Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 02:19:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Binance phishing email  (Read 147 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6158

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 08:10:41 PM

The email address: support@binancesupport.co

Once again, I want that to say I'm very careful where I use my email. This just shows that some crypto services are leaking/selling user emails.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2018, 10:12:34 PM

Did you use the same email somewhere else too? It could be easier to find out which one turned out to be a fraud, if you list them out. Did you run a malware scan for the download link?

Worst part is that a lot of the online crypto services have a totally different link for their service and a totally different link for their support. So users get easily misleaded of necessary protective actions aren't taken up by an individual.

akamit

Activity: 1484
Merit: 595

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 10:39:03 PM
Last edit: May 18, 2018, 10:50:55 PM by akamit

I just came to exchange board to post about this. Anyway, thanks to Omega for the warning post.

I also confirm that I received the same email. Newbs be careful, you should not fall in greed to grab free BTC0.5. That's how scammers catch their victims.

edit: This how my spam folder looks now, I haven't deleted till now to see how far it goes.
I tried to stop greedy shits to sale email databases in this forum by reporting to mods, but I am not reporting those threads anymore because my accuracy dropped a lot.
The reason maybe mods don't delete those threads after I report and the accuracy dropping constantly. We can't stop greedy shits all over the internet but can prevent in bitcointalk.

This screenshot is my spam folder only... my inbox is not here... I always keep my inbox clean.
suzanogbomo

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2018, 10:42:09 PM

Scammers at work,i see alot of these in my email.i just delete them even without reading them,anything that promises so much free stuff at no cost is likely to be a scam.they are loking for ways t get your login details
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 11:10:37 PM

The email address: support@binancesupport.co

Once again, I want that to say I'm very careful where I use my email. This just shows that some crypto services are leaking/selling user emails.

Thanks for the heads up. There has been a surge in the amount of phishing emails across all crypto platforms recently, not just Binance. But these phishing emails can certainly cause damage to a lot of newbies, so they should definitely be on the look out for these.

What you said is probably happening, leaking/selling of emails from crypto services is probably happening on a large scale. We just don't know which exchanges or services are doing it. It's no wonder that you're receiving these emails if you are signing up to shady sites, but you said that you are extremely careful with your email, so that's a completely different story. I remember that cryptopia at one stage had a lot of attempted sign ins, potentially from leaked crypto emails as well.

Just be careful of where you put your email, even though it doesn't guarantee 100% that your email won't be leaked. Also, use your common sense when it comes to messages that promise you monetary rewards. They are likely scams.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 11:44:21 PM

I'm not exactly sure if certain services are actually selling or leaking user information, but the main source of this problem is because people use the same email address for many different sites and services. In most cases faucets and other related sites are getting hacked because they are easy targets due to their poor overall security. Their databases contain crucial information that will likely grant them access to exchanges eventually, especially so when people click on links within the phishing mails. If even 5% of the people end up falling for these phishing mails, the scums behind them will consider it to be a great achievement. The flood gates are open, literally....
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 12:57:00 PM

Did you use the same email somewhere else too? It could be easier to find out which one turned out to be a fraud, if you list them out. Did you run a malware scan for the download link?

Worst part is that a lot of the online crypto services have a totally different link for their service and a totally different link for their support. So users get easily misleaded of necessary protective actions aren't taken up by an individual.

As far as I can remember, It's just a bunch of exchanges. I'm suspecting Liqui or Cryptopia as they are not very reputable and as for the link I didn't scan because It's too obvious.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 08:05:04 PM

I wonder if the email went directly in your inbox and not in spam folder.
Anyway, you can try https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your email has been compromised in a data breach. Cryptopia insists that their site wasn't hacked before (during the failed log in attempts issue), and recommended this site to check too.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 10:18:10 AM

Only ones that would fall for these would probably be newcomers that are greedy. That's about it. Otherwise, it's obvious to anyone that it's a phishing email. But new people to bitcoin probably wouldn't even have their emails leaked in the first place, unless they sign up to a crap ton of dodgy crypto sites.

This is pretty similar to the twitter phishing comments where they someone says send x amount and we'll double your money, etc.

Note that almost all of these phishing scams revolve around the greed of the recipient, or whoever is reading the content. If you see any piece of mail, or post, saying that you'll be rewarded handsomely for doing something really easy/sending money to them, think twice before doing it, it's probably a scam.

Anyway, you can try https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your email has been compromised in a data breach. Cryptopia insists that their site wasn't hacked before (during the failed log in attempts issue), and recommended this site to check too.

I don't think it includes all leaks, though. New exchange leaks may not have registered in their database yet.

Smiley
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2898
Merit: 773

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 11:54:40 AM

Same thing goes thru my mind where the email was directly in the inbox not on the spam folder. Just like omega ive been careful on all things when im using up email but still it do leak out and being send up by those phishing links which usually on my spam folder.I don't care anymore on which service might leak up my email but as long you are aware and have a very sharp eyes when it comes to frauds then this thing wont really bother you too much since you can spot it directly.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 09:22:13 AM

I got three results but none of them are crypto related and I'm pretty sure I never used these sites before so I doubt phishing attempts are coming from there.

I have also received another email (the same as the one posted in the OP) last night.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 08:43:22 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2018, 08:54:23 PM by jhenfelipe

I got three results but none of them are crypto related and I'm pretty sure I never used these sites before so I doubt phishing attempts are coming from there.

I have also received another email (the same as the one posted in the OP) last night.
timerland has a point about the site not having all leaks in the database (especially the new ones). Most likely it came from another source. However, how come your email was detected if you never used the sites before?

Maybe the hacker(s) failed in fooling Binance users, so they did a second attempt. I also saw another user on reddit who got the same email again. I'm not sure what was Binance solution to this, but their reddit mod is sending a message to those who report that they receive the said email (see here and here).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: