shutdown".
These are all very real things and give very sound reasons why to have money in Bitcoin right now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:51:51 PM

Just in defense of the weak US dollar aspect, people really should be looking into the bond market. With QE3, the Federal Reserve has fleeced many people who don't understand how treasury bonds work. They're a reason other governments are only holdings short-term bonds these day. Since the power of the US dollar is so closely related to the bonds market and interest rates, it's a recipe for disaster considering the egregious amount of national debt looming on our shoulders.

It would be worth everyone's time to do a google search on some terms such as "EQ3", "Bonds Market Collapse", "Treasury Bond Interest Rates 2013", "US Debt Default Consequences", and "February 2014 Shutdown".
These are all very real things and give very sound reasons why to have money in Bitcoin right now.

+1

Somethings gotta give, and the bond market would be a good place to kick the chaos off. Something easy(-er) to comprehend, like a debt default, stock market crash or dollar exchange rate crash is not quite how the perpetrators want it to happen, if you want the average person confused that is. "Credit crunch" was a convenient way of characterising what happened in 2008, as it described the effect but not the cause. Expect some crazy media spin next crisis too.

Vires in numeris
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:26:51 PM

Along with china, the huge run up last fall was also driven by the then-coming Senate hearing and the almost love fest with Bitcoin at the hearing.

After seeing what then happened in China in December with their chilling-effect announcements, I cannot begin to understand why the USA spoke so favorably about Bitcoin and its potential.

What does the USA have to gain by allowing Bitcoin to thrive. And to be clear governments can kick Bitcoin to the niche baseball-card curb if it so desired. As much as Bitcoin advocates would love Bitcoin to rise above government's manipulative hand, Bitcoin can become nothing more than a way to trade between thieves with a single wave of a new law.

Here are some thoughts:

1. The dollar is toast and the USA wants to build some trust in the brand of "crypto-currency" not necessarily Bitcoin. Sets the table for a US based crypto currency. Heck Bitcoin is open source, why not let the code develop for a few more years, then steal it and make a USA pre-mined crypto overnight. They can just as easily at that time make Bitcoin illegal to own and provide a three month swap at current value to USA crypto.

2. The dollar is toast, and internally the government wizards see how Bitcoin and the like may be a future safe haven for value. So in their benevolence the good ol USA looks to provide options for us investors.

3. Those that consult the Senate are completely corrupt with their insider trading, financial instrument inventions, and back door dealings. So those consulting the Senate are poised to profit from Bitcoin success in some way. Coupled with Senate elect stupidity and they are easily lured into positive statements and a laissez-faire attitude.  

4. Bitcoin throughout the world is already a store of value. Speaking against it would only send our enemies running in faster. The USA needs some more time to infiltrate the Bitcoin Foundation and destroy it from the inside.  The USA will destroy Bitcoin and maybe a few other Alts all at the same time, while simultaneously providing a new coin of their own.

5. They are all stupid. Yes they could potentially all be stupid to not realize the potential for crypto currency and what it can do to the position of the dollar in the world.

I think being stupid is the least likely, what are your thoughts??

They understand the writings of John Nash (Nobel prize winner in Economics) and you don't?

(To help you out: Countries get rich when their people get rich.  Letting Americans get in earlier than everyone else in bitcoin makes them rich and makes America rich.  They likened it to accepting and investing in the internet in the early days.)

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:32:00 PM

It was weird, it's like the Senate was friendly to BTC but some other US actions have not been so friendly.  I think the Congress needs to get a policy together on BTC but I doubt that will happen.  The thought has also occurred to me that they are being friendly because China's yuan will be taking over but if the US moves first on cryptocurrency we can have a reserve currency to compete with China's because it won't be the dollar.

FinCen was talking to Mt. Gox in March and shut down their account months later when they still failed to comply.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:13:29 PM

It was weird, it's like the Senate was friendly to BTC but some other US actions have not been so friendly.  I think the Congress needs to get a policy together on BTC but I doubt that will happen.  The thought has also occurred to me that they are being friendly because China's yuan will be taking over but if the US moves first on cryptocurrency we can have a reserve currency to compete with China's because it won't be the dollar.

FinCen was talking to Mt. Gox in March and shut down their account months later when they still failed to comply.

Mount Gox evidently didn't fill out their US bank account application correctly and was charged with a violation of 18 USC 1960 "operating an unlicensed money transmitting business"
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2010-title18/html/USCODE-2010-title18-partI-chap95-sec1960.htm

http://thegenesisblock.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Gox-Wells-Fargo-Seizure-Warrant.pdf

Mount Gox is currently seeking 50 State licensing in the US which can take up to 18 months.
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:57:37 AM

They understand the writings of John Nash (Nobel prize winner in Economics) and you don't?

(To help you out: Countries get rich when their people get rich.  Letting Americans get in earlier than everyone else in bitcoin makes them rich and makes America rich.  They likened it to accepting and investing in the internet in the early days.)

Uhhh, gee thanks for "helping me out", so glad we have those great people like you and our sacred senators collaborating in our best interest.

Had I know about John Nash's vision, and our senators benevolent leadership, combined with a few brilliant citizens such as yourself, then I would have crawled into my warm bed last night and cozied up to my teddy and thanked our founding fathers for such a wonderful country. Thenclosed my little tired eyes and went to sleep under the poster on my wall that says "BitChicksHusband, John Nash and the Senate will save us all"

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
jasonjm

Activity: 1246
Merit: 524

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 06:26:44 AM

you guys are dumb as hell

if governments wanted to get rid of bitcoin it would be gone in weeks

i have posted this a million times

In fact I have a new way how to fubar bitcoin so bad its ridiculous

1) ban all bitcoin exchanges
2) use deep packet inspection at critical traffic points of internet to "break" bitcoin traffic into multiple networks by filtering the bitcoin traffic into regions, fooling bitcoin to split into multiple networks. Say 5 or so bitcoin networks globally of equal size for an hour. Then kill the filters and watch bitcoin network go batshit crazy as the 5 networks now fight amongst each other all with different versions of the ledger as they try merge up, chaos as people lose coins, wallets, transactions. repeat at random time intervals with random global IP ranges.

bitcoin mayhem and death from above.

DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:17:13 AM

2) use deep packet inspection at critical traffic points of internet to "break" bitcoin traffic into multiple networks by filtering the bitcoin traffic into regions, fooling bitcoin to split into multiple networks. Say 5 or so bitcoin networks globally of equal size for an hour. Then kill the filters and watch bitcoin network go batshit crazy as the 5 networks now fight amongst each other all with different versions of the ledger as they try merge up, chaos as people lose coins, wallets, transactions. repeat at random time intervals with random global IP ranges.

Yeah methinks taking down bitcoin would be trivial compared to Suxnet

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
minerva

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:33:00 AM

fortunately each government adopts different policies

Tip-Jar: 15NN2YwMGAntKopJgAsFBJvfuCARkV62xo
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:52:18 AM

In 1995 the 104th Congress's House of Represenetatives Subcommittee on Domestic and International Monetary Policy of the Committee on Banking and Financial Services held 4 separate hearings on "The Future of Money."  Alan Blinder, then Vice Chairman of the FED testified:

"Discussing that point raises the question of whether the Federal Government should issue its own electronic currency. Government-issued electronic currency would probably stem seignorage losses and provide a riskless electronic payment product for consumers. In addition, should the industry turn out to he a natural monopoly, dominated by a single provider, either regulation or government provision might be an appropriate policy response. But to draw that conclusion now seems much too premature. The availability of alternative payment mechanisms will mitigate any potential exercise of market power, and government issuance might preempt private sector developments and stifle important innovations.

Finally, the government's entry into this new and risky business could prove unsuccessful, costing the taxpayer money. So while we do not rule out an official electronic currency product in the future, the Federal Reserve would urge caution. "

They didn't do it then and I don't believe they would do it now.  Certainly not after the recent roll out of the Health Care debacle.
https://archive.org/details/futureofmoneyhea02unit

Canada however has been developing a centralized electronic currency, the "mint chip," over the past few years.
http://www.mint.ca/store/news/royal-canadian-mint-launches-mintchiptm-developer-challenge-14900005?cat=News+releases&nId=700002&nodeGroup=About+the+Mint#.UsWqpvS1y-0

Good find. The red parts are the real content, this is why bitcoin never can be endorsed by any state. The rest is just incompetence or desinformation.

Prepare for a fight.
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:39:48 PM

In 1995 the 104th Congress's House of Represenetatives Subcommittee on Domestic and International Monetary Policy of the Committee on Banking and Financial Services held 4 separate hearings on "The Future of Money."  Alan Blinder, then Vice Chairman of the FED testified:

"Discussing that point raises the question of whether the Federal Government should issue its own electronic currency. Government-issued electronic currency would probably stem seignorage losses and provide a riskless electronic payment product for consumers. In addition, should the industry turn out to he a natural monopoly, dominated by a single provider, either regulation or government provision might be an appropriate policy response. But to draw that conclusion now seems much too premature. The availability of alternative payment mechanisms will mitigate any potential exercise of market power, and government issuance might preempt private sector developments and stifle important innovations.

Finally, the government's entry into this new and risky business could prove unsuccessful, costing the taxpayer money. So while we do not rule out an official electronic currency product in the future, the Federal Reserve would urge caution. "

They didn't do it then and I don't believe they would do it now.  Certainly not after the recent roll out of the Health Care debacle.
https://archive.org/details/futureofmoneyhea02unit

Canada however has been developing a centralized electronic currency, the "mint chip," over the past few years.
http://www.mint.ca/store/news/royal-canadian-mint-launches-mintchiptm-developer-challenge-14900005?cat=News+releases&nId=700002&nodeGroup=About+the+Mint#.UsWqpvS1y-0

Good find. The red parts are the real content, this is why bitcoin never can be endorsed by any state. The rest is just incompetence or desinformation.

Prepare for a fight.

HOLY SHI$$$$, I give it about 18 more months and all hell breaks loose.

JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:52:17 PM

Regarding the original post: whether inflation is high or low, the US dollar is far from "toast". (If it were, then bitcoin would be "ashes" after its recent swings.)

The US government is friendly to bicoin for the same reason it is friendly to day trading and high-frequency robot trading in the stock market, or gambling in Las Vegas. As long as a business takes money from small players and brings profit to large players, it is "good". It stops being "good" only when big players get burned (as they were with Madoff and Enron).

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: