Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:30:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SAVE money - undervolting 7970 XFX, self made VBE7 bios = TABLE OF CONTENTS =  (Read 56531 times)
Hertog

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:49:30 PM

@Dracoin, quick question, will this flashing make it possible to change the voltage through cgminer? You seem to imply such with statig that you flash once, and then (dynamically) alter voltages to find an optimum.

If not through cgminer, could you elaborate how this is done?

Thanks.

Edit:

Yes, via cgminer. It is finally able to change the voltages Wink
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zSprawl

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 04:06:40 AM

I enjoyed reading this thread, and found it interesting as I experienced many of the same trials, which I wrote about here:

http://zsprawl.com/iOS/2013/12/mining-bitcoins-in-esxi-using-an-xfx-7970/

Although I couldn't get undervolting to work at all. It just kept crashing on me. Sad

BTC: 1EyCRbT3YeskViEtH9KfRLpjdR2nsrrcW6
JCviggen

Activity: 1260
Merit: 505

Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:20:17 AM

How can I read out those amp sensors?

GPU-z, shows VRM input current (and input voltage) but it is separate for GPU and memory VRM so you need to add them up.
Also HWinfo64 will do, this one actually calculates power OUT based on VRM output current & voltage but we want to know input power which it does not calculate. So we still need to check what the input current is and multiply with the input voltage.

Curiously, input voltage is different a little from card to card, even though they are hooked to the same PSU.

What do you mean by "with 1.025V set 0.965 actual" ?

Well 1.025V is the voltage setting. Either in afterburner or the card's BIOS. The actual voltage after Vdroop is 0.965. Again can be seen in GPU-z or HWinfo.

Here is a screenshot with HWinfo.

We see 9.4A @ 11.65V for the GPU and 3.875A at 11.47V for the memory. 109.5 + 44.5 = 154W input.
I've been using these readings since the beginning to optimize power consumption, since I don't have a kill-a-watt.

I've done the same for my R9 290, unfortunately that one is a bit unclear because the second VRM (which used to be memory) is showing low power usage but GPU VRM is showing relatively high usage, as if some of the memory is accounted for in the first one. Regardless, I've been able to tune the main power consuming VRM down to less than 150W input at 805 Kh/s. At default settings (833 kh/s) it was pulling around 230W from that VRM bank.

Quacko

Activity: 47

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:50:29 AM

About the same here. 25.6 eurocent = 0.35$. And in the past weeks, there were days with 4 euros per day worth of coins with my >900 khash/s.

Thanks for your doubts. You are right, it was already a lot of effort, and we have to be 100% sure that it's worth it, and choose the most profitable, and still most ecological way.

You inspired me to redo all of the calculations.  See below, another posting.
3 times as much as electricity costs ... would mean 8.50 euros / MH / day  reliably.

Tell me your secrets, please.  Where do you mine??  Perhaps tell me by PM.
I have 5.1 euros per day for electricity (slightly less, but I rounded it up), I have 2269kH/s which nets me on average per 24h 17.8 euro/day with current ratings (average over last 17 days rounded down and not taking in to account that sometimes 1 of my machines wasn't mining meaning profits are actually higher). As you are so friendy and helpful i'll pm you the details of my pool, but it's no real big secret tbh...

but I doubt that for 10% lower hashrate that I can get to 30% lower power draw from the wall. I can check my overall powerdraw and spendings easy as I have a meter that allows me to put in the kWh price and it shows my total power consumption and total price, pretty easy!
You can see yourself in that posting below. Measurements for 5 different settings.
I don't fully understand what you mean with "Measurement for 5 different settings". But I want to add, if electricity costs you as much as 40% of your earnings, that makes your earnings 2.5x higher than what your electricity costs, meaning that if u lower your best total hashrate by 10% to underclock/volt you need to have more than a 25% TOTAL decrease in power drawings or you actually lose money by undervolting/clocking. Which still seems a lot imo. The guy who lowered his powerdraw so that he could have 2 280x cards on a 450W supply, what are his hashing speeds? Because that is what matters. I see all of you in this forum talking about kH/W, but that doesn't matter. You need to compare earnings vs spendings and nothing more. Meaning when you lower your total hashrate 10% your total earnings will lower 10%. For every euro you earn less per day, you have to spend more than a euro less per day or it's less profitable.
And when you do your calculations, make sure you use TOTAL system power, because only your card's powerdraw is useless. When you pay your bills, you have to pay for total powerdraw, not just your cards. So lowering powerdraw by 25% for every 10% hashpower lost means lowering total power draw by 25%.

I just solved my problem too that I had with my powerdraw not going down even when I undervolted. Turns out I had a driver problem on my windows machine.
Congratulations. Now that you mention it, please explain the driver before and after situation to us, as it is power-related - perhaps it can be useful for someone else?
Well I was on the beta drivers of AMD, and they apparently gave me problems or perhaps I had driver corruption I don't know rly. When I undervolted my card, it helped to draw less power, but only up to a certain point, after that lowering the voltages more didn't seem to do much. Thing is I installed the latest non-beta drivers now and now when I undervolt more it actually goes down some, not all that much, but still some.

I am currently running on 1.04V for 1040Mhz core and 1500Mhz ram. The system that I am undervolting draws 83W with the gpu disabled and 300W with the card hashing away.
I have to say though, I can't play games with that vcore. It crashes, hashing is fine, but games need at least 1.15V but that's probably due to the fact that in games it runs at its full default speed of 1100Mhz instead of 1050MHz that I use for hashing (If I increase the MHz above 1050 for hashing my hashrate actually drops, same for the memory).
drakoin (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:37:18 AM

I enjoyed reading this thread, and found it interesting as I experienced many of the same trials, which I wrote about here:
http://zsprawl.com/iOS/2013/12/mining-bitcoins-in-esxi-using-an-xfx-7970/

Same here, I enjoyed reading your page, thanks!
Interesting the approach you took in the virtualization, good solution just flushing the BIOS with your wanted values.

BUT you took a BIOS for a card of a different vendor, didn't you?  Gigabyte on XFX?
IMHO, you don't need to go that far, just tweak your given XFX bios.

The tool you are suggesting "Radeon HD77xx/78xx/79xx BIOS Editor" by Dragonheart
answers in my case "Your card is non reference, voltage control is impossible".
But it is.  I  suggest to use VBE7 instead. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vbe7+bios

Although I couldn't get undervolting to work at all. It just kept crashing on me. Sad

Perhaps something in our thread here might actually help you with it, if you try again?

When crashing?  Booting?  Cgminer?    Raise the voltage a bit.

1) With a high voltage, find your CC/MC clockspeed optimum.
2) Then slowly lower the voltage until crash. Then reboot, and
3) use a voltage circa 0.025V or 0.035V above the crash threshold.

HTH
:-)

no sign of a signature
drakoin (OP)

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:40:36 AM

will this flashing make it possible to change the voltage through cgminer?
You seem to imply such with statig that you flash once,
and then (dynamically) alter voltages to find an optimum.
If not through cgminer, could you elaborate how this is done?
Thanks. Edit: Yes, via cgminer. It is finally able to change the voltages Wink

Yes, that's the way.
Flush a voltage X into the BIOS lower than the given stock voltage Y
(X<Y), then cgminer can later vary the voltage between X and Y.

Good to hear it went well.  Happy optimizing!

no sign of a signature
drakoin (OP)

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:32:58 AM

How can I read out those amp sensors?
GPU-z, shows VRM input current (and input voltage) but it is separate for GPU and memory VRM so you need to add them up.
Also HWinfo64 will do, this one actually calculates power OUT based on VRM output current & voltage but we want to know input power which it does not calculate. So we still need to check what the input current is and multiply with the input voltage.

You got me really excited there.  But unfortunately, it seems as if your cards have current / power measurement, mine have not. I would have noticed in GPU-z if there were a measurement. I tried now hwinfo64, but the same here:

What a pity, it would have been a brilliant option for a new generation of self-regulating mining programs, if all the GPUs reported back their power consumption.

Curiously, input voltage is different a little from card to card, even though they are hooked to the same PSU.
What do you mean by "with 1.025V set 0.965 actual" ?
Well 1.025V is the voltage setting. Either in afterburner or the card's BIOS. The actual voltage after Vdroop is 0.965. Again can be seen in GPU-z or HWinfo. Here is a screenshot with HWinfo.
That is strange.  A bit like my experience before I unlocked the voltage by flushing the bios. I chose a voltage in cgminer, but it did not go to that value.
Are you sure your voltage control is unlocked at all on that card?

We see 9.4A @ 11.65V for the GPU and 3.875A at 11.47V for the memory. 109.5 + 44.5 = 154W input.
I've been using these readings since the beginning to optimize power consumption, since I don't have a kill-a-watt.
But you are one lucky owner of a good GPU card which can read it out itself. Very cool.

Still, get a kill-a-watt if you really want to know. They are cheap.

I've done the same for my R9 290, unfortunately that one is a bit unclear because the second VRM (which used to be memory) is showing low power usage but GPU VRM is showing relatively high usage, as if some of the memory is accounted for in the first one. Regardless, I've been able to tune the main power consuming VRM down to less than 150W input at 805 Kh/s. At default settings (833 kh/s) it was pulling around 230W from that VRM bank.
Nice one. 805/150 = 5.37.  But that's only part of the card's consumption, right?

Thanks for sharing!

no sign of a signature
JCviggen

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:54:19 AM

You got me really excited there.  But unfortunately, it seems as if your cards have current / power measurement, mine have not. I would have noticed in GPU-z if there were a measurement. I tried now hwinfo64, but the same here

I have one ASUS 7970 which doesn't have these sensors available as well. But all my other cards (reference 7970) have them. I also had a Sapphire 7970 once with non-ref blue PCB which also gave me the info. Only the ASUS didn't.

I'd like to compare actual readings at the wall with what the GPU reports, but so far no-one has shown up who can see both Smiley

That is strange.  A bit like my experience before I unlocked the voltage by flushing the bios. I chose a voltage in cgminer, but it did not go to that value.
Are you sure your voltage control is unlocked at all on that card?

Yes, it's completely unlocked. I just mean... 1.025V is what you SET. Doesn't matter if you set it in trixx, MSI AB or the (modded) BIOS. You get less volts than what you set.

But you are one lucky owner of a good GPU card which can read it out itself. Very cool.

Still, get a kill-a-watt if you really want to know. They are cheap.

As far as I can tell there are more 7970s that can read it than those who can't, but I can't find a kill-a-watt around here in stores Sad

Nice one. 805/150 = 5.37.  But that's only part of the card's consumption, right?

I think so, yes. If I add up all VRM inputs from HWinfo64, I get around 175-180W input per card for 800 Kh. What they really pull, I don't know. But my Corsair 850W PSU does not mind to run 3 of these cards plus my overclocked 4770k, 4 HDDs, 10 fans and a D5 water pump at all.

drakoin (OP)

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:40:44 PM

you are one lucky owner of a good GPU card which can read it out itself. Very cool.
I have one ASUS 7970 which doesn't have these sensors available as well.
But all my other cards (reference 7970) have them.
I also had a Sapphire 7970 once with non-ref blue PCB which also gave me the info.
Only the ASUS didn't.
Alright, good to know. Thanks.

As far as I can tell there are more 7970s that can read it than those who can't, but I can't find a kill-a-watt around here in stores Sad
online then.

Nice one. 805/150 = 5.37.  But that's only part of the card's consumption, right?
I think so, yes. If I add up all VRM inputs from HWinfo64, I get around 175-180W input per card for 800 Kh. What they really pull, I don't know. But my Corsair 850W PSU does not mind to run 3 of these cards plus my overclocked 4770k, 4 HDDs, 10 fans and a D5 water pump at all.
Wow. Yes, it would be really interesting to see how your calculated is related to the real power consumption. 175-180W seems low, but if you are watercooling ...

Idea: If there is something like a "save energy" initiative nearby (or the green party :-) ), perhaps they can lend you a kill-a-watt. If it turns out to report the same values, you don't need to own one, anyways.

Wink

no sign of a signature
drakoin (OP)

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:41:13 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 02:20:13 PM by drakoin

no sign of a signature
Hertog

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:43:41 PM

Quick update here.

First:
I went the TheStilt-route. The threat mentioned earlier here (https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=12369.0) is interesting for it explains why there seems to be a sweet spot for (not power optimised) mining with respect to Core/Mem-clock. Short version: card makers take shortcuts in the biosses wrt memory timing settings, TheStilt fixes those. This means no more hunting for that golden Core/Memory clock pair. Just stick the memclock tot 1500 (or any of the following:
400MHz (0-400MHz)
800MHz (401-800MHz)
900MHz (801-900MHz)
1000MHz (901-1000MHz)
1125MHz (1001-1125MHz)
1250MHz (1126-1250MHz)
1375MHz (1251-1375MHz)
1500MHz (1376-1500MHz)
1625MHz (1501-1625MHz)
1750MHz (1626-VCO Max)

and timing of the memory will be optimal. This greatly reduces the search for good hash rates.

With theStilt bios, I applied Dracoin's fix of the voltages, which in turn enables me to under volt the card.

With C:1054, ML1500, V1.065 I have already a (whopping;)) 30W drop in power from the wall, and the same hash rates. Actually the hash rates are better, because the card doesn't seem to throttle now, it is constantly at ~730Khs whereas it used to dip well below that now and then.

I haven't explored much further yet, but the stabilising of the hash rate is already a major win.

Currently I'm having 2.8kHs/W (up from 2.5) and I'll see where I can get to when I pull down the memory clocks to the above exact numbers.

Regards,

Hertog

JCviggen

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:55:08 PM

Wow. Yes, it would be really interesting to see how your calculated is related to the real power consumption. 175-180W seems low, but if you are watercooling ...

Idea: If there is something like a "save energy" initiative nearby (or the green party :-) ), perhaps they can lend you a kill-a-watt. If it turns out to report the same values, you don't need to own one, anyways.

Wink

Heh, not much green initiative going on here in Russia. When I visit my home in Belgium i'll try and find one.

Only 1 card is watercooled, the other 2 are not. The watercooled one is ~15W below the others.

I have 9x7970 and 3x290 and if I count the kWh being drawn by the whole flat (but no appliances on) it seems everything together is around 3400W which is quite a lot for only 12 cards. But of course there is PSU inefficiency and I am using 4 mainboards in total as well. And my 27" screen is on most of the day which probably draws close to 100W as well. But it's not a very accurate way to count, since it leaves me guessing at the non-mining part of total power use.

drakoin (OP)

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:14:06 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 10:07:17 PM by drakoin

I went the TheStilt-route.
Me too. And did my measurements.

In the low earnings realm it doesn't help.
In the high earnings realm it does help.

What does that mean? Please wait for the explaining posting.
(EDIT: Posting #103 gives a summary)

Four conversations at the same time *stresss*  :-)

With theStilt bios, I applied Dracoin's fix of the voltages, which in turn enables me to under volt the card.
Yes, that seems to be the way for the high-khash realm of the optimization:
TheStilt (BIOS-rewrite) + drakoin (undervolting with VBE7) + psw (optimized skrypt kernel)

With C:1054, ML1500, V1.065 I have already a (whopping;)) 30W drop in power from the wall, and the same hash rates. Actually the hash rates are better, because the card doesn't seem to throttle now, it is constantly at ~730Khs whereas it used to dip well below that now and then.
I haven't explored much further yet, but the stabilising of the hash rate is already a major win.
Currently I'm having 2.8kHs/W (up from 2.5) and I'll see where I can get to when I pull down the memory clocks to the above exact numbers.
Regards, Hertog

Super. Congratulations. Happy to hear that there is energy saved now :-)

no sign of a signature
drakoin (OP)

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:17:19 PM

I have 9x7970 and 3x290 and if I count the kWh being drawn by the whole flat (but no appliances on) it seems everything together is around 3400W which is quite a lot for only 12 cards. But of course there is PSU inefficiency and I am using 4 mainboards in total as well. And my 27" screen is on most of the day which probably draws close to 100W as well. But it's not a very accurate way to count, since it leaves me guessing at the non-mining part of total power use.
A cool idea, to use the powermeter of the whole flat. :-)

Yes, 3400/12, more than 200 W per card - sounds more realistic.

If you want to be able subtract your baseline, just go to all 12 cards,
and (g)pu (d)isable, and wait until they have cooled down.

And then read the meter.

Smiley

no sign of a signature
JCviggen

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:19:05 PM

Yeah but the problem is, for the power meter measurement to be somewhat accurate I need to count it over several hours. I'm not going to turn off my miners for several hours while they produce 100+ dollars per day  Grin

drakoin (OP)

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:20:37 PM

Grin

no sign of a signature
Hertog

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:34:01 PM

Slightly off topic:

A cool idea, to use the powermeter of the whole flat. :-)

@Dracoin, look at this link: http://efergy.com/eu/
I have some of their products (Efergy Engage and E2), and they work quite well. That is, if you don't have any solar panels, because the device can't differentiate between power going from the grid and power going to the grid. Quite an eye opener to have one installed..... (And there is always pvoutput, again, if you have solar panels and a smart meter installed: http://www.pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=22911&sid=20798 )
drakoin (OP)

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:01:05 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 10:17:25 PM by drakoin

@Dracoin, look at this link: http://efergy.com/eu/ I have some of their products (Efergy Engage and E2), and they work quite well. That is, if you don't have any solar panels, because the device can't differentiate between power going from the grid and power going to the grid. Quite an eye opener to have one installed..... (And there is always pvoutput, again, if you have solar panels and a smart meter installed: http://www.pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=22911&sid=20798 )
Cool, thanks for that hint.

Edit: Just had a longer look. Very nice.  So for 80 euros I would have the data in my computer? Or only in some proprietary online platform?  

Still, it's overkill. I just want a clamp and a board with a USB connection - and a programmable API.

Every hint welcome!

no sign of a signature
drakoin (OP)

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:02:21 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 08:12:07 PM by drakoin

So, finally I am back on this :-)

I have 5.1 euros per day for electricity (slightly less, but I rounded it up), I have 2269kH/s which nets me on average per 24h 17.8 euro/day with current ratings
Thanks a lot for the numbers - that is 7.84 euros/day/MH.
Very nice. I earned less. Much less.

And here is also the explanation for our different opinions.
You have been optimizing for a different region of the overall problem than me.

So we are both right, but in the two different realities "low / high earnings"

You need to compare earnings vs spendings and nothing more.

I know.
Profit is the only thing that counts.
Sounds a bit Ferengi, though :-)

But it's good that you insisted, thank you very much - now I see clearer as
I recalculated the whole thing, all the numerical empirics is published here in #101.

I see all of you in this forum talking about kH/W, but that doesn't matter.

I think we should consider both.  

Or put differently: For you not, but for me, khash/Watt does matter.
The used electrical power P is very physical. I am talking efficiency.

Let's try to see clearer:

There is a "physical" or "hashing conversion ratio" h ~ H/P which makes hashrate H out of Watts P

and a "mining conversion ratio" m ~ C/H which makes coins C out of hashrate H, depending on pool choice & luck.

In the end, we get coins C from electricity E like this

Code:
C = m *h * E

And profit F (for Ferengi  Wink ) is coins C minus electricity E

Code:
F =  C   - E 
  =  m*h*E - E
  = (m*h -1) * E

Now we have a new proportionality, between profit F and electricity E, and the factor is (m*h-1)

Our profitability limit is at m*h == 1. Below 1 means paying more for electricity than earning in coins.

Personally, I would really like to see much more F coming out than energy E put in, so
Code:
F >> E   or   m*h >> 2  
-  but that's my personal taste.

Look at an extreme case:
Even with m*h = 1.1, you still make profit - but me, I wouldn't want to anymore, because I cannot responsibly do that, put in 100 euros electricity to make 10 Euros profit.

Your m*h is 3.49, isn't it?    

I have 5.1 euros per day for electricity ... which nets me on average per 24h
17.8 euro/day with current ratings (average over last 17 days ...)
(17.8-5.1)/5.1 = 2.49   That's cool.   Very cool.  Good m, and good h, I guess.

We cannot really choose E freely - just in jumps of buying more cards :-)
Within one card, E is simply proportional to P
... which is a nontrivial function of (CC, MC, VDDC),
and P and H are interdependent.

And what can we say about the absolute hashrate H? Actually,
both H and P are nontrivial functions of our cgminer settings:

{H, P} = function (CC, MC, VDDC)

with h ~ H/P in khash/Watt my efficiency ratio
and H the absolute hashrate in khash/s

Ideally we would actually like to optimize efficiency h AND the absolute hashrate H, right?

At your highly successful m ~ 7.84 euros/day/MH, I can well understand that you rather want to push your H as high as possible, even if your P goes up even more, and thus your efficiency h = H/P decreases.  With e.g. m ~ 5 Euros/day/MH, the situation already looks different.  Real numbers are in in #101.

Meaning when you lower your total hashrate 10% your total earnings will lower 10%.
True.
C ~ H

Then we can calculate differences in absolute earnings,
and differences in relative earnings (in relation to energy costs).

Let's optimize both; depending on the current m, different strategies might be profitable.

For every euro you earn less per day, you have to spend more than a euro less per day or it's less profitable.
And that's exactly where my thinking lead me to khash/Watt being the perfect measure to optimize.

On that way, I had lost track that I am also lowering my absolute earnings C if I lower my hashrate H, even if at the same time I succeed in increasing the efficiency h of the machine.  And if I am in the high earnings realm, I actually loose profit. I appreciate your reminder!

I had always hoped that we together find another sweet spot (CC, MC, volt) with a higher absolute hashrate H, and still very good efficiency h = H/P but that hasn't happened (yet). The search is still on, people - go and test your cards in unusual clock settings!

If you want to please check my math. As I was swapping variables a bit to make it clearer, there might be a typo still.

And when you do your calculations, make sure you use TOTAL system power, because only your card's powerdraw is useless.
 When you pay your bills, you have to pay for total powerdraw, not just your cards.
Sure.
I have added 40W, that's half of the baseline consumption, because I have two cards in there.
For 4 or even 6 cards, it's slightly better, of course.

So lowering powerdraw by 25% for every 10% hashpower lost means lowering total power draw by 25%.
I understood you ... but have a look at the numerics in posting #101 and #102 please.

Enough theory, we want to see numbers now!

no sign of a signature
drakoin (OP)

see my profile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:54:59 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 06:57:07 PM by drakoin

I just solved my problem too that I had with my powerdraw not going down even when I undervolted. Turns out I had a driver problem on my windows machine.
Well I was on the beta drivers of AMD, and they apparently gave me problems or perhaps I had driver corruption I don't know rly. When I undervolted my card, it helped to draw less power, but only up to a certain point, after that lowering the voltages more didn't seem to do much. Thing is I installed the latest non-beta drivers now and now when I undervolt more it actually goes down some, not all that much, but still some.
So it was the beta drivers vs. non beta drivers - good to know. Thanks!

I am currently running on 1.04V for 1040Mhz core and 1500Mhz ram. The system that I am undervolting draws 83W with the gpu disabled and 300W with the card hashing away.
Same here when disabled, 81W.

All the other values below.

I have to say though, I can't play games with that vcore. It crashes, hashing is fine, but games need at least 1.15V but that's probably due to the fact that in games it runs at its full default speed of 1100Mhz instead of 1050MHz
I am not a gamer, but I would probably try to solve it by having an Afterburner profile for gaming with higher VDDC.

that I use for hashing (If I increase the MHz above 1050 for hashing my hashrate actually drops, same for the memory).
Same here, my max khash rate I get at CC=1025 with tweaked original BIOS, and at CC=1054 with tweaked TheStilt BIOS.

Just an idea for your gaming: Perhaps it makes sense to optimize an Afterburner gaming profile, starting with the cgminer optimal settings, and try that for gaming, too?  Please do a comparison. For gaming the FPS is probably the order parameter? Try 1050, then try 1100 MHz, and see which one results in more FPS.  Perhaps we can also optimize for gaming experience now?   Smiley

Have fun!

Smiley

And ... bump to the next page

no sign of a signature
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: