Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:24:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-01-01] Techcrunch:Why I Lost Faith In Bitcoin As A Money Transfer Protocol  (Read 1269 times)
bitbouillion (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 06:46:33 PM

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/01/why-i-lost-faith-in-bitcoin-as-a-money-transfer-protocol/

Overall, it was a painful experience, even more painful than using traditional foreign exchange services. But more importantly, I don’t see how I could trust Bitcoin as a money transfer protocol with such a high volatility.

What have exchange services and price volatility to do with the bitcoin protocol? His complaint is outright stupid.

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:32:46 PM

Techcrunch is becoming the Gizmodo of article-writers.

Seriously, its all clickbait idiocy.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:24:12 PM

I think his complaint about the risk of volatility due to the time it takes to do the end to end transfer is valid. However, he should be complaining about the banking system and not bitcoin. 99% of his time was spent waiting for the banking system.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 08:24:07 PM

His article considered moving money between the US and France as a fiat->bitcoin->fiat transaction.  This is a version of the "international remittance" problem we promote as one of the killer apps for bitcoin.  

Two notes:

1.  He tried to do this all manually, and therefore had to spend some effort to 'set everything up' and he also had to accept some currency exchange risk.  For bitcoin to succeed in this application, we need to wait for the 'BitPay of Remittance' to enter the scene (or build it!).  At this point, the remittance service will absorb the volatility risk while still performing the transaction cheaper, faster, and easier than the legacy system.

2.  In a more distant Bitcoin Economy, international remittance is just a bitcoin->bitcoin transfer.  At this point, the process is indistinguishable from sending 9 mBTC to pay for your burger.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 11:21:41 PM

His article considered moving money between the US and France as a fiat->bitcoin->fiat transaction.  This is a version of the "international remittance" problem we promote as one of the killer apps for bitcoin.  

Two notes:

1.  He tried to do this all manually, and therefore had to spend some effort to 'set everything up' and he also had to accept some currency exchange risk.  For bitcoin to succeed in this application, we need to wait for the 'BitPay of Remittance' to enter the scene (or build it!).  At this point, the remittance service will absorb the volatility risk while still performing the transaction cheaper, faster, and easier than the legacy system.

2.  In a more distant Bitcoin Economy, international remittance is just a bitcoin->bitcoin transfer.  

Or use an ATM and deposit fiat directly to the recipient's wallet.  Done.

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 12:08:10 AM

A fair argument that we need a rebuttle for.  Some offer semisolutions here, but there is definitely opportunity for western union to reduce fees (or a competitor to enter the market)

I'd love to hear of a successful experience and how people like this & reduce currency risk as much as possible. Any first hand experience?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 06:12:15 AM

LOL! He used Coinbase, that's his problem right there, not the Bitcoin protocol, these people really are clueless, I've been seeing quite a number of complaints about these guys on the boards, he also didn't take into account how much of a pain in the arse the verification process would be either, but of course no, he blames Bitcoin, it can't possibility be the fault of all those systems involving fiat.

If he had tried a different service that people spoke well of or better yet bought Bitcoins in person through localbitcoins he would have a much more different experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: