Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:21:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug in Bitcoin-QT v0.8.6-beta??  (Read 1027 times)
Mastahh (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:41:21 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 11:09:50 AM by Mastahh

So i had 0,8999BTC and after i transfered 0.10 BTC to other address all others bitcoin very transfered to unknown address.
Here is TX info
https://blockchain.info/ru/tx/ab5fba7a76bb845b058ad5e8a2b31fc52db958d2e37c4d6f210136c57e7060b2
So I tried to get privkey for unknown wallet using console, as in some threads mentioned that is addres which is created by BT client and i should have acces to this localy, but no way.
After import this privkey into MultiBit i have completely different address.
So it looks like that BitCoin-QT transfered some money to unknown address.
I imported my wallet to MultiBit and it shows balance 0.0BTC

So there is no way top recover my wallet and this 0,7999BTC, so bitcoins is big scam and it is very easy to lost you money and not body can help you, so i do not think that it can be really good for real currency alternativem because it suck when you lose money during transaction for no reason.
Mastahh (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:13:22 AM

So it looks like that both addresses are mine

Code:
13:13:00 validateaddress 1LQBLhthwq7E8kcRuhAbkS6y7WGcB4nDo8
13:13:00 {
"isvalid" : true,
"address" : "1LQBLhthwq7E8kcRuhAbkS6y7WGcB4nDo8",
"ismine" : true,
"isscript" : false,
"pubkey" : "...",
"iscompressed" : true
}

13:13:48 validateaddress 14U89gbaoSio3PN6uzqTbAfiozAjdRq6Sr
13:13:48
{
"isvalid" : true,
"address" : "14U89gbaoSio3PN6uzqTbAfiozAjdRq6Sr",
"ismine" : true,
"isscript" : false,
"pubkey" : "...",
"iscompressed" : true,
"account" : ""
}

What is the proper way to move my wallet to another computer or to MultiBit?
So if i just import my main wallet using privkey, what happens whitch my change wallet? It is will be lost?
evilpete

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:22:18 PM

This is just the way bitcoin works.  You don't have an "account" with a balance like you do with a bank.  The wallet metaphor is more accurate.  Your wallet is a collection of individual payments and it adds up the total to show you a "balance".

Bitcoin is a journal of who paid what to whom.  Each payment is either "spent" or "not spent".  The wallets keep all the individual payments stored together.  When you pay an amount to somebody, the wallet software collects up "enough" individual amounts, and creates a transaction that pays somebody else an amount, and pays *you* the change.

Suppose you received 0.8btc and 0.6btc and want to pay somebody 1btc.  Your wallet will select the 0.8 and 0.6 inputs to spend, sending 1btc to the person and 0.4btc back to you as change.  The 0.8 and 0.6 are now gone, and you have a new 0.4 in your wallet to spend.  Bitcoin-Qt doesn't show you the address, but it's there.

This is how people can get into trouble with paper wallets - they think of it as an account with a balance.  You have to deal with the change or bad things happen.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi
evilpete

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:24:57 PM

What is the proper way to move my wallet to another computer or to MultiBit?
So if i just import my main wallet using privkey, what happens whitch my change wallet? It is will be lost?

If you import the privkey, you're losing the change addresses.  If you can import the entire wallet, that would get all the invisible change privkeys as well.

Or, just pay an address in your multibit wallet from your bitcoin-qt wallet.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Mastahh (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:53:09 AM

Thx now it is clear!
leshow

Activity: 48

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:58:02 PM

This is how people can get into trouble with paper wallets - they think of it as an account with a balance.  You have to deal with the change or bad things happen.

thanks for the detailed write up, can i ask for an example of what you mean by this last statement? my friend keeps all his btc in paper wallets and spends exclusively from that. i told him it'd be better to keep a paper wallet just for long term storage and use and encrypted wallet with backups on his pc or just open a blockchain account and backup from there, but i couldn't give him a good example of why he shouldn't spend from paper wallets like they are bank accounts....
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 07:10:32 AM

Because if he uses a client that generates a NEW change address that you later destroy, that paper wallet is now empty and you just destroyed your new key.

leshow

Activity: 48

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 07:49:19 PM

thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: