Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:51:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3x R9 280x setup  (Read 1268 times)
mrugala (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 09:43:06 PM

Hello, I am considering a setup for a 3x Radeon R9 280x rig, could You suggest me which other parts I should use? To minimize the cost, and be optimal aswell (so the GPU is the bottleneck)?

Assistance from anyone who has similar setup would be even more helpfull Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mrugala (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:48:28 PM

really, no one with some helpfull advice?
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:37:02 AM

Hello, I am considering a setup for a 3x Radeon R9 280x rig, could You suggest me which other parts I should use? To minimize the cost, and be optimal aswell (so the GPU is the bottleneck)?

Afaik scrypt mining doesn't require much cpu or ram power so I would just go to newegg and find the cheapest motherboard with 3 pci-e slots (probably 1 pci-e x16 and 2 pci-e x1 would be cheapest). PSU would probably need to be 1000W to be safe.
mrugala (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:37:02 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 01:06:42 PM by mrugala

Afaik scrypt mining doesn't require much cpu or ram power so I would just go to newegg and find the cheapest motherboard with 3 pci-e slots (probably 1 pci-e x16 and 2 pci-e x1 would be cheapest). PSU would probably need to be 1000W to be safe.

I thought I do need 3x x16 PCI slots, since this card(280x) has PCI x16?
jimmothy

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:38:36 PM

I thought I do need 3x x16 PCI slots, since this card has PCI x16?

Has to be pci-express not pci. Can be x1 with powered risers or x16 with risers.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:55:38 PM

Beware of the heat produced. You will need risers or external fans to keep them cool!
mrugala (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:15:23 PM

Hello, I am considering a setup for a 3x Radeon R9 280x rig, could You suggest me which other parts I should use? To minimize the cost, and be optimal aswell (so the GPU is the bottleneck)?Assistance from anyone who has similar setup would be even more helpfull Smiley
Has to be pci-express not pci. Can be x1 with powered risers or x16 with risers.
I currently have GA-P35C-DS3R on my old PC, it has 1x PCI-e x16, and 3x PCI-e x1, does that mean I can use 3x 280x which have x16 PCI-e slots?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2749#sp
jimmothy

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:17:12 PM

Hello, I am considering a setup for a 3x Radeon R9 280x rig, could You suggest me which other parts I should use? To minimize the cost, and be optimal aswell (so the GPU is the bottleneck)?Assistance from anyone who has similar setup would be even more helpfull Smiley
I currently have GA-P35C-DS3R on my old PC, it has 1x PCI-e x16, and 3x PCI-e x1, does that mean I can use 3x 280x which have x16 PCI-e slots?

Your motherboard can support 4 video cards with riser cables.
mrugala (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:24:28 PM

Awesome! Riser cables only for 1x pci-e slots, right? Is the only purpose of riser cable to allow cards to be further from each one, or PCI-e x1 slots need those to connect to PCI-e x16 card(which I doubt is necessary)?

Beware of the heat produced. You will need risers or external fans to keep them cool!

Do You mean that those connected to PCI-e x1 need external fans, or each one (x16 slot one too)?
jimmothy

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:32:02 PM

Awesome! Riser cables only for 1x pci-e slots, right? Is the only purpose of riser cable to allow cards to be further from each one, or PCI-e x1 slots need those to connect to PCI-e x16 card(which I doubt is necessary)?

Do You mean that those connected to PCI-e x1 need external fans, or each one (x16 slot one too)?

For more than 2 cards you might as well just use riser cables for all of them. You need to space them out because they produce a lot of heat even with the built in fans.
mrugala (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 01:40:08 PM

Okay, do I need PCI-e x16(female) ---> PCI-e x1(male) cables for PCI-e x1 slots on my card?

http://s13.postimg.org/tug6gbuhz/3853049986.jpg

Or can I use PCI-e x16 --> PCI-e x16 ones?
mrfakename

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:01:29 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 02:38:29 PM by mrfakename

"wow I'm jealous!" isn't advice but it may be the answer you're seeking. If not I'm sure everyone will walk you through it b/c you're not feeling like using search/google. You should get 1 before you go all in

Cheesy
mrugala (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 03:45:49 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 05:16:04 PM by mrugala

"wow I'm jealous!" isn't advice but it may be the answer you're seeking. If not I'm sure everyone will walk you through it b/c you're not feeling like using search/google. You should get 1 before you go all in

Cheesy

Kinda late with Your post, also I've seen many guides but in my opinion buying 300$ motherboard isn't necessary at all.
xocel

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:56:10 PM

you'll want a 1200W PSU (just to be safe), if you go with the sapphire vapor X's you cant fit 3 side by side on most motherboards, and even if you could they will run too hot, so you'll need risers so they can be mounted elsewhere (and further apart)

I just use an amd a4 in my miners, don't need much cpu and 4G-8G ram.

You don't need a good motherboard just one with enough pci-e slots.  I use the f2a85x-up4 in my miners but that's just because im familiar with the board and I like a few of its features. (its a tad unpredictable with risers though). You can use any type of pci-e slot, 1x, 16x etc, it doesnt matter just get the right risers (e.g 2x pci-e 1x to 16x risers, 1x pci-e 16x to 16x) I have a rig here atm with 3 280x's. 2 in 1x slots, 1 in 16x slot, all powered risers.

mrugala (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:21:47 AM

You can use any type of pci-e slot, 1x, 16x etc, it doesnt matter just get the right risers (e.g 2x pci-e 1x to 16x risers, 1x pci-e 16x to 16x) I have a rig here atm with 3 280x's. 2 in 1x slots, 1 in 16x slot, all powered risers.

Does the slower PCI-E slots affect the hashrate? I mean is hashing faster on card connected via PCI-e 16x, and slower on those connected on PCI-E x1?
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 12:02:25 PM

no

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: [1]
  Print