Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 06:39:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtualisation Security Question  (Read 557 times)
LRCGROUP (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 11:50:19 AM

My partner and I have a general security question.  We have been working on a business model to get potential investors to start taking a real
world approach to investment into the BitCoin market.  The tough sell we are having is security.  Our main problem is that most of the potential
investors are not hardware or software savy.  They are normal Mom and Pop kind of people that see potential but on the other hand hear about the
potential risks that come from not being IT proficient.  Coming from a security background I can honestly say that due diligence is the only key to
ensuring my BitCoins are safe from all potential hazards.  The more we try to explain all security possibilities, the more we notice the smoke
coming out of the investors ears.  More times than none the potential investors come to a conclusion it is way more trouble than it is worth.

I have been trying to simplify the process, and one scenario has come to mind.  Virtualization.  Let me throw the scenario in the room and hopefully
one of you professionals can advise if this is technicaly viable.

Client downloads BitCoin wallet.
Client installs VMWare Client.
Client installs new virtual operating system (Insuring VMWare internet pass through and folder share is turned off)
Once BitCoin wallet has fully downloaded the complete file, unplug the client computer from the internet.
Turn on file sharing on the virtual operationg system.
Pass the installation file through the file share. 
Shut down the file share.
Install the BitCoin Wallet.
Save the virtual machine at this state.
Burn the virtual machine to DVD (Snapshot with clean system with BitCoin Wallet).
Turn on file sharing and copy the wallet.dat file to the virtual machine.
Turn off file sharing.
Burn the virtual machine to DVD (Snapshot with clean system with BitCoin Wallet + new wallet.dat).
Create wallet address.  White paper the address and private key.
Burn the virtual machine to DVD (Snapshot with clean system with BitCoin Wallet + new wallet.dat + address)

Now our investor has a multi level backup of a clean virtual system.

My thought process behind this is the end user does not need to go out and purchase any hardware or take there chances using the cloud.
I would appreciate any feedback.  Many thanks.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 03:43:06 PM

I would pgp the download
But your mom and pop will faint on step 2 anyway.
Wait for hardware wallets

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 03:47:09 PM

Are you a part of euclid? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=394126.0

LRCGROUP (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 07:58:08 AM

I have nothing to do with this post.  I have posted a comment in this thread.  I administrate the EuroClear Euclid backend system by one of my clients. 
I do not believe this person that posts in the name of Euclid has anything to do with EuroClear Bank out of Brussels.
Euclid is a software for transaction clearing.  You can read more about it here:

http://www.euroclear.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: