Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:41:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Completed Scam]  (Read 5154 times)
brixton74

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:55:52 PM

Well, I am no TOR expert, just tryin to help.  Scammers like this are affecting business and need to be dealt with.
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:06:29 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2014, 10:38:19 PM by prezbo

Well, I am no TOR expert, just tryin to help.  Scammers like this are affecting business and need to be dealt with.
Honestly, everyone that falls for an obvious scam like that pretty much deserves what he gets.
brixton74

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:22:26 PM

Really...
They deserved to have their coins stolen.....if that line of thought helps ease your conscience you need to check yourself.
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:36:26 PM

Really...
They deserved to have their coins stolen.....if that line of thought helps ease your conscience you need to check yourself.
I didn't steal from anyone, so there's no need for that. It just seems totally absurd to me that people keep falling for the same obvious tricks.
brixton74

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 10:42:10 PM

I was speaking in general....

To new folks these are not the same old obvious tricks...my opinion only most newbies see buying and selling on here like craigslist where cheap used stuff is commonplace.
mpattison

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:57:14 PM

That IP address is gold for someone with any wherewithal when it comes to networking.
I wish I had some more time to dig into this.  If that is legitimately the IP where the OP was thinking he was safe, then he is as dumb as a doornail and can be exposed.
crashoveride54902

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Dream become broken often

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:00:05 AM

think this should be sticky for everyone to see so more ppl use escrow...maybe even copied and sticky'd in the goods section as well Smiley

Dreams of cyprto solving everything is slowly slipping away...Replaced by scams/hacks Sad
brixton74

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:16:44 AM

He was running two scams at once....for a rough total of $160....bottom feeder will most likely return.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=397903.msg4298327#msg4298327
thepwnorbpwnd

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:27:20 AM

What a douchebag, [Completed Scam]. lol Like just rubs it in, you dinkus, we'll be waiting for you.
NocTurNalFX

Activity: 99

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:43:43 AM

Karma will catch up to him.  What comes around goes around.  Im sure the scammer is some 20 year old that still lives with his mommy.  Probably doesnt have a job and is going no where in life. 

To the one who fell for this scam,  At least you didnt loose thousands.  Could have been worse.   Sucks you got scammed,  but use this as a lesson.   Dont trade with anyone with out due diligence.  If they are new  use escrow for sure.   Sofar I have been lucky and have done a few legit trades,  but I try to just go with respected members here.   I have lost money before to scams before,  now I am more careful.

Goodluck.   Sent you a small donation ,  not much  but I dont have much at the moment. 

https://blockchain.info/tx-index/6f719cbd45a6d94b2024f87be1edda484e872d77b2621360f5cc28392a762d7d

BTC Donations: 1MH1Si7eFToQDFcmEYsBgsAXEcochQe4Cg
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:17:27 AM

Seller says that he's going to ship item today. I am still willing to give the benefit of the doubt until tomorrow.

I really appreciate everyone's input here. It's good to know that everyone is out looking for scammers.

I sent a PM to the buyer to discuss details of the sale because I tend to ask a ton of questions and I would rather not clutter the public thread. However, I do insist upon making details of the sale public before I send payment. In this case, I considered the amount of BTC0.24 to be an amount that would not only be disproportionately increased by escrow, but (more importantly) an amount that I was willing to lose half of if the sale went bad.

Even though I am not the most active member, I do read a lot and I am well aware of best practices when it comes to transactions here. This deal was voluntary on my part, but thanks to everyone for watching out.

Everyone is correct, there was no Jalapeno. Though it means nothing, I'm sincerely sorry that I've taken the coins, and I wish you good luck in cryptocurrency.

lol, the gentleman thief..

I wish I could laugh but this kind of thing sickens me.
Delarock

Activity: 388

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 08:49:37 AM

I was a little hesitant to post this because it may seem like I'm just trying to save face when it was obvious that something was up...

This was something that I assumed all the risk on. I knew that I was taking a risk on this kind of deal, but it's a philosophical issue that I have with sales here. The system isn't perfect and it's rife with scammers, but there has to be a certain degree of faith that we place in others, no matter how reputable they are. The risk wasn't that great, and I would not have taken a chance if it was more than $100. For example, I was involved in a "Projects" sale that would have involved approx BTC9. This guy was a reputable member, but I did not like the way he conducted business. It was red flags since minute one. However, due to the fact that his Trust feedback was good and he was a very established member, I was considering doing the deal. He wouldn't adhere to certain things I consider vital before a sale, so I ended up passing. Turns out, he's scammed quite a few people. I didn't lose with "Projects." I lost on this transaction. It is what it is.

Hopefully this will be a good example for all. What I've learned is that the community here looks out for each other, and there are plenty of people trying to sniff out scammers. Every one who does this, no matter how harsh there advice may be to new members or first time traders, makes it harder for scammers. Lesson learned.

And NocTurNalFx- Thank you for the donation, but it's not necessary. I've sent it back plus a little bit extra. Figured I had allocated a little bit for this scam sale, you can have some of that. Use it safely and wisely.  Grin

https://blockchain.info/tx/bdf00846d26b325842cab07e2a156162ae71c964af43b6666234620a4f5b9d62
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:10:11 AM

Maybe this is the "dovahkiin" thief?  IDK, it's some sort of Skyrim character?   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4KQk0pS9z8

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:17:07 AM

Is that a helpful IP in the lower right hand side?

Come on guys!
LOL gg, that's his proxy IP he was using on the tor browser. Its nothing to do with that particular site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/10498, but the administrator of that site could track the view at that time stamp with that IP and trace it back from there. Or science or something Tongue
Well. They obviously wouldn't, and you can count Gmail and Google out without a government demand, too. They're hardcore about not revealing data on their users to the plebs. To what sites do Favicons 2-4 belong? I'm guessing #4 is the most promising.
NocTurNalFX

Activity: 99

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 09:18:20 AM

Hopefully new members will do a little research before they trade.  Its very easy to get scammed.  Nothing is 100 percent full proof with btc  thats for sure.  The more the community comes together  the easier it will be to stamp out the majority of the scammers.  One day Smiley

I didn't mind donating you the coin.  i would have sent over all that you were scammed out of if I had it on hand.  TBH you helped me out tremendously,  I put a couple usb miners for sale because i need  a little bit of coin to upgrade my Gh/s .  you put me a little over half way to my goal.  

Karma is a good thing.   Thanks allot Delarock.  Sorry  you got scammed.    Hopefully he will get his in the end.  

BTC Donations: 1MH1Si7eFToQDFcmEYsBgsAXEcochQe4Cg
elaramus

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:03:36 PM

@Delarock,

I just noticed this thread and wanted to say I'm sorry you were manipulated by a lazy no good worthless mother f!@#$r who obviously doesn't care about the long term health of bitcoin as a viable medium of exchange. Idiots like that are helping to hinder mainstream acceptance of this currency.

I'm hoping that that wasn't the only Jally you had a line on for the chips you just picked up. If it was (I believe in karma as well) I wasn't really ready to sell my Jallys, but I will offer one of the 4 I picked up on Black Friday at the same price, so you're not left hanging in the wind. I've got photos of the output on the hacking thread and it would be a 3 chip vice a 2 chip Jally, but other than that it's brand new and has been crunching since the day I bought it without issue. If you read the other thread, you'll know I opened it, replaced the thermal compound and flipped the fan for better cooling.

Note: This offer is good for Delarock only as he just picked up some raw BFL chips from me & I don't like to see people getting screwed. Earliest I could ship it would be late tomorrow and I'll have to use a different box then what it came in, because I received all 4 of the Black Friday Jally's in one box... I do still have a one unit Jally box (from the one I blew up) so it will be in a original BFL box. If you decide to do this, I'd ask you cover shipping costs.

Anyway, Sorry you got taken by an A$$hole. Let me know if you want one.... If you look at the hacking thread, it would be one of the 9.9-10ish Jallys, not the 12. The 12's are the 2 chip ones I added a chip to, and the 9.9-10's are the ones I received with 3 chips in place already. So aside from the thermal compound and fan flip, you'd be receiving a pristine unit.
Delarock

Activity: 388

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:22:00 PM

Thanks elaramus. I'm good for now. I'm not out anything besides a fraction of a bitcoin. Not a big deal- whenever you're ready to sell, shoot me a PM.
TheWoodser

Activity: 188

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 06:30:26 PM

Is that a helpful IP in the lower right hand side?

Come on guys!

This IP resolves back to the host of that website......

IP Address:
[ IP To Location - IP To Country - IP To Host]

Hostname:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
[Domain To Location - Domain Country - Domain To IP]

IP Blacklist Check:
Not Blacklisted
[ Blacklist Check]

IP Lookup Location For IP Address: 130.14.29.110

Continent:
North America (NA)

United States   (US)

Capital:
Washington

State:
Maryland

City Location:
Bethesda

Postal:

Area:

ISP:
National Library of Medicine

Organization:
National Library of Medicine

Time zone:
America/New_York

Extra IP Lookup Finder Info for IP Address: 130.14.29.110

Continent Lat/Lon:
46.07305 / -100.546

Country Lat/Lon:
38 / -98

City Lat/Lon:
(39.0032) / (-77.1602)

IP Language:
English

IP Address Speed:
Corporate Internet Speed
[ Check Internet Speed]

IP Currency:
United States dollar($) (USD)

IDD Code:
+1

Tip Jars:  BTC: 1J8y3SLzGoY2gLYScsbTZmUH7dW18J1q4S          LTC:  LMkJZ8yuwtVr57GLYZ1JRWstQTc29Cfrtn     Doge: D95sgyBbRz8xhsQMAPmACYfB8vKWUAGuTn 
Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366385.0
Megabit monster

Activity: 126

Will work for BitCoins

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:24:01 AM

I don't think the OP understands how IP trace-backs & logs work...
If staff here decided to provide me or any network-inclined users with the IP address of the OP, I could trace it back in less than 20 minutes.  Of course this becomes more difficult the more proxies he is working through, but I am going out on a limb and assuming he used less than 2.

Why are staff so reluctant to provide information on known (and in this case, admitted) scammers?

I could single handedly expose him, his ISP, his personal IP, his alt accounts, his e-mail addresses if given the adequate information.

TOR ftw?

Cisco CCNP + CCIE Written. Open to various networking/VOIP related projects. 
Accept bitcoin for payments. Extensive successful project history.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:05:51 AM

I don't think the OP understands how IP trace-backs & logs work...
If staff here decided to provide me or any network-inclined users with the IP address of the OP, I could trace it back in less than 20 minutes.  Of course this becomes more difficult the more proxies he is working through, but I am going out on a limb and assuming he used less than 2.

Why are staff so reluctant to provide information on known (and in this case, admitted) scammers?

I could single handedly expose him, his ISP, his personal IP, his alt accounts, his e-mail addresses if given the adequate information.

TOR ftw?

Unfortunately if the staff had to deal with all the scams on this forum, they wouldn't have time to do anything else.

Be good to get him though Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: