Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:35:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20nm asic miner technology  (Read 3419 times)
ayayay (OP)

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:03:09 PM

Am I correct to say this is the latest asic technology?  any word of a newer more advanced  asic coming down the road and if yes when?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain-based credit card payments for legal marijuana. ▬▬
...GREENMED.IO... ❱❱❱  facebook  ❱❱❱  twitter  ❱❱❱  slack  ❱❱❱ ......PRE-ICO | September4th, 2017
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ WHITEPAPER ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vpasic

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:01:07 PM

not yet.
KNC Neptune is only one announced and release date is unknown.

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
Silv0r

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:11:47 PM

Not only KnC! Hashblaster releases a 20nm ASIC too!  Grin (...not)

https://www.hashblaster.com/

gamersglory

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

No more Crypto in this world

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:12:10 AM

Unless someone can get Intel to use there 14nm process then yes 20nm is as small as it gets right now  Wink
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 02:05:09 AM

It's not just the size that counts.

The numbers you should care about are delivery time, BTC/GH, and W/GH.  Technical details are interesting, but if they don't improve those three numbers they're not really relevant.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 02:34:02 AM

Yeah yeah. That's what all the guys say. Wink

Lol J/K, but you really are right. It always amazed me how KNC was a 28nm ASIC, and yet the BitFury chips are 55nm and consumed less power (per GHs). What's the advantage of a small 28nm process if a competitors 55nm chip is more efficient, and runs cooler?

(yes, I know the actual answer of how BitFury is more efficient, but I still think it's funny).

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 01:13:43 AM

Lol J/K, but you really are right. It always amazed me how KNC was a 28nm ASIC, and yet the BitFury chips are 55nm and consumed less power (per GHs). What's the advantage of a small 28nm process if a competitors 55nm chip is more efficient, and runs cooler?
(yes, I know the actual answer of how BitFury is more efficient, but I still think it's funny).
I facepalm just a little bit every time I see someone brag that KNC was the first to 28nm. (hell, if you're going to be that liberal: there were people running on 28nm _FPGAs_ a LONG time before KNC shipped Tongue )
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 04:18:10 AM

I facepalm just a little bit every time I see someone brag that KNC was the first to 28nm. (hell, if you're going to be that liberal: there were people running on 28nm _FPGAs_ a LONG time before KNC shipped Tongue )
Where did I say that KNC was the first to use 28nm? I don't even own any KNC hardware. I was just saying that 28nm SHOULD be more power efficient, but in the case of KNC vs BitFury, they're not.

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 04:55:00 AM

Where did I say that KNC was the first to use 28nm? I don't even own any KNC hardware. I was just saying that 28nm SHOULD be more power efficient, but in the case of KNC vs BitFury, they're not.
I also face-palm when I agree with someone and say 'yea right, and don't you also hate it when' and they think I'm saying they're doing it.  I'm not. The fact that bitfury is more efficient at 55nm is a concrete example of why bragging about 28nm is silly.
gamersglory

Activity: 114

No more Crypto in this world

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:32:50 AM

Yes most of the good chips are on a 28nm die. 20nm is going to be very overpriced sense its newer process. but the reason you go for the smaller process is you get a better yield on the wafer.         
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:59:32 PM

I also face-palm when I agree with someone and say 'yea right, and don't you also hate it when' and they think I'm saying they're doing it.  I'm not. The fact that bitfury is more efficient at 55nm is a concrete example of why bragging about 28nm is silly.
Ah, I gotcha now. Sorry I was a bit tired and out of it last night, so when you quoted me, I was like huh? Wink

xselam1988

Activity: 59

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 06:12:06 PM

Yeah yeah. That's what all the guys say. Wink

yea thats what I think about,LOLOLOL
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 06:15:30 PM

The numbers you should care about are delivery time, BTC/GH, and W/GH.  Technical details are interesting, but if they don't improve those three numbers they're not really relevant.

The correct unit is J/GH  you may also say W/(GH/s)

I try to be respectful and informed.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 08:34:37 PM

But the pedantry doesn't extend to correcting $/GH? Or do your miners only perform a fixed number of hash operations during their lives? Tongue
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:21:10 PM

But the pedantry doesn't extend to correcting $/GH? Or do your miners only perform a fixed number of hash operations during their lives? Tongue

I think that $/GH or BTC/GH are well formed units.

I try to be respectful and informed.
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 09:44:53 PM

Unless someone can get Intel to use there 14nm process then yes 20nm is as small as it gets right now  Wink

Intel's Labs have a 10nm chip, but that doesn't mean we'll see anytime soon! Smiley
brontosaurus

Activity: 441

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:08:29 PM

What everyone forgets is that an efficient 28nm design will, for sha256 at least, outperform an inefficient 20nm one. KNC, for example, did  a conversion from an FPGA for their 28nm design - soon to be ported to 20nm, and if you calculate back from their watts/GH metric, you can see that their pipelines must contain about 35 - 50% more switching gates than normal. So what's the advantage in paying twice as much NRE and probably three times as much for the silicon? This to be expected from a conversion.

Likewise, in certain circumstances a full custom 40nm design could easily outperform a 28nm (or even 20nm) design done at gate level, but it's an order of magnitude more difficult to implement unless you really know what you're doing, and not many asic designers nowadays have the necessary skills.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:31:21 PM

What everyone forgets is that an efficient 28nm design will, for sha256 at least, outperform an inefficient 20nm one. KNC, for example, did  a conversion from an FPGA for their 28nm design - soon to be ported to 20nm, and if you calculate back from their watts/GH metric, you can see that their pipelines must contain about 35 - 50% more switching gates than normal. So what's the advantage in paying twice as much NRE and probably three times as much for the silicon? This to be expected from a conversion.

Likewise, in certain circumstances a full custom 40nm design could easily outperform a 28nm (or even 20nm) design done at gate level, but it's an order of magnitude more difficult to implement unless you really know what you're doing, and not many asic designers nowadays have the necessary skills.
Mmm could you imagine a BitFury chip or something similar at 20nm?

Hippievogel

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:44:44 AM

The numbers you should care about are delivery time, BTC/GH, and W/GH.  Technical details are interesting, but if they don't improve those three numbers they're not really relevant.

The correct unit is J/GH  you may also say W/(GH/s)

maybe thats the correct unit of measurement but it is shit to say because you dont pay joule on your Energy bills. the pricing is in kwh.
W/(GH/s) is better
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:11:41 AM

The numbers you should care about are delivery time, BTC/GH, and W/GH.  Technical details are interesting, but if they don't improve those three numbers they're not really relevant.

$ per GH/s that is the real important number along with delivery date especially when you are making that miner.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: