Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:44:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does the "total ledger" of all coins look like?  (Read 10293 times)
Ground Loop (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2010, 10:14:40 PM

I'm trying to wrap my head around the coin log idea, and wonder what information is available in it.

Could someone make a graph of all the coin values ever awarded, their path through the system, and their current holder?  Something like http://www.wheresgeorge.com/ but on the whole economy?

Is it possible to tally up the holdings of every known bitminer/Bitcoin Address and produce something like the "Top 10 Richest Bitcoin holders"?

What information is private?  I suppose aggregation of multiple Bitcoin Addresses (a person, for example) is inscrutable.  But could someone, conceivably, state with accuracy how much money has been donated to Bitfountain's posted address?

Bitcoin accepted here: 1HrAmQk9EuH3Ak6ugsw3qi3g23DG6YUNPq

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
July 15, 2010, 11:31:53 PM

Could someone make a graph of all the coin values ever awarded, their path through the system, and their current holder?  Something like http://www.wheresgeorge.com/  but on the whole economy?

I'm going to do that. It will be a website that will allow you to see inside of blocks and trace transaction histories. I think I know how to do everything required, so you might see it somewhat soon.

What information is private?  I suppose aggregation of multiple Bitcoin Addresses (a person, for example) is inscrutable.

Yes. You can get the "top 10 most valuable BitCoin addresses", but not the "top 10 richest users"

But could someone, conceivably, state with accuracy how much money has been donated to Bitfountain's posted address?

You can see it exactly if the address doesn't change.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2010, 11:49:03 PM

Could someone make a graph of all the coin values ever awarded, their path through the system, and their current holder?  Something like http://www.wheresgeorge.com/  but on the whole economy?

Every generated coin gets a unique address, so you until they get bundled together and sent somewhere you don't know to whom ("whom" as in "which Bitcoin Address") they belong.

Yes. You can get the "top 10 most valuable BitCoin addresses", but not the "top 10 richest users"

You can get the top 10 addresses that have received the most coins (and could figure out how many have gone back out), but there will probably be a lot of generated coins that have never been spent which will just look like little 50-coin islands.

But could someone, conceivably, state with accuracy how much money has been donated to Bitfountain's posted address?

Yes; the BitFountain BitTap BitFaucet donation address doesn't change, so you can see how many bitcoins have gone in.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: