Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:32:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So...did I get scammed?  (Read 1773 times)
miningair (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:06:44 PM

I made this thread at the beginning of the week....

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=389588.0

Naturally, the connotation of paypal + btc = negative. However I was legitimately looking to buy btc.  So then I strike a deal with with "MikeCorleone".

These are now quotes from the thread I made...

Well, its coming up on almost 24hrs since i've sent payment to "MikeCorleone". And i've yet to see anything on my end? no communication from him since late afternoon yesterday...

What is going on over here? I'll give it a little bit more time.

are you still up .. or doomed by a scam ?? if you are still up pm me i can exchange btc with paypal.

Well before I make another purchase, i'd like to get this current situation figured out. I would appreciate the insight from other board members as well.

Made the deal "MikeCorleone" a few days ago, sent payment via paypal a little over 48 hours ago. Nothing since, no communication, no bitcoin. He hasn't even logged again since late afternoon on 12/30. I'm actually kind of surprised by this because he does have some trust/feedback.

So its been over 48 hours with zero communication from his end. I hate to use the word "Chargeback" as it is taboo here and everyone hates it, but what else am I left to do? Wait it out? for how long? or just get my money back and buy from the other forum members who are selling.

So at this point, i'm looking for some 2 cents before I decide on my next move.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mrugala

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:14:01 PM

My personal opinion would be waiting abit more with Your speculations. I know it is easier just to accuse someone early, I know that every minute waiting is painfull, but hey, there was that New Year party last night, You know? Cheesy

Wish You all the best!
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:34:52 PM

Did you follow the advice repeated more than once in the thread to use escrow?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2014, 09:37:12 PM

This is something Friends With Coins will solve (http://www.friendswithcoins.com).

You will be able to find a Facebook friend and buy from them with PayPal. If your friend screws you you can let everyone know it, his family will see it, his friends see it...it would be very unlikely that your friend would screw you over.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
ixne

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:40:17 PM

If you have the option to chargeback, I'd do so immediately. There is no valid reason to leave an exchange unfulfilled for more than a few minutes, let alone two days.  Either he is a scammer, there was a miscommunication and he doesn't realize you sent anything (in which case he won't miss it if you chargeback), or he is a lazy inconsiderate slob who you shouldn't be doing business with.
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:45:45 PM

I made this thread at the beginning of the week....

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=389588.0

Naturally, the connotation of paypal + btc = negative. However I was legitimately looking to buy btc.  So then I strike a deal with with "MikeCorleone".

These are now quotes from the thread I made...

Well, its coming up on almost 24hrs since i've sent payment to "MikeCorleone". And i've yet to see anything on my end? no communication from him since late afternoon yesterday...

What is going on over here? I'll give it a little bit more time.

are you still up .. or doomed by a scam ?? if you are still up pm me i can exchange btc with paypal.

Well before I make another purchase, i'd like to get this current situation figured out. I would appreciate the insight from other board members as well.

Made the deal "MikeCorleone" a few days ago, sent payment via paypal a little over 48 hours ago. Nothing since, no communication, no bitcoin. He hasn't even logged again since late afternoon on 12/30. I'm actually kind of surprised by this because he does have some trust/feedback.

So its been over 48 hours with zero communication from his end. I hate to use the word "Chargeback" as it is taboo here and everyone hates it, but what else am I left to do? Wait it out? for how long? or just get my money back and buy from the other forum members who are selling.

So at this point, i'm looking for some 2 cents before I decide on my next move.

You were warned.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
miningair (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:17:14 PM

If you have the option to chargeback, I'd do so immediately. There is no valid reason to leave an exchange unfulfilled for more than a few minutes, let alone two days.  Either he is a scammer, there was a miscommunication and he doesn't realize you sent anything (in which case he won't miss it if you chargeback), or he is a lazy inconsiderate slob who you shouldn't be doing business with.

My thoughts exactly. I'd like to give the benefit of a doubt, but after 2 days its way past due.
Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:47:53 PM

The sooner you open a Paypal Dispute, the less likely you are to lose the money. Paypal disputes give the other party time to respond, so at the very least it would be, all things considered, a precaution and a reminder that you have not received what you paid for.

The only thing that counts in your favour is that Paypal is much more likely to side with you, as normally scams of this nature work the other way; someone offers to buy BTC via paypal, then opens a dispute and gets their money back. Leaving them with the BTC and their original money.

Everything that you have as evidence helps. Screenshots, correspondence, etc. You can submit files in the dispute as evidence for Paypal to review.

I'm not 100% on this, so someone may have to correct me, but I believe you have 60 days from payment to put in a claim. However my advice would be to do it sooner, rather than later. The dispute only escalates to Paypal arbitration if matter can't be resolved via the two parties. It is your money. You are well within your right, and it is perfectly reasonable for you to protect your money.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
miningair (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 10:55:35 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2014, 11:43:59 PM by miningair

Well i've been debating between the 2. Should I just file a dispute with paypal? or go straight to the back and file a backcharge? I would imagine the bank would be best as they are ultimately the ones who make the financial decision.

Also, I have sent 1 last message to him in a attempt to reestablish communication. I doubt it will work though.
Nullu

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:49:36 PM

Well i've been debating between the 2. Should I just file a dispute with paypal? or go straight to the back and file a backcharge? I would imagine the bank would be best as they are ultimately the ones who make the financial decision.

I guess that depends on whether you think he'll get back to you anytime soon, or if you only have limited amount of time to initiate the chargeback. I'm familiar with paypal disputes, but chargebacks are a little out of my area of expertise. You'd stand a better chance, yes, but also it is the option of last resort. Whatever reasonable steps you have to take to either get what you paid for or get your money back are fine. I think you've been more than reasonable. If you still have plenty of time, you could wait a bit longer, but provided it doesn't increase your risk of loss.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
miningair (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 11:56:18 PM

With all that being said (which is very helpful), I'll probably go with the paypal dispute. But heres 2 questions.

1) How long does a paypal dispute generally take? i don't expect to hear from him, so i'd rather just speed up the process and have them make a decision.

2) I thought paypal wasn't the biggest fan of bitcoin, will that effect the dispute at all?
eximo

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:23:11 AM

With all that being said (which is very helpful), I'll probably go with the paypal dispute. But heres 2 questions.

1) How long does a paypal dispute generally take? i don't expect to hear from him, so i'd rather just speed up the process and have them make a decision.

2) I thought paypal wasn't the biggest fan of bitcoin, will that effect the dispute at all?

How did you send him money?  I didnt dig through all the other threads so sorry if you said it somewhere already.  Did you send as gift to friend or as a payment for a service?
Protrader

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Time is Money !!

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:26:47 AM

once you file a dispute instantly paypal hold sellers funds and give him 7days of time to refund or send your product.
But if he didnt replied within 7days paypal will automatically deducted money from his account and added to your account.

miningair (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:49:57 AM

How did you send him money?  I didnt dig through all the other threads so sorry if you said it somewhere already.  Did you send as gift to friend or as a payment for a service?

Paid for as services. Not as gift.
miningair (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:51:21 AM

once you file a dispute instantly paypal hold sellers funds and give him 7days of time to refund or send your product.
But if he didnt replied within 7days paypal will automatically deducted money from his account and added to your account.

1 week window, gotcha.
flipstyle

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:01:16 PM

1 week window, gotcha.

I'm in the exact same situation as you, buddy.  Got scammed for some bitcoins by a bitch on here who even agreed to use paypal invoice as 'goods.'

I filed the dispute an hour after I paid, after I realized immediately that he was pulling my chain, stopped communication, and immediately logged off.  Said he would send asap after he received the money, so obviously he was up to no good.

It's actually 2 weeks for the paypal process to get you back your money, minimum.

After 7 days (1 week) you can escalate your dispute to a claim.  Then once the claim is open, the buyer has 7 days to respond.  And if they don't, then you automatically get your money back on the 14th day.

With me it's kind of tricky, though.  Since I used both my remaining paypal balance as well as a credit card as my backup source of payment.  So if I file the chargeback immediately through my cc, then it will still leave the money that I lost from my paypal balance.  And I don't know how paypal would handle that.

Hope we both get prompt resolutions.
miningair (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 03:42:05 PM

Good insight. That's tough to hear though. 1 dispute but 2 different payments. I hope it works out.

A update on my situation. Its been almost 3 days but communication has been reestablished. I will use this thread as a update so we can see how it all goes.
miningair (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:50:24 AM

Update:

Well, after my most recent update (the post above) I haven't heard from him for another 3 days. Today, I finally  hear something, and now its been silence ever since. Still waiting to get the BTC I paid for...

I don't get it, tomorrow will be 1 week. How long does it take to send someone a bitcoin? Even if you can't, communication would still be helpful, instead of being left in the dark not knowing whats going on..............or end up making a thread (this one  Tongue ) trying to figure out if you got scammed or not.
MikeCorleone

Activity: 391

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:01:21 AM

Sent.
MikeCorleone

Activity: 391

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:25:41 AM

ba6f730b185249fc72d0fd0351ec2c0b0b827338a5894c270c1ec1e3004d2ce1 sent .2

0111242bcd1563902e1c315cf3e95ec329629f1ff8b1a5775c927f2abb75b03d sent .78

Total of  .98 btc you ordered .93

Hope this is efficient for you.

https://blockchain.info/tx/ba6f730b185249fc72d0fd0351ec2c0b0b827338a5894c270c1ec1e3004d2ce1
https://blockchain.info/tx/0111242bcd1563902e1c315cf3e95ec329629f1ff8b1a5775c927f2abb75b03d

So please don't say i didnt send, because I did.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: